1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lifting weights as you age

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by swervinbob, Oct 26, 2020.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

48 now. Always was pretty active until the last couple of years. Just let myself go pretty good. Recently, I’ve finally got back to doing old school powerlifting lifts. I know I have a lot of body weight to get off, and I’ve cleaned up my diet, but it just feels better getting my whole core stronger. The way I see it, as long as your body isn’t torn up, for me, this is the best thing for it.

Stubee, M2roadwarrior, bcorig and 6 others like this.
  2. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Focus more on strength training and flexibility as you age. Power lifting is asking for trouble. Get some cardio in the mix too.

Good on you for getting back - Really missing the gym over the last 6 months.

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Very good. I work with two sizes of small barbells but past 60 and back issues means I have to be really careful about injury.

For the age topic, I'm finding most important is keep busy and diversify. I love MTB riding and skiing but mix it up with stretching, trail building, and walking with bits of running mixed in. With a mostly at computer job I do a small amount of motion and activity if not exercise once per hour.

We're all different so I think you should do 1-2 things that work for you that are no doubt work like the weight lifting in your case and also mix it up. The mixing it up and regular activities have also helped me stay at it.

swervinbob likes this.
  4. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

Trust me, I’m not going for competitive powerlifting. I’m just doing the lifts to build up my core strength. Squat, bench, dead, overhead press, and bent over rows. All hit your entire core if done correctly. I stretch every morning and lift three times a week with these split into two day splits.

Engine Swap and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

57 and I run some and use a Bulgarian Body Bag
    Same deal as sandbag workouts

swervinbob likes this.
  6. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I've been lifting for over 40 years.

Nothing seriously heavy; just light weights to stay toned and firm.

It's helped.

I ride bike for cardio stuff; but I should ride more often.

swervinbob likes this.
  7. Hounded Dog

Hounded Dog TDPRI Member

Doing some weight lifting as you get older directly addresses the cell regeneration issue! The micro tears in your muscles need constant repair, so you're always generating new cells. It's awesome!

swervinbob likes this.
  8. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I just restarted exercising after being idle a LONG time.

I'm unusual because I lose appetite if I don't exercise. So, for me, exercising means gaining weight. (I'm normally 6'3" and about 170 lbs).

I've put on 15 lbs in the past 2 months, and am very happy about it. I exercise 5 days during the week.

1 run day of 1.5 mile with big hills. I pick the warmest day of the week, I hate cold.
    1 chest day - 4 variations of pushups, dumbell press (plus jump rope and situps)
    1 back day - dumbell rows, shrugs, high pulls, light deadlifts (plus jump rope)
    1 day of core/shoulders - turkish getups, overhead press, squats, shoulder lifts (and jump rope)

I'm looking to purchase bigger weights when I see them in stock at the stores. I'm also buying a pullup station (power tower) at the end of this month for the house. Pull ups are critical for back health. The tower will let me do bw rows, pullups, and dips.

The 5th day is a fun day - whatever I feel like doing. Usually it is another pushup or core day. When I have the pullup bar, I'll be doing that I think. Sometimes it is playing sports with the kids/church.

I'm 40, and look more at body building than strength training. Lighter weights, more repetitions, constant tension. I also changed my diet accordingly and focus a lot more on cleaner foods (high protein and carbs, healthy fats). I've cut out most junk food, because I get full before I get the macros I want. I think the body building (muscle gains) are safer for old joints than the high weight strength training and power lifting. I make sure to add cardio though, for heart and circulation health. That is a big risk with age.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    swervinbob likes this.
  9. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I used to have a 200 lb adjustable sandbag. Super cheap to build, super effective for training. Thanks for the reminder, maybe the way to go since weights are out of stock EVERYWHERE!

swervinbob likes this.
  10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm still hitting the GYM 4 to 5 days a week I started going on a regular basis about 12 years ago. What I was taught at my age it's more about cardio than weights, I still workout on weight machines but average 40 minutes a day cardio and some days coming home and taking the dog for a 2+mile walk. Myself I was in construction my whole life so I was in pretty good shape to start with but when I retired I joined the GYM I've always been active and still am . One thing I have learned especially about going to a GYM Starting your day working out is great for your mental health just a big boost in the morning and have met some good friends on the way. BTW our gym is in a 20,000 sq ft tent right now the inside is open with machines spaced far apart but I enjoy outside better especially when the parking lot lights go off at 7:17. It was closed for about 3 months

Attached Files:

swervinbob likes this.
  11. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

In my 20's I weight trained and rode in elevators daily. I am pushing 50 and I completely changed my approach, especially with "work from home". I have been doing a lot of lower cross exercises to combat working at a desk using a 15 lbs. medicine ball. Now I am thinking about incorporating some dumbbells as well. The difference now is I am not concerned about building mass like I wanted to in the 90's, I just want to maintain muscle mass and flexibility these days.
    The things that hasn't changed is natural rush/high after a good work out.

swervinbob likes this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Good luck doing squats for the next ten years...:rolleyes:

You’ll be able do them and then one day your body will tell you - nope.

