1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

lifetime acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by popthree, May 1, 2012.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That reads like you're not ready. My GAS killer was an easy decision when I found it but I spent almost 2 years trying guitars before that.

If it's your last or at least one that will be around a while think of comfort. I started liking OM and 00. A hand injury and age have me glad my keeper is a short scale.

Don't limit yourself to brands because so many great products are out there. The latter is also important because the feel and tone I got didn't come from a Gibson or Martin as an example of what I'm trying to say.

Have fun shopping and learning!

2. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

If that's the criteria, then it's my '35 sparkle red National Duolian. I already chased that damn guitar to South America to get it back

3. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Well, I've had mine a couple weeks now and I am floored at the tone, volume, and most importantly the sustain. I love this quote you mentioned....I can't imagine what this thing will be like in a few years :eek:

4. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted

In 1995 I thought my tobacco-sunburst Gibson J-30 was a lifetime guitar I would leave someday to one of my kids...then 14 years later I played a Martin D41 and was smitten by the sound of rosewood...I had heard D28's before, but nothing like this...on the hunt I couldn't find one like the one I played, but a Guild D55 did the ticket. Recently the J-30 got traded for a Huss & Dalton. Not sure which is the "lifetime guitar," the D55 or the DS; the D55 has THE sound, the H&D is the player...no such thing as a lifetme guitar, except for maybe sentimental reasons ;)

5. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

If i could only have one (new) it would be a D28. Vintage would be a Gibson (pre 66).

I dont much like any of the new gibsons but the old ones are superb.

New Martins (standard series and above) are superb. Just my 2 cents.

6. timgreene

timgreene Tele-Afflicted

add me in the get a D-28 camp. I would pass on the 70's models. They are nice guitars, but no truss rod adjustment, and are built a little more stout. I just sold a shaded top 73 D-35 last year. Nice guitar, and had great tone, the action was a little high. I am sure there are some nice 70's Martin's, but you will need to cull the heard, and your value will be lower. I would get a brand new one, they are building nice stuff. That being said I bought a Taylor this weekend.

7. MuddyWaters57

MuddyWaters57 TDPRI Member

Martin D18V

8. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

I heard Maury's is pretty good...

9. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

There are two problems in choosing a lifetime acoustic.

First, there's several great ones, tons of really good ones, and not too many bad ones. The opinions above show that there's no consensus, and there's lots of room for different good opinions.

Second, the reality is that none of us can choose a lifetime guitar, because the truth is that it's more like the guitar that chooses us. I'm not kidding about this. It compares to choosing a woman to marry: You can't just go out and decide on one. Instead, you have to wait and keep looking. You'll know when the right one has found you.

10. Sacdubro

Sacdubro Tele-Meister

+1 Martin
    I currently own a D Mahogany 09 with no intentions of selling, it's a keeper. However, I must admit I've been through a few nice ones in the past. In regards to purchasing online I've had very good experience buying from My Favorite Guitars and Maury's Music(40% off List). These are a few of the UMGF preferred Martin dealers to consider. Each of these dealers have favorable return policies (if needed) as well.

11. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

I go out busking on saturdays for about 3 hours and recently aquired this Greg Bennett Samick which I use into my Fishman Loudbox (mini) with a mic in the other channel and to be honest this guitar feels so good to play and has a great acoustic sound compared to a friends Gibby J200. OK its a Made In Indonesia Samick but I cant find out what model it is because the line for Model is blank on the label inside the soundhole.
    Thankfully I get plenty of favourable comments on my sound and country music singing. It seems folks around Mandurah dont go so much on buskers singing with backing tracks so I get quite a few people hang about and have a coffee and eats from a nearby cafe that allows me to run a power cord to my spot.
    If anyone can identify the model I'd appreciate it if you could let me know..:lol:

Attached Files:

12. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Then the odds are somewhere between 40%-50% that you will eventually get a divorce. My guess is that the odds are similar with guitars. :D

I still have my first guitar, a Gibson J50 Deluxe that is almost 40 years old. It's in bad shape and I don't really want to spend the money to fix but will keep it just for sentimental reasons. I like it but never really thought it was a great guitar.

Currently playing a Martin D15M that I got about a year ago. I really like this guitar and have no immediate plans to buy anything else, but "lifetime" is a long time. :)

13. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

14. baldmedic

baldmedic TDPRI Member

For what it's worth, I have been searching for over twenty years for a lifetime guitar and just found it. I traded a Gibson J45 for a Taylor 714ce-SD that is just incredible. I've owned several Martins and Gibsons, Larrivee's and Guild's, and this one is from a different world.

Try not to let Brand names dictate what you buy, You'll know when you hear it and it will whisper your name.....Jim

15. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

The best two dreadnaughts I've ever played are a Collings and a Yari. Both are real boomers, very responsive, loud, and balanced. Both belong to friends. The last dreadnaught I owned was a Taylor, and despite playing it hard for years, it never really opened up. I traded it for a mandolin. That's the hard thing about shopping for a new acoustic--you never know how it will sound once it's matured.

For what it's worth, what I think is my lifetime acoustic is a spider cone resonator made by Weber. I've only played it for five years and only owned it for one and a half (it belonged to a bandmate, though I performed with it regularly, until I talked him into selling it to me). It has already become what feels like my guitar voice. Here's a link to the model, though mine's a custom one with a darker sunburst, a deep flame in the maple, and Gibson fern-style inlay.

16. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Brand new Martin "Doobie-42" Limited Edition Tom Johnston Signature Model (#6 of 35 made)

17. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

It's funny to see this old thread again. What a difference a year makes!...

I took my J-50 to Guitar Center to see what could be done about it last spring, not really expecting much. I was just lucky, turned out that the tech at my store really knows his stuff, he also has a little company that makes hand-built acoustics. He was pretty excited about the J-50, and thought he could fix it by planing down the neck and doing a re-fret instead of a reset.

When I went to pick it up, I asked if he had any problems. He said "the only problem is that I just can't put it down." He was right, it's a fantastic guitar now. He did a lot of additional little things but only charged me the flat $400 Guitar Center rate.

I don't know if it's a "lifetime guitar", but it's very special now. And there is no way to put a price on the 40 years of memories.

18. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I'm the op and I still only dream of buying that lifetime acoustic martin taylor or gibby. Still just playing my old Seagull S6 that I've owned for 16 years now. Maybe she's my girl.

19. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

You/everyone should definately try one of these! Adirondack top and mahogany back and sides. A truly superb sounding/playing guitar that covers ALL bases, imo.

rand z

20. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

D-35. 40 years and still my #1 and only.
    (of course D-35's were only $8-900 40 years ago)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.