Life is a page turner

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Oct 18, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm sitting in a late night meeting listening and watching people work things out... ideas, reports, strategies... all that stuff...

And it has been a really full day. I typically arrive at work by 7, I drive about an hour to work and I knock off about 4 or 4:30 except meeting nights... this meeting will run til 10 or so, so that is what, a 15 hour day plus the hour drive home... I got some coffee at 5 so, I'm not sleepy... just a little world weary.

But, I took some time today to think about all this... life... and living and working and the suffering so many people endure... and a guy has to wonder, why do people do it? But, for me, I know why. I like to see what is on the next page, the next chapter, what will happen next, what I might do or what might happen... and that keeps it interesting even during tough times.

A few years ago, my son hurt his knee and when they examined his heart before surgery, they discovered a rare and potentially deadly problem with his heart. In a month, my hair turned grey. It was a terrible time... when he was a year old, I was diagnosed with cancer. Some TERRIBLE things... and yet during it, I wanted to see what would happen and if I could make it.

Friends and family members have suffered from depression and it is so debilitating and it has to be a terrible thing to suffer from... I guess my thinking is that I know a lot of folks here go through a lot of terrible things and have to suffer and I hope this site is one where you can share and get some support... but, keep turning the page and moving from chapter to chapter even during the long, painful ones. I do not know how the story turns out, but my wish for each of us is that we read on and keep going.

I won an award once, it was a big award at my company and I was asked why I was successful and I said, 'I'm not the smartest engineer or the fastest or the most creative, but when everyone else might give up, I stay interested and just keep going until the problem I'm working on figures out that I won't give up, then the problem decides it has had enough and it gives up.'

Don't give up. Often, there is every reason to, all I can say is.... just don't. Grind one more day.

Sorry for the soliloquay, I know it is corny... but, so many of you are my friends and very selfishly, I do not want to lose you to depression or disillusionment. Reach out if you need a hand. Nearly all of us are more than willing to listen and hear and root for you. This place isn't the usual internet, it has always been better and more and it still is.

2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Curiosity drives me.

P-Nutz, scrapyardblue, Flakey and 2 others like this.
  3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That was one of the most uplifting things I've read here. I sincerely hope everyone reads it and takes it to heart.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have always thought of @getbent as a philosopher and here is proof of it with an elegant passage for everyone to think about.

I walked away from humanity with disgust almost a quarter century ago finding myself playing guitar in a remote place away from it all. It was the search for telecaster info many years later after the bug bit me on the local library computer (9 miles away) when I found TDPRI ... that got me to hook back up on the internet. This is my social media and consider TDPRIers as family. I feel emotions for people on here that are in pain or in desperation. My aches and pains are minor in comparison and wish I could help them in some way. It is a soulful group that likes to share music, info and humor from around the world. We, as TDPRIers have a common thread of guitar playing, yet the bond is much more than that. I have become part of society again because of it.

Live life as if today is your last.

5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Many years ago I wondered what it was that I found so interesting about some people that I knew or even people I would meet maybe only once....and then it came to me...people who are interested always interest me. It doesn't even matter what someone is interested in...if they have a genuine passion for something, anything....then (usually) I find them interesting. Now, I'm not sure exactly how this ties in with GB's OP but there ya go.....I guess it just interested me.

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Flying back from Korea. Fighting over a spot to sit my tired fat ass down and charge my phone, and this in the the business class lounge mind you!! Already exhausted just getting to Seoul and about to climb ‘a-bored’ a 14 hour flight. I gave up one hour into my 7 hour lay-over. This helped, thanks small mustard colored, glowing rectangle of encouragement!!!

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Your approach to calmly and steadily persevere at a problem, not dramatically nor feverishly, but just steadily advance, without giving up, is the true answer to so many problems in life. Good going! Many give up too easily, failing, when with just a bit more stick-to-it-ivness would have won the day.

Shuster and getbent like this.
  8. Telegnosis

Telegnosis Tele-Meister

This scene in the movie Daylight, played by Viggo Mortensen, showed me something about an approach to life.

getbent likes this.
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

YES. YES. YES.