But - don’t stop lifting.

Upper body strength just evaporates post-40. Even in me and I have a physical job.

I now own tools/equipment I can no longer lift. :(

swervinbob and MilwMark like this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve switched to body weight, Kettle bells, bands and medicine balls. In each case focusing on range of motion and BALANCE, multiple planes of movement while building strength and FLEXIBILITY.

Never felt better. Resistive balance is really great. Lots of nagging shoulder, chest and hip issues that plagued me in my teens and twenties are gone. Wish I knew about this regimen then, honestly.

14. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Afflicted

I'm about 35 years into it. It's a matter of survival at this point lol.

SacDAve and swervinbob like this.
  15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

honestly my body is singing the roadware blues. broken bones, cancer, covid19 all before 73 years old, I'm not belly achin' at a pity party just yet, my body served me very well, so really I've got no complaints like some I know.... poor me, poor me, pour me another drink. nah my body got me this far and deserves credit for it's performance given the lack of owner maintenance. I one of those lucky guys with a great functioning body and classically handsome to a flaw. Do you ever wake up, look in the mirror and think I'm so pretty it's a sin?
    Well be that as it may, It's time to slow down abit, watch some netflixs, Women's full contact kickboxing, Congressional debates, the weather report, the test pattern. Just chill out in the veg-out after a long life of non- participator drop out-ness.

KrazyKat border.jpg

cravenmonket and swervinbob like this.
  16. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Maintenance of lean body mass (muscle) will slow the rate of age related cognitive decline, risk of dementia, Diabetes, Hypertension, and certain cancers. Lift 3-4 times. Per week with adequate rest. I spend 45 minutes every other morning doing certain stretch and resistance exercises in addition to lifting the weights I have at home. Our gyms have been closed.
    Maintaining balance and core strength are important and will lead to fewer mechanical falls in the later years.
    Eliminating abdominal fat reduces the risk of heart disease, Diabetes, certain cancers and diseases of inflammatory origin such as Rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. It also reduces the risk of a severe COVID-19 infection. BMI of 25 or less is ideal.
    Of course aerobic exercise is important but vigorous exercise will burn muscle.
    Watch your Vitamin D levels and get them normalized as possible protection vs COVID-19 infection, bone strength and cognitive decline (some say).
    The diet is 80% of weight loss. Look at al the crap you eat or drink (you know what they are) and decide how much less of that you need. Protein. No fat diets can result in constant hunger.
    I started at age 37. It’s not too late.

swervinbob likes this.
  17. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my knees are shot and shoulders...i do as much as i can dealing with those issues

i just made a pull up bar...i cannot do a pull up yet from a hang...im doing cheaters...but i still feel like im getting a nice back workout

as someone said...focus on strength...thats what im doing

swervinbob likes this.
  18. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Yes.

If you're aiming to lose weight, it's pretty much all diet. And not some fancy designer diet with a trademark name or Instagram channel. Just plain old eating less, and eating high-quality calories. It's pretty simple.

I'm well into my 40s and (even though I do say so myself) I look better and feel better than I did in my 20s. Leaner, more muscle tone, etc... It's all from eating better, walking and cycling, and Ashtanga. I'm not a fan of the weight room vibe, so I stay away...

fendertx and swervinbob like this.
  19. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Arnold S. just had heart surgery and his kids are telling him please don't go back to the gym yet. That guy is hard core.

swervinbob likes this.
  20. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I am 53. Fully onboard with kettlebells. I just like them more than barbells. Works the body differently and more thoroughly. They recommend 35 lbs. for a man, but I started with a 15-pounder for awhile, then a 25-pounder, before going to the 35. Highly recommended. The kettlebell swing is one of the most perfect exercises there is.

https://www.onnit.com/academy/kettlebell/

MilwMark and swervinbob like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.