Lightning Strikes!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bgmacaw, Aug 15, 2019.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Lightning hit our house in the early morning hours and did some damage. It came in around our fireplace area, blowing the mantle away from the wall, shattering the slate hearth and scorching the carpet. Dust and debris plus a little ash went all over the family room. A charger plugged into a nearby outlet was thrown about 15 feet. 4 TVs and 3 computers were destroyed as the power surged through our circuits, taking out about half the circuit breakers.

The worst part for me was it also got my Mooer Radar. While my pedal board was off, the Radar was still connected by USB to one of the affected computers. Zap! It's gone.

The good thing was that there was no serious fire and none of us were near the blast zone. That would have been terrible. Now we just have to get stuff fixed or replaced and hassle with the insurance company.

Here's what the damage looks like...

lightning2.jpg lightning1.jpg

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow. Up here on this mountain, I installed tons of lightning protection, but I don't think much can protect from a direct hit. Thank goodness your family is okay and relatively little damage. Have you looked at the roof yet?

Sincere good luck with the insurance company.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry about the damage....but yeah....glad no one was hurt!
    Don't mean to be flip, but can I post one of my all time favorite Who songs?

verb boten and Chunkocaster like this.
  4. deus56

deus56 TDPRI Member

Damn,. as said above glad no one was hurt.
    MOJO sent

Greggorios, Piggy Stu and nojazzhere like this.
  5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yikes. Glad no one was injured. We had a lot of lightening pass through Houston last night. We needed the rain but only got thunder and lightning.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, I have never considered what would happen if lightning struck my home. Hope it didn't crack that foundation. I can only remember hearing reports of trees and people being damaged by lightning.

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Many years ago, lightning struck the power line pole at the back of my lot......caused a surge to hit my breaker panel, and knocked out most of the panel. Luckily, the damage stopped there, and didn't kill the house wiring as well.

Shuster, Greggorios and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

That's lucky, I have a circuit breaker and safety switch on the power board in my house but I suppose the lightning could be so fast and heavy that it could still send a charge through before the safety switch could do its job. I may consider buying surge protected power strips for all the appliances just to be safe. It's a lot cheaper than replacing fried gear. Plenty of times it's felt like lightning has struck my house. We get a lot of electrical storms.

Greggorios, Piggy Stu and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I believe you might have been victim of what is known as "Ball Lightning". I've seen it in the fields before, just a ball of lightning that will float along before going in through a window or down a chimney and "Bang". That is often the trademark to ball lightning in that it enters a home through the chimney, window, or open door. Scarey stuff to be certain.

I do not like lightning (been struck twice in my life) and often hide in the basement during storms despite the odds of ever being struck a 3rd time.

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

This is the only lightnin' I want around here from now on...

13. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

My house itself was not hit but several years ago where we used to live, lightening hit a large tree about 15 feet from the house. You could see where it tracked through the ground towards the house. It fried the phones and the tv, the stereo, and related equipment.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Have you considered a lightning rod / lightning conductor?

Greggorios and TheGoodTexan like this.
  15. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

This brings up a question that I had the other night... we had a strong lightning storm too, but no damage.

When I worked for my dad as a kid, doing the pre-wiring for home theater installs (I was the monkey that had to crawl through the rafters), he always had me drive a long rod into the ground outside the house, and all of the equipment and components we installed were grounded to it... somehow. I'm not exactly sure how all of it was connected, because someone else did all of that (again, I just did the grunt work). But dad always said that it was a form of protection against lightning strikes, hoping that the surge would be sent to the rod buried into the ground and dissipate there, rather than in the house.

I may have some of those details wrong (30+ years ago), but it was a long (five feet?) iron rod drove into the ground (cause I did it), connected to the house in some way.

16. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

You were reading my mind.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Wow. Sorry for that, but glad no harm to the family.
    Lightnin' Hopkins, yes!

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Our house has grounding but the electrician suspects that the current traveled from the ground up into the house because of the pattern of damage and scorching. We did add a whole house surge protector to protect the power panel.

19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I saw lightning strike the neighbors tree across the street. Loudest sound I ve ever heard. It blew off the houses gutter and fried their oven and phone system. It killed a squirrel. Blew all the fur off it's tail giving it a Rat tail.
    My girlfriend had lightning come in her screen door and hit the kitchen sink faucet...twice!
    Glad you're ok. The exact opposite of the saying is true, as demonstrated by lots of anacdotes. Lightning strikes a place for a reason, so twice is not prohibited. I d get a rod.

20. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

I can count probably on one hand the number of houses I've seen with lightning rod arrays... I see many more barns with them. Why aren't lightning rods more common?

I was once about 500 ft away from a really big oak tree that got struck and split in two... The loudest thing I've ever heard. Scared the crud out of me!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.