10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

if life is full of problems, than it is a good thing to have something that you can fix, if the others things seem unfix able.
    i have had a long hard time ( 20/25 years) taking care of my first wife ho had multiple personality disorder and schizophrenic. she died with her third heart attack in 2.5 years.
    could not play guitar on an amp, so always with a headphone on a Digitech GNX.

what kept me going was tweaking and repairing guitars, looking for info and knowlidge on forum like TDPRI and the wildgate off the Bill Lawrence pickup users and the Dutch Gitaarnet forum.
    i could not heal my wife, and man did we try to get a normal life, but i could tackle guitar problems.

there were times, all was dark, no help, no light on the end off the tunnel and the the urge to step out was huge, but i knew that when i would step out, my wife had to be hospitalize in a mental institution.
    she was abused in here early youth, i could not let here end in a institution.
    grab t another guitar project , talked with the big Man above and did not let go.
    all of the time those forums were my contact with the world, because your social network fall apart when you have to deal with mental health issues.

so a lot of you help t me in hard times, and you never knew you did, and i thank you for that.

my wife past in 2008, and the great Man above had a plan that i did not see cumming.
    5 years ago i got married again and have a life with here that is unbelievable great and peaceful.
    my hard times, and of my new wife, who had a very tough time with here first husband who was a psychopat, has grind ed, sanded and polish t us in a way that it fits like a puzzle and i almost everyday are stunned that a marriage can be this good.

when i would have stept out off life, i would not have this now, and we have a golden rule.
    if troubles cross our path, we celebrate it with pastry, because the Great Man above will use it for the good, somehow, even if i don't see it right now, but He will

11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Wow, hopdybob. Just wow. And I'm so happy to hear of your new relationship - that is so wonderful for you. God bless!

Shuster, KyAnne and getbent like this.
  12. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Glad to see you're off hiatus and posting again. I haven't been around much either but that's besides the point.

Anyway, timely post for me, appreciate the sentiment. I'm fortunate enough to not have suffered from real depression but I have had some personal stuff going on recently and reading your corny soliloquy definitely helped...so thanks...good stuff.

getbent likes this.
  13. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

titties and beer keep me going

Kontaktmoi, Shuster, Despres and 3 others like this.
  14. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

"If trouble crosses our path... we celebrate with pastry.". My new motto! Thanks @hopdybob

Shuster, beach bob and getbent like this.
  15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Kind of my life philosophy, just push until it cries uncle.
    Do your best

Shuster, Obsessed and getbent like this.
  16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You explain much of why I stick around when maybe I should not.

The timing and description sure fit my day. I'm up early to dig at stuff in the volunteer work I do, put a complicated project to bed, and help my mother start the transition from her house to a senior living center. Long days r us.

Shuster, Obsessed and getbent like this.
  17. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

getbent, you're okay! :cool:

Now that I'm suddenly living on retirement benefits, I don't have to work or struggle to pay the rent, so all that anxiety is instantly lifted, everything is changed, I'm still getting accustomed to the whole idea.

You made me think about it, and the lingering anxieties I've noticed are all about: am I spending this new life of leisure in the best way?

In other words, I now feel challenged to work harder than ever. o_O I have mixed feelings about that. :):lol:

I should be practicing. :D

Matt G and getbent like this.
  18. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Great outlook, I always tell people they’re all great days, as long as you wake up north of the grass ! Life is Wonderful it’s all in how you look at things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

getbent likes this.
  19. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I kept a sign in my classroom that said "WAX CURIOUS", high on the wall with the unexplainable pair of pants and another sign that said, "ESCHEW OBFUSCATION". There was one more sign, but I forget now what it said. (edit: I remember now. "RESTORE PENURY")

It sometimes saddened me that students' curiosity was overwhelmingly about the pants. And, respectfully, I'd like to say that no, they're not all great days, no matter how you look them. For most people some days suck, and for some people every day does. Keep turning the pages, and do what you can to help.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  20. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Well done GB! The only thing I take issue with is your self-deprecating characterization as "corny". I think "inspirational" is a better descriptive. Thank you, sir for that!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.