Light bulbs vs LED lights

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cerb, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, I dunno, I saw a guy in a new Corvette the other day, he seemed to be taking off pretty good.

Rowdyman and Cerb like this.
  2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

LED bulbs are better in every single way now. Plus I've got a bunch of bulbs installed that I can turn on an off remotely with my phone or set to go on or off at sunrise or sunset, sunrise and sunset being calculated for my location. AND I can set then to scheduled on/off. AND I can make them change colors.

I don't miss incandescents at all. Agree CFLs were bad

Antmax and Cerb like this.
  3. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

It's neither better nor worse for theater, just different these days. When I was working in that area, I had to sit through (rather interesting) training sessions on the differences and how to get your 'traditional' look using LEDs. And then ones where they got looks that you couldn't get with incandescents.

Biggest change for color LED fixtures was not just using RGB. We were using something like 7 colors. As I recall, the fixtures had 2 major modes. The first changed colors the way you'd expect for incandescents. The second one was pure LED. The paths got pretty wacky.

bloomz and Cerb like this.
  4. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

Naa, it's just trying to emulate the real thing but it never quite gets there. :whistling:

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yep, I like the old incandescents too. I'll probably run out some day, but I bought a ton of them before they disappeared.

Toto'sDad and Cerb like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

He was doing about a hundred miles and hour on a surface street, I'd say he got there. I'm pretty sure a cop would have taken him to jail, and let his pretty little Vette ride in on the hook.

Cerb likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

I have a garage door opener that turns the light on when you hit the up or down button. Also, there is an overhead light fixture which I put a 75 watt incandescent bulb in. I figure about the longest I leave it on is about five minutes when I use it very infrequently, it cost almost nothing when I bought it. If I put a modern bulb of equal lighting power it would probably cost me about ten bucks, or more. Where is the savings?

Rowdyman likes this.
  8. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

I need to work on my sarcastic threads :)

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Y'er doin' fine. The lightbulbs will go on over their heads eventually. Ba bumching!! :D

Jwalker99, Owenmoney and Cerb like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

I'm not offended in any way, I was just passing along how they drive in California. We live out in the northwest part of our town, it's pretty much all new out here, and the streets are wide and in good shape. The traffic signals are often used as the starter in drag races. I'm telling you bro, some of these new cars will flat get it. I don't know how they keep from going to jail. A matter of time though, a year of so ago, they set up a station in two places about three mile from me, took some to jail, wrote a LOT of tickets.

Cerb likes this.
  11. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

We had the same thing going here, they set up speed bumps that were uncomfortable doing 50. At 130 they didn't even feel them. Eventually the city gave up and just built them a drag strip.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cerb likes this.
  13. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

LOL! Good one :D

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

But TD....do you still use incandescent golf balls?

bloomz, Toto'sDad and Cerb like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

I would if I could!

bloomz, nojazzhere and Cerb like this.
  16. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

This is my assessment of light quality produced by different instruments from best to worse:

1. incandescent
    3. LED
    4. HMI
    78. CFL

There is no second place, except maybe halogen - although they are a type of incandescent.
    Also, no places are taken between 5.-77. Just my opinion.

But just like with anything else, quality matters. KinoFlo makes a descent array of CFL tubes and spiral-shaped globes that have a very high CRI, accurate temperature, and nearly no green shift. Same goes for LEDs. LEDs are used in production and music venue lighting more and more. That being said, my list still stands.

Cerb likes this.
  17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Get your digital car remapped and be amazed!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Cerb likes this.
  18. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Canada is a cold country. Incandescent bulbs create heat and light. When it is twenty-five degrees below zero in Edmonton, Alberta, it is not correct to say that an incandescent bulb is wasting electricity by producing a large amount of heat along with the light. In Mogadishu this may be relevant. In cold, cold Canada it is not really much of a concern. I like the low power consumption of L.E.D. lights but I dislike the effect on my eyes.

tvvoodoo and Cerb like this.
  19. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Honestly, I'm surprised there are that many holdouts who prefer the old school incandescent bulbs. Some of the early LEDs did put off odd color spectrums compared to incandescents, but once they got the color sorted out, I haven't had any issues. I've gradually replaced all the old incandescents in my house as they burned out with LEDs with no problem or issue.

howardlo, Cerb and nojazzhere like this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Canada is a cold country -- sez the comrade from Vancouver? It's in the 30s all summer where I live.

But let's suppose it's cold. While the heat given off by the bulb is not wasted, could not the energy still be wasted if there are more efficient ways to generate that heat? I don't know, I'm just asking.

OTOH. Mrs LoveHandles has been working on the finishing touches to our renovated bathroom. Af first, she didn't like the colour of the light given off by the LEDs over the mirror -- too yellow. (This time, I'm serious!) She got some more bluish ones, although to my eyes I can't see a difference, but no matter. Now the light hue is good but there's something else wrong. When you wave your hand it looks strobed. It's subtle but I can see it, too. This may be because there's a dimmer, but she gave up and went with incandescent.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Cerb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.