1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lifting weights as you age

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by swervinbob, Oct 26, 2020.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I love kettlebells. When my body gets more used to the lifting, I'll throw in some swings and cleans. I've got a 30, 40, and 53 in my shed. I've also got some Farmer's Carry bars also. A few years ago, I was doing kettlebell complexes and doing farmer carries all of the time.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    E5RSY likes this.
  2. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm 62 and I lift 260 every day.

I lift myself out of bed, I lift myself out of my recliner, I lift myself off the toilet...

Asmith, fenderese and swervinbob like this.
  3. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I’ve been working out pretty regularly for the past 53 years. Weights, Kettlebells, swimming, etc., and I’ll keep at it as long as I can.

The older we get, the more important staying fit becomes.

Engine Swap and swervinbob like this.
  4. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

I favor an elliptical with the resistance set high, not for aero but for strength.
    But I haven't actually used it in about three years.
    Do believe in it. Might start.

swervinbob likes this.
  5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I don’t lift but at near 70 I walk a few miles per day, ride a stationary bike for 20-30 minutes, do 50 pushups and a few pull-ups + too much daily PT to keep shoulder, back and neck problems at bay. I have a Bowflex too but haven’t used it much the past year.

Asmith, radiocaster and swervinbob like this.
  6. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I ain't in no shape to exercise.

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Six years and a bit after a heart attack, a diagnosis of uncontrolled Type II diabetes and quadruple bypass surgery, I am more than 30 lbs. lighter and drug free. At my doctor's recommendation and under supervision, I now control my diabetes with diet and exercise.

The diet part is not someone's prepackaged fad diet, but eating based upon common sense principles, a focused lifestyle change that I sum up with the motto, "I don't live to eat; I eat to live." My focus wasn't on weight loss per se, but on reversing my tendency to eat myself into an early grave. I eat healthier, eat less and do a variation of intermittent fasting.

The exercise part is walking. My wife and I walk 3 miles a day in town, and on our camping trips we hike trails, often two trails per day, to the tune of something like 5-6 miles per day.

But now I believe the next thing for me is strengthening my core with some kind of weight training. This isn't the first time I've thought about this, or even talked about it here on TDPRI. But this thread is a good reminder, so I'm following this thread with interest.

Mike Eskimo, fendertx and swervinbob like this.
  8. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, doing more push-up's, chin-up's, pull-up's, dips, sit-up's, etc. will cause less wear and tear than power lifting.

swervinbob likes this.
  9. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

If you are over 50, definitely don't do powerlifting.

I don't want any more competition in the Masters division than I already have.

swervinbob likes this.
  10. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell TDPRI Member

I'm 40 and trying to get back into lifting.

It's not an easy task, especially due to a series of injuries.

swervinbob likes this.
  11. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

After fairly major abdominal surgery I’m mainly into walking and some core work. Having to be really careful.

swervinbob likes this.
  12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

@blue metalflake as I posted earlier, I'm post-quadruple bypass surgery and have been doing several miles of walking a day, and I've been thinking the next thing for me is working on my body core. Would you please elaborate on what you do for your "core work"?

swervinbob likes this.
  13. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It's critical to think about your joints as you age. They will not hold up over time with heavy lifting. Stretching and reducing weight with reps will keep you strong and flexible. Endurance and stamina require other aerobic work.
    I'm almost 67 and been a gym rat for over 40 years. I've had to modify my workouts over time, but I keep at it - 2 hours per day, 4-5 days per week.

swervinbob likes this.
  14. fenderese

fenderese Tele-Holic

(66 here) a weeks worth of prework picking up endposts from 40 ac of grapes (at 50-75 lbs ea), tossing them on and unloading from a trailer have left me with the impression that this weekend warrior thing is a young man's game; some 20 lb dumbells are on the birthday list.

swervinbob and gimmeatele like this.
  15. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I'm 63 and have been doing pushups three times a week for the past month and a half or so. I had been doing four sets a day - starting with 20 per set and working up to 35 per set (i.e. last week I did 140 each day M-W-F). I have started to firm up my upper body quite a bit, but wanted something that got engaged the core more.

This week, after talking to a fitness expert I'm mixing it up - I'm doing a set of ten pushups and then immediately flipping over and doing ten crunches or leg lifts, flipping back over and repeating. So far, it seems that four sets gets me breathing quite heavily. I plan on repeating this two or three times over the course of the day. I will try and get to five rotations per set later this week or next week and keep building up this way.

Prior to Covid, I was doing TRX for strength and flexibility and refereeing soccer for aerobic, but I can't do TRX at home (no space) and there are no soccer games in my area until probably March so I figure this new routine will give me some aerobic benefit as well as toning.

swervinbob likes this.
  16. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

61 now and gave up weights about 10 years ago, now use exercise bands of different pull, I think my biggest has 120lb pull, so using 60 lb, 35lb and 15lb pull, I can get a good work out, sadly running is out of the question due to injuries, but have 250 metre climb up quite a steep hill to get home, so that substitutes for cardio

swervinbob likes this.
  17. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

im doing a sheet of exercises given to me at hospital. All concentrating on pelvic muscles mainly.
    The surgeon told me the best thing I could do was walking so I manage 4 or 5 miles most days.

swervinbob and LGOberean like this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

if there are any openings at work there just let me know. Oh, I guess I need a house too…

I just love that area

Oh yeah, and I am sadly convinced that walking is an important key. And I can’t stand it and I can’t do it. So I bike a ton but something oddly tells me that walking a fraction of that is better? I don’t know, walking is so damn boring. Oh yeah and it kills my back too…:lol:

swervinbob likes this.
  19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I'm 60 and will be 61 this December.

I do 4 sets of 50 squats and sit ups 3 times a week, and 4 sets of 50 push ups and 4 sets of 35 curls using 15 lb. weights 2 times a week.

This keeps in pretty good good shape.

I hope to keep up the routine as long as I physically can.

gimmeatele and swervinbob like this.
  20. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

I'm pretty young but my dad had a hernia around my age. I have been starting to lift but still worried about getting a hernia. Any recommendations to avoid injury?

swervinbob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.