Life in the South

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sparky2, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Doc3

Doc3 Tele-Meister

Cut out the government subsidies for ethanol and it would disappear almost overnight. It is hideously expensive to make, the land used to raise the corn could be used for useful things like growing food for people or livestock feed. There would be riots in Iowa and the corn belt if the government tit was withdrawn from ethanol. It shortens the life of anything you run it through, costs taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars if not billions. The only thing green about it is the taxpayers dollars.

We are moving from California to Arkansas. Cannot wait to put California in our rear view mirror and move to a Free State.

Mike Eskimo and rz350 like this.
  2. Doc3

Doc3 Tele-Meister

Patrick Henry Quotes
    “Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined…. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun.”
    – Patrick Henry, Speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 5, 1778

“Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?”
    -Patrick Henry, Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution

Patrick Henry was one of my favorite Founders. He and the other Anti-Fedearalists. If you have not read the Anti-Fedearalist Papers it is available on Amazon for about $8.00. Read with particular care the chapters written by Brutus and how the Constitution and Bill of Rights would be gutted by the Federalists using the Federal Judiciary including the SCOTUS legislating from the Bench.

The Anti-Fedearalist Papers was the source for the Bill of Rights. This group refused to sign on to the Constitution without certain inalienable Rights being specified. I had to teach my kids US history, as schools start US History after 1776.

GearHund and stormsedge like this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Bobby, I was in Central Arkansas and saw Alcohol Free Premium as the only pump premium, but for the most part you have to go to a specific source (maybe 1 out of 20 stations) down this way to find Alchohol Free Motor Fuel. And the grade is usually mid-grade and costs maybe 50 cents per, over the ethanol-premium.

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Getting to be too much politics in this thread in my opinion. In my line of work we debate politics all the time, and the absence of same is what I like most about TDPRI.

Anywho . . . back OT; glad everyone made it through the storm OK. It hit fast and furious where I live, but other than losing power for a few hours we came through just fine.

5. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Find ethanol free gas in the US and Canada, they also have an app version you can put on your mobile. They have listings by octane, so if you're looking for 93 like me, you can find it.

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah you get into ethonol in gas and political stuff comes up.
    Again I tottaly don't like ethonol gas for many reasons.
    Forget about those reasons and get down to what it actually causes and guess what? It doesn't cause problems at all !
    There's cars all over Minnesota from the '90s that have ONLY ever run on the stuff and they're still RUNNING ! Rusty but running fine.
    We get over 200,000 miles on cars using the stuff, repair shops aren't backed up with repairs to fuel systems. Small engine shops aren't constantly changing lawn mower engines because of it.
    People in states where it's fairly new are hearing the same old ignorance we heard when it came here.
    Again I don't like it for other reasons that we best not get into here.
    If people would stick to arguing the actual reasons it's bad instead of trying to convince people it'll "wreck their cars" maybe it'd be gone now. Because it won't WRECK YOUR CAR and states like Minnesota with over 20 years of using it will blow holes in that argument everytime. Thus discrediting the actual logic in any argument.
    Stick to the facts.
    And we can't discuss those here. :)

7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I never said that gasoline with ethanol will wreck your engines.

In my years of running it in cars, motorcycles, and small engines though, I have learned a thing or two about it though.

1. You have to get your injectors cleaned more often than with pure gasoline.
    It gums up injectors quicker, and don't get me started on carburetors.
    I drain all fuel out of my carbs if I am not going to run that engine any time soon.

2. Using fuel with more than 10% ethanol in it will void the small engine warranty on most lawn mowers, chain saws, and generators.
    Read the fine print on your owner's manuals.

That is all.

stormsedge likes this.
  8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

With all due respect, @BobbyZ , it's nothing but trouble for marine engines. And small engine lawn equipment.

For that reason and no other there is a special 90 octane e-free "boat gas'' sold all over Florida.

boris bubbanov and stormsedge like this.
  9. BobbyZ

Seriously I've NEVER had injectors cleaned in anything. That's a lot of vehicles since the early 90s when we got stuck with it.
    There's a few boats in Minnesota too. With over 10,000 lakes we have more shore line than any other state. (according to the Minnesota Office of Tourism and they would lie) Not seeing problems there either.
    Right now both my 81 Dodge and 66 Volvo have carburetors. Other than throttle bushings on the Volvo needing to be rebushed, zero problems from ethonol.

You guys are talking with someone that's been living with this crap for like 30 years now.
    Sure right off the bat yeah it might loosen some crud but after that it's a total non issue.
    My buddy uses it for mixed gas in his chainsaws. Surprised the hell out of me too! But his saws run fine.
    Thats the one thing where I'll spring for premium, chainsaw is pretty important and one like mine new is close to a grand. But I've used my buddy's gas with no problems at all.

LeftFinger likes this.
  10. BobbyZ

https://getbiofuel.com/melting-myths-snowmobiles-ethanol/

If people actually bothered to read owners manuals they'd find gas containing up to 10% ethanol is fine in about any damned thing.
    Once you go over 10%, ethonol's lower BTU per gallon starts to enter into things. Put that into something not capable of changing the fuel mixture to compensate and it'll run like crap.
    For instance you wouldn't want to put E85 in a vehicle that doesn't say "flexfuel".
    Running on pure alcohol you need about twice as much going into the engine. Due to that lower BTU per gallon thing.

11. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

Think I would rather have your rain than our bush fires.

12. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ah, no doubt. I've been watching coverage of the fires, and it's just breaking my heart. Be safe, mate.

13. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

In a way, I think it's funny how you are using a forbidden subject, in an attempt to close a thread that has one sentence by the op that you find personally disagreeable.

stormsedge likes this.
  14. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Personally I would choose insurance....

I would rather count on a gun in my hand if my family's in danger. I just don't believe that waiving my insurance papers around will suffice in those critical situations.

When you need a cop right now, there's one only {fill in the blank} minutes away.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  15. boris bubbanov

Fuel pumps are mostly all plastic parts now. Alcohol scavenges plasticizers out of these plastic parts and shortens the life span of these pumps. Now, the pump is buried deep inside the fuel tank, and maybe you can access it without dropping the tank or maybe not. You can check the "health" of your pump with an oscilloscope, but how easy is it to get one of those and if you just drive, a car could stop on you without warning, hundreds of miles from where you could fix it properly. So, enough nonsense about alcohol having no negative impact on motor vehicles. Anything that messes with my fuel pump, is a bad thing of the very first order. There's nothing even remotely political about that, and you know better.

Your argument about shops not being backed up, is specious and ridiculous. If my pump died, say, in Nebraska I might be looking at a combined tow/parts/repair/hotel bill of $ 2,000 or more. But the vehicle, the day before the failure was worth $ 1,500 at auction. People just let the junk man take it away. Just like they let the junk man take their edgers and mowers and snow blowers and etc.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  16. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I hate to hear about the weather in the Northern AL area now. It seems that Tornado Alley has shifted slightly south from the areas in Kansas. Even down in DFW we had some tornado warnings on Friday.
    It was almost 70 degrees at 5PM on Friday, and then the bottom fell out and it was 35 with a heavy frost on Sunday morning. Crazy weather has my joints aching.

17. boris bubbanov

Preacher, there are parts of Alabama (such as Jasper) that get hit outside of any sense of random order, and while it may be getting a little worse, it has been bad for generations. The biggest factor that seems to make things worse is, large cleancuts of parcels of woodlands. And then the "growback" is too small to stave off the development of the twisters. Meanwhile, in the William Bankhead National Forest, Sipsey Wilderness area, there are areas that have gone unmolested over my entire life.

I think it is technologically possible to evaluate large areas of these states and simply do the timber cutting well away from schools and homes. Don't grant permits to position a mobile home in just any location. If you want to build or live in an vulnerable area, your home must be hardened or you can't stay.

I don't know. People want to build these large chicken rearing facilities out in flat, open areas and they're just asking for trouble when they do this. I think lives could be saved, but people assign too much value to being free to do any freaking thing they want to do and so when they die, we grieve for just a little while and then we move on.

drlucky likes this.
  18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

looters

19. BobbyZ

Not every one is able to grasp facts that contradict their deep seated prejudices.
    Think about what you just said for a minute.
    Think real hard about that part about the vehicle being worth $1,500, the day before that ethonol maliciously attached and destroyed it's fuel pump.
    Has it sunk in yet? I mean just how abosuluty prejudice and ignorant that argument is?
    You see it now don't you?
    Ok I'll just say it.
    How old is a vehicle that is worth only $1,500?
    Is it outside the realm of possibility to expect a break down, that's repair cost could exceed the value of a car that's worth only $1,500 to repair?
    Ladies and gentlemen of the jury.
    I rest my case. :)

PS out of every vehicle I've owned since this horrible ethonol, I've had to replace exactly one in tank fuel pump. 99 Chevy Silverado, over 200,000 miles on it, my second wife's "baby".
    She constantly drove around with the low fuel light on and in an effort to save money, seldom put more than twenty dallors worth in at one time.
    As odd as it sounds the fuel in the tank is what cools the fuel pump. I suspect that had more to do with that pumps "early demise" than the 200,000 miles worth of ethonol fuel that it pumped. (which given an average of 17 miles per gallon is 11764.705882 gallons of that nasty ethonol it pumped before failing)
    Ethonol gasoline never came up in a discussion with anyone concerning the fuel pump and the cost to replace it. Mostly the over 200,000 miles part and her driving around on empty all the time. Realistically the low gas tank argument is weak as well, in the face of the advanced use the pump had done and done well up to that point. But that one did come up and the ethonol gas simply did not.

drlucky likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

Bobby, you know I don't own or drive USA cars. I drive cars that were engineered for non alcohol based motor fuels. The manufacturer (whether it be Japan or Sweden) just hoped the USA fuel wouldn't destroy the pump, before the car got retired. But 4 of the 5 of them have well over 200,000 miles and one pump was replaced and it could be any day, on those other 3.

Bobby, you know I make arguments for a living, right? You shouldn't "rest your case" like that. C'mon man. You got better game than that. You just sound mad, to me. Don't get mad. Find something to use, to prove your position. If you are correct, I'd like to hear about it. I'm open to learning new things, so don't let me down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.