Light Weight 2x10 Speaker Combination for Brownface Super Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by teleman78, May 21, 2020.

1. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

I'm so stoked about this pair: G10 Greenback and EMI GA-SC64 in my Vibrolux, Probably sound sweet in a Brown Super!

singlecoil, Dukex and theprofessor like this.
  2. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have no idea what they weigh but the original Red Alnico Tone Tubbies and a Brown Super are a match made in heaven

Dukex likes this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I'll bet that does sound good. Makes me want to try it.

noname_dragon likes this.
  4. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Plenty of great suggestions already. Unless the speakers are JBL's or EVM's (or Tone Tubbys), I would not worry too much about the weight. If anything, the cabinet material will have more bearing on heaviness. Another 3 lbs or so from speakers would not make much difference to me, so I would choose solely on tone.

My personal favorite combo for Fender 2x10's - Weber 10F150 & 10F150T. Very loud and lots of headroom, but I like my amps to be monsters.

Dukex likes this.
  5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I run a Jensen 12-100 and a Celestion Neo Creamback in my 58 Twin. I love this combo. But, of course, these are 12". But, I say it to tell you not to be afraid fo neo speakers! If you really want lightweight...

I also am a huge fan of the Eminence 1028 speakers, though. They are feather light and sound great with Fender amps.

6. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I had a 6G4A for a while, the 1028Ks sounded great in that amp. I ran a pair of WGS G10C’s for a long time too, probably my favorite ceramics that I tried in that amp, but made it way too heavy.

Best of luck, those are great amps!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Dukex likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, I had those Webers in a 73 Vibrolux. Superb sound, but too loud to use and made it a heavy amp too. We played a big old roller rink that had been turned into a club. They had a soundman, everything was mic'd. At break I asked him it sounded he said "Great, but you're too loud, I turned your amp mic off and you're still too loud." The Vibrolux was on 3.5 volume.!

8. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

I won’t get into it too much, but most soundguys and club owners these days are control freaks and want the most neutered guitar tone possible. I get that you don’t want to be drowning out the band, but listening back on recordings and videos, it’s pretty sad sounding.

schmee likes this.
  9. 84GTIRookie

84GTIRookie TDPRI Member

I have experience with two 10" speakers - the WGS Vet 10 - excellent vintage tone & as already mentioned, really light weight! A 2x10 of the Vet 10 would be amazing in my mind. I also have experience with Weber Blue Pup 10" (I have the 30W as Weber said it was not as spikey bright on top end... which it isn't, if fact, with my tele it's got all the high's you'd need but not over the top spikey) which is a great alnico speaker. Haven't weighted the Weber, but about 1 1/2 times the weight of the Vet 10, which since they are 10", doesn't amount to much. Weber was way more money though.

The speaker I'd be interested (and almost bought) for the same price as the Weber Blue Pup 10 is the Eminence GA10-SC59, which seems like an amazing speaker (same price as Blue Pup if you factor in shipping), and is quoted as 2.9 pounds on Eminence website. There's a great video showing broken in GA10-SC59's vs. non broken in vs. the original vintage Jensen P10R's, if that's the sound you're going for. Amazing what broken in does!

I am still experimenting with speakers so much, so haven't settled on a specific 2x10, but rather have the two 10" speakers mentioned above, plus two 12" speakers --- a vintage 12" Rola alnico, plus I have on order a Jensen C12Q, so I can have a 4x setup with two being 10" and two at 12" all in separate cabs, so I can mix & match as 1, 2, or 4 speakers at once.

Here are videos of the Blue Pup, Vet 10, and broken in GA10-SC59's:

Minivan Megafun and Dukex like this.
  10. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Another big vote for the 1028. Best 10 inch speaker I have owned out of many many of any weight class.

11. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

My goodness, the first video the broken in GA10's just blow away the Jensens! They sound alive and the Jensens sound totally flat.

12. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I concur with folks who have mentioned
    a pair of 1028's. I really like them, they sound great to me~search over:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.