Light Weight 2x10 Speaker Combination for Brownface Super Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by teleman78, May 21, 2020.

1. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Hello friends,

I'm having someone build me a Brownface Super Amp (6G4-A) in a 2x10 stock configuration. I want to put the lightest set of 2x10 speakers I can on this that still sound good. I've been told that I should put Weber 10A125, 10F150, DT10, but these are over 5 lbs each, I want to keep the overall weight of both speakers under 7 lbs if at all possible or as close to 7 lbs it as possible.

I've come up with the following chart that shows the lightest speakers I could find, I would love your recommendations based on your experience for this amp.

Thanks so much!!!

Attached Files:

2. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

I've got the same amp and some of those speakers you've mentioned. The 10F150 is a very heavy speaker and IMO not a good fit for this amp in terms of tone (I dropped a pair of 10F150 in there and took them out within a couple days. Too bold and loud). I've currently got a pair of Eminence Blue Frame alnico's in there (the 1028K is the same speaker) and they're good. I find they're a little lacking in the low end but have a very vintagey tone.

I'm on the fence about whether to sell this amp but if I end up keeping it I plan to order a set of 10A125's as those are my favourite 10's. They're a little heavier than the Eminence but not excessively so.

Personally, I'd stay away from all the Jensen reissues. I've never met a P10R reissue in any amp that I've actually liked. They sound good at low to medium volume but the moment they're pushed they get harsh and brittle. They're better suited to lower wattage amps. If you go the P10R route then go for the Eminence 1028K instead. The 1028 is Eminence's take on the P10R and they do a better job of it than Jensen.

Dukex, teleman78 and Wally like this.
  3. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well, I am not sure about the wattage requirements you'll need, but the Eminence GA10-SC64 is a fantastic speaker for lower-wattage Fender amps. In a Princeton blackface, it is a sublime choice. They are rated at 20-watts, but are lighter weight than some of the others mentioned. Net weight of speaker appears to be 3.3 lbs.

Great speaker, might be a good choice depending on how much power you're pushing.

- Bob

Dukex and teleman78 like this.
  4. Minivan Megafun

6G4-A Super is about 40 watts.

teleman78 likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say the Eminence 1028k would serve you well in that amp. They're alnico and rated at 35W each now. I'd imagine the GA10-SC64 (ceramic; 20W) would sound good too, but you might be pushing it close, power wise. I have had a pair of used Jensen "reissue" P10R's in my tweed Super clone, and I have really enjoyed them. That actually surprised me, given the common take on them.

teleman78 likes this.
  6. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Thank you. Yes, I saw that one but the amp is 40 watts, if I get these then the speakers would have the same rating as the amp and not sure if that's good.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Emi 1028s. Great speaker, very light. No shortage of bass. Efficient enough. The 1058 are more efficient if you want headroom.

8. Minivan Megafun

Most speaker manufacturers pad their published power ratings by about 50%. So if they say the speaker is 20 watts it can probably handle double that. And if your amp is 40 watts, then 2x20 watt speakers = 40 watts power handling.

noname_dragon and teleman78 like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The 10F150 should be a lot heavier than the 10A125. The DT10 is light, but they are pretty anemic sounding to me.
    I've been through the weight thing a lot. A couple extra pounds to get the tone you want is well worth it my friend.
    -I'd probably try the GA SC64 10" which are lightweight and good tone.
    -If you have the money the Weber CVC 10 or CTC 10 (I forget which one they are still making) are great in a 4 x 10, havent tried in a 2 X 10... but they are paper voice coil formers like the old CTS, Jensen were and like the GA SC64 are.
    - On a small budget the Jensen Mod 10-50 are not bad at all and dirt cheap. No bright top end. Not harsh like the P10R or the C10Q.

teleman78 likes this.
  10. Minivan Megafun

I've got a trio in my Vibro-King and they sound pretty big in there. Anemic is not a quality I'd use. They DO require a decent break in and they change tone a lot in that first 30 hours of use.

11. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Jensen neos, if your main concern is weight. I have their big brothers, Jensen Stealth 100 watt, in my Twin. The sound I use is fairly bright, crisp, with a round but focused bottom, played 95% clean. These neo speakers do a great job of that. The Stealths are the same speaker as the Tornado neo, but with a bell cover.

Stealths: 20180315_150356.jpg

12. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Thanks for all your replies. So... based on your suggestions I'm beginning to think that perhaps this might be a great combo:

Jensen Falcon 40 (Or) MOD 10-50 & Eminence 1028K... Ceramic/AlnicoCombo at 6.43 lbs total and $150 for both.

Or to safe even more weight:

Two Eminence 1028K at 5.8 lbs but more expensive at $210

13. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

WGS Veteran: 3.0 lbs = $50
    Webber Sig 10s alnico: 2.85 lbs = $65

Total: 5.85lbs = $115

tarheelbob and teleman78 like this.
  14. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Emi Legend 1028k, which along with the Emi Ragin Cajun, are two of the finest 10" speakers you will find.

15. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I have used the WGS at home, like the sound for open back cabs and they are light weight.

singlecoil and Dukex like this.
  16. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Emi 1028's are one of Wally's favourite speakers, that's all you need to know.

theprofessor likes this.
  17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Get the interior volume of the cabinet you are building and work with the one or two speaker spec sheets you've narrowed down to on this calculator (or find a similar calculator, there are several out there):

https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SpeakerBoxEnclosure/

If you play around with those enclosure calculators you'll find that the lightest weight with best performance are closed back cabinets. Ported or open backed need to use a larger case to maintain bass performance. The interior volume is important as the air acts as a spring behind the speaker either increasing or decreasing performance.

Neo magnet speaker drivers will generally give you the highest performance to weight ratio.

18. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

yeah glad to see you're open to mix & match alnico & ceramic. I know some guys here have done that with the amp I have (brown reissue Vibroverb) and have been really pleased with the result. best of luck.

19. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Jensen Mod 10-35 are 2.5 lbs each.
    Jensen Falcon 10-35 are 3.59 lbs each. I use these in 2 amps that are 1-10".

Dukex likes this.
  20. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

That's the maximum clean signal. It keeps putting out more power as you turn it up past that and get into distortion. An amp with a perfectly regulated power supply can put out twice as much power distorted as it can clean.

Real world amps have power supply sag so the distorted power will be less than double the clean rating, but that super can still put out significantly more than 40w when you're using dirtier sounds. Only you know your situation, but something to be aware of.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.