Life question...what motivates you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by T-bone Ted, Mar 8, 2018.

1. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I'm not motivated.

I just do things.

Because.

2. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Curtis Mayfield

3. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

I just enjoy life i have no real goals but just like having fun and helping others if i can, i also believe life runs in cycles so we could live over and over from the way science is going.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    T-bone Ted and RoscoeElegante like this.
  4. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

My family certainly motivates me to endure a stressful job in order to maintain the much-needed salary and benefits it provides. Beyond that, there’s no arguing that they define a large portion of my life, but I considered myself a fairly motivated person before they came along. I would say most of that motivation is intrinsic and stems from a general restlessness and the anxiety that comes from being still for too long. My brain needs to be distracted, so i try to keep it as occupied as I can.

5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

The challenge of taking it to the limit one more time .

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is about a good an answer as any.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Revenge

Grudges

Salt

Fat

Money

Of course not in that order though, you sillies ! (non-existent bashful kitten emoji)

8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I would definitely go with "curiosity".

My parents told me early on: "...no need to remember everything, just remember where to look it up." I've been looking up stuff my whole life...and hope to continue to do so until the lights go out.

9. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I never had a plan. My needs were few. I worked in a thankless industry in a field I loved, being a mechanic, electrician, welder, fabricator. I got to build hot rods that really had no place or business being on a highway. Did some beautiful machine work before CNC came into vogue. Built engines and brought them to life in on an engine dyno. Taught my kids right from wrong, and to create beauty in art, dance, and music. Showed them how to love each other by being an example with their mother.
    Here’s to another day above the roses!

10. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

Just living life motivates me. I suppose there is a natural survival instinct we all have that keeps us going. My sons and their lives. Playing with my vintage Porsches and old guitar stuff. Making music. Sex.

I'm in the time of my life where my parents are almost ready to assume room temperature and my kids will be getting married. Life is full of surprises and weird experiences. I try to laugh, learn, and be a good human. I think it is what our Creator expects from each and every one of us.

11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Great thread, here. Fine and funny answers.

1) My kids. Two grown daughters, two teenage sons, two divorces. So I not only owe it to them to provide as much stable, nourishing guidance as I can (and knowing when to step back & shut up), but it's the joy of my life to do so. Can't imagine the universe without them.

2) My sister--last family left--and my friends. Lucky to have 'em, and luckier still to be very close to them. The friends are surrogate brothers, since my actual brother, well.... I'm grateful, even if they're all half-wrong about politics and capos.

3) My students. Long ago burnt out on teaching, lots of 'em are bratty, lazy, etc. But lots are great, and an honor to work with. And always some of 'em humble and inspire you by working much harder/flourishing much more than you could have imagined.

4) Music, coffee, summers camping, CANADA, baseball, Boston, Chicago, village greens, a slow July evening in a cozy town on a good front porch, fishing, surviving the winter by getting lost in maps planning the summer's trip, the dog launching himself across the field/into the water in pure joy at being a dog, coffee, music, rinse a bit and repeat a lot.

5) That point in the Summer when you've got a guaranteed few days without any obligations and rather than fixing or composing anything, you instead sprawl on the floor with all the lights off and the windows open having come back from swimming in the river, the water-wearied dog snoring beside you, with a half-hushed distant baseball game on the radio as you doze in and out of memory-weave dreams on the surf lift and fall of the crowdsounds, so, yep,

6) Our beloved, battered, staggering country. Such a damn mess, such a stubborn grace to it all, still, so hard-won.

7) Color. Noon's sleepy dance in a pretty woman's auburn hair. A time-ambered Tele. A tall pine's green scrub of a baltic-blue sky.

8) Not having to read my own posts sometimes....

12. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

I'm just going through the motions and waiting for it to end.

televillian and Mike Eskimo like this.
  13. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

The Bad: 8 employees. HVAC biz that runs 24/7/365. 2 or so years to go.
    ...$$ my wife gets an Amazon delivery every day...lol

The Good: wife, 90 yo mom, 2 kids, 4 grandkids, fishing and kayaking and yard work(play) and guitar jamming!

T-bone Ted likes this.
  14. T-bone Ted

T-bone Ted TDPRI Member

7) Color. Noon's sleepy dance in a pretty woman's auburn hair. A time-ambered Tele. A tall pine's green scrub of a baltic-blue sky.

Your #7 is quite intoxicating! Very poetic as well. Fine words that were constructed to be read and visualized.
    Props to you.

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I was young I sought the meaning of life. Then, at some point, when I mostly stopped looking, it must have found me. For a couple decades now, I'm good with the universe. Don't ask me to articulate it. I don't have the language, and it won't do you any good anyway. I guess it's for each person to figure out as they wish. The only person I've tried to share some of it with is my son, because it's kinda my job. More like pointing in the right direction and watching him find it himself.

And that right there, is the sum total rest of it. Kids, grandkids.

The other big piece of it used to be the outdoors. Mountains, woods, long distance hiking, wilderness canoeing. Health problems put the kibosh on that, and I miss it terribly.

Playing guitar helps.

T-bone Ted and Sounds Good like this.
  16. cattzap

cattzap Tele-Meister

I like to do things for and give things to people. I like to make the things I give. Mostly crosses out of old wood, and more recent adventure, cutting boards. For the boards, I like to give them to people who cook and enjoy and can recognize and appreciate a good cutting board in a kitchen. I like to make them happy and see them smile. I don't always need recognition for it but it is nice to receive sometimes.

T-bone Ted likes this.
  17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Sex, and the accumulation of wealth and stuff.

T-bone Ted and moosie like this.
  18. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

It just goes by itself. I am watching this play.

T-bone Ted likes this.
  19. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm not sure there is any except to not be a jerk. Not as easy as it sounds either, at least for me.

T-bone Ted likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

T-bone Ted and Pixies2005 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.