Life in the South

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sparky2, Jan 11, 2020.

1. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I lived in Nebraska for many years, and went through that ad nauseam.

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Boris I'm not mad at all. In fact I love arguing with you! I know you're an attorney and that's what makes it interesting.
    I also drive a few imported cars. Let's see over the years.
    1975 Renault R17 Gordini
    1969 Alfa Remeo
    1981 Renault 18i
    1981 Volkswagon Rabbit convertible
    1984 Volkswagen Rabbit convertibe
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder
    1966 Volve 122s
    2001 Subaru Outback
    2001 BMW 525i
    Probably forgetting a few and I'm not counting the 1998 Subaru Outback my girlfriend's owned over ten years.
    None of them had a fuel pump issue. All but the Alfa and maybe the Volvo have or had in over 200,000 miles. Addmitidly the first three were driven before the mandated 10% ethonol but it was readily available and I probably used it. In fact I know I did. (Exept in the Alfa, that's got Spica fuel injection made in 1969. That one I would worry about.)
    Currently driving the BMW it's rusty now and at about 240,000 miles. I'll drive it till something goes wrong that costs more than I want to spend and scrap it at that point.

Your argument falls apart when you talk about $1,500 cars with 200,000 miles on them. At that point blaming the gas for a break down of any sort is laughable. Now if you told me people were driving brand new cars and after a few tankfulls of ethonol they needed a fuel pump, that would change things.

At one point in life I was an auto mechanic, I thought that's what I'd always be but as it turns out I really don't like being under a hood all day.
    But in 1984-85 I was working as a mechanic in Dallas. Do you remember that period of time when the US car manufacturers where trying not to use fuel injection? (the Japanese clung onto carburetors way too long too)
    Anyway they had all sorts of complex carburetors to try to meet emissions.
    One of those "better ideas" was Ford's variable venturi carburetor it came out in the late 1970s.
    Ok this was the winter of '84 '85. There was a few issues we had to a address with those carburetors. One fix was actually drilling a hole. The other was Ford built them with soft parts that couldn't hold up to alcohol. They came out with alcohol compatible rebuild kits right away because there enough problems to warrant it at that time. (it was actually methanol that cause those issues, that is nasty stuff)
    The point to all of this is. The car manufacturers have known about alcohol in gasoline since at least the early 1980s. And they addressed it years ago. If your car is older than that it's had a carburetor kit put in by now and those were upgraded way back then as well. The car manufacturers all over the world that still import here aren't stupid. They build cars with US specifications. Safety, emissions, California rules, left hand drive. Some of them even test cars not far from here in Bemidji MN, they fill up in local gas stations and drive um in the cold.
    They're fully aware of our gasoline!
    So if your car at over 200,000 needs a fuel pump it's because it's old! Yeah it sucks and it's expensive. But at that point breakdowns have got to be expected.
    I love my old BMW but if the transmission fails or the fuel pump goes bad well what can really expect? At over 200,000 miles any car is living on borrowed time. :)

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We used a blend of alcohol and castor oil, in our model airplane motors. I saw what happened. I was a chemistry major, before I went over to law and studied plastics tech. When I look at old pumps and the plastic is eroded, I know what I am looking at. And I've also interacted with a lot of people who have experienced this failures with USA fuel and guess what? Doesn't happen when non alcohol is used. The engineers would've made other choices if they knew these pumps would require replacement every 125,000 miles. I know why my pumps are lasting longer - even if you don't.

You seriously think engineers can do a 180 every time some bozo changes the fuel formula in this market or that one? Of course they can't turn on a dime. They're left to hold their breath.
    This is the whole saga of what happened to the USA "Big Three" after bureaucrats began tampering with auto design - in a nutshell. Had they never been interfered with, they would never have stumbled so badly. I thought everyone knew that.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Boris you can believe what you want to believe.
    And I'm quite sure you will !
    I'm just telling you my experience with the stuff since it started coming out in the late '70s. And since it was mandated here in the '90s.
    It's a non issue.
    The engineering was done long ago, as I pointed out already.

Next thing you know you'll be saying something stupid like cars up north rust out because people up here don't take care of them.
    Oh wait you did say that already. . . .

5. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Speaking from the experience of growing up in tornado alley, you've entirely overprepared. speaking from the experience of currently living in hurricane alley, you should be set for the next hurricane

6. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Back to the cold front we have a wind chill of -56F this morning . The only good thing about methanol is it helps keep the gas lines from freezing

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nippy!

LeftFinger likes this.
  8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I agree, in Kansas there was not a lot of places to hide from the twisters. But in OK the twisters seemed to like to flow right up the major interstates. I am guessing is is like water, it takes the path of least resistance and with all the clearing out from the highway they just follow the highways all the way up.

9. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

put an L in that word:twisted:

Frodebro likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Absolutely.

There's a segment of I-20/59 to the south and west of Tuscaloosa, and evidence of tornadic activity was just about non stop. The highway department was trapped. On one hand they wanted the woods back away from the road, so whitetails wouldn't graze right off the traffic lanes. But when a clear and easy path for developing twisters was opened up, nobody was surprised when the storms seemed to gain from the advantage they found.

We have all these drones now. It would seem to me we could do an inventory of all the "twister incubation areas" we have created and come up with some way to alter them to tamp down the development of storms. If we can figure out where avalanches will occur, so we can figure out where the twisters will be worst and develop the largest. It is almost like, some people would prefer not to know.

LeftFinger likes this.
  11. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

We've been wet mostly, with some wind. A tornado hit about 40 miles eat of here, but no immediate danger where I am. haven't been able to play golf for about 3 weeks die to the wetness. Really haven't had much rain, but it's been so foggy that everything stays damp and muddy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.