Lighten a too dark tinted clear coat?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Fullmoon07, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

It is my understanding that a poly Sunburst finish will turn darker when exposed to sunlight.
    Is there any technique to make a poly Sunburst finish lighter through a different light exposure? I had a maple top Les Paul done in a bourbon burst and expected a lemon yellow center. The refinisher finished the project with an amber tinted clear coat that made it too brown. Short of refinishing it is there anyway to lighten it up?

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

No.

Lies&Distortion likes this.
  3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

^^^This.

Sorry. It just can't be done.

4. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

+3, it is what it is. Now how you address that with your finisher is another story.

Eric

5. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

Well, yes sunlight will lighten a poly burst guitar....but it will take a very long time.
    About 12 or more years ago I got ahold of a '99 Am.Standard 3-tone burst body that someone had tried to relic. It had some scars and scratches, nothing too damaging so I figured I'd do something with it someday. In the meantime I set in out on the balcony where it would get direct sunlight during the day but still be safe from rain and snow. "Forgot" about it and left it there for 3 years. The red in the burst did lighten, not like a vintage guitar would have, but it did look better...that more defined boundary of red to reddish-yellow faded. Had I left it out there another 3 years it probably would have looked like a 2-tone. That would have taken 6 years. Instead I used the body and a neck I stuck on it as a test bed for "experiments", never really doing anything conclusive. Then I got the itch for a butterscotch finish 50's looking Tele so figured I'd use that body and build that around the body.
    Poly finishes are very hard to remove. I've stripped an AVRI body and by comparison that was easy...sand thru the clear coat finish in as many place as you can and then let the stripper do it's thing. Doesn't work that way on poly. I even bought a mouse sander and using 80 grit pads couldn't remove enough poly to get finish stripper to work and after go thru about 15 pads I'd only damaged the clear coat, it probably could have buffed in back to a good shine....it's that tough of a finish. 40 grit pads finally did the trick and I managed to strip the body.

Fullmoon07 likes this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I don't know anything about poly but nitrocellulose lacquer usually turns more amber and darkens with age. These are all fifty or more years old

IMG_0184.JPG

Fullmoon07 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.