Life in the South

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sparky2, Jan 11, 2020.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

An oft-neglected argument in favor of hard cases!
    I was talking to a guy in Key Largo last summer who was recalling coming downstairs into chest deep water and seeing his SG float by in it's case.
    Pungent visual.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Greggorios and stormsedge like this.
  2. Kaitlyn_D

Kaitlyn_D TDPRI Member

I live in the South as well, and I can say that our weather here is crazy!
    It's storms one day, then snow the next. Especially during this crazy winter we've been having.
    It was in the 60s on Christmas Day.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, Europe is definitely a different culture for the most part. Keep in mind that America has very densely populated areas, but there is also a crazy amount of rural areas where help could be an hour away if something bad happens. When I lived in the boonies we always had a rifle readily available for dangerous critters that got too close to the house, chicken coop, or vegetable gardens (coyotes and mountain lions were plentiful out there, along with elk, raccoons, deer, and opossums), and a handgun stashed near the door for unwanted visitors of the two-legged variety. The police response time to our property was approximately 45 minutes.

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I'm an ex-pat Brit who has lived in the US for over 40 years. I've lived in the Southwest, Northeast and recently the Southeast. I've personally never felt the need to carry a firearm but I have to say that down here we see very little road rage, probably BECAUSE so many people have a gun in their car with them. You just don't want to get into any argument that might escalate!

stormsedge and Frodebro like this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We left out of Memphis, Fri. late and got to The Cabin in NC about 2:00 AM., Sat. So, we had much of the day Saturday to do this and that and then, about 5:00 PM, the power went off and stayed off. Electric guitars become acoustic guitars. Dinner became cheddar and crackers and sliced apple; a bottle of wine.

At dawn, Sunday, the weather had passed, bright blue skies and the temperature finally went down to normal. Lots of fallen trees, old dead ones, cleared off the roads. We actually stopped in the hills to the east of Huntsville and did some hiking - a little muddy but not bad. So, we're talking about the US 72 across the tops of AL and MS - seen way worse storm damage on other crossings.

But we're not done. There's more weather coming.

++

Added note: Just got word, this morning 1/14, that the power at The Cabin finally came back on. When I say, we're out there far away from The Modern World, I'm not exaggerating. These outages are usually shorter, but they've persisted the whole 10 years we've been out there.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    stormsedge likes this.
  6. Frodebro

Interesting trivia for those who don't follow this stuff:

Concealed carry permit holders are statistically the most law-abiding citizens in America-even more so than off-duty law enforcement officers.

stormsedge and BobbyZ like this.
  7. boris bubbanov

That's right, because when one of their grandkids kills the other, with the gun, no charges are filed. Just an accident, we like to say.

I like the way things go, in the holler by The Cabin. People make so much use of their weapons, for hunting and target practice, they're not obsessed with them for the rest of their day's worth of activities. Kids are so familiarized with weapons, they've graduated past these "experimental" stages. In the same way that kids who grow up around horses, known not the let the dog go wandering where it might get kicked.

CC Permit holders or not, I think the problem is suburbanites who think they live in the country, when they don't. If you can't shoot a rabbit or turkey off of your front porch, you don't really live in the country.

8. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Man, you country elites drive me crazy.

:p

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

This cracks me up! Here in the northern Minnesota ethanol gas has been the law of the land since the early 90s. Only non ethonol gas you can get is 91 octane for old cars and small engines. It's illegal to use it in newer cars, nobody really cares what you put it in though.
    Anyway when it first came out in the'80s the whole world was coming to an end. It'd wreck your car, wreck your boat, wreck your snowmobile, wreck your snowblower, wreck your lawnmower, wreck your chainsaw and your kids teeth would rot.
    The truth of the matter is this it hasn't caused problems at all. I don't care for the stuff based on a lot of reasons but it really hurts nothing.

Yeah I know there'll be a bunch of "my uncle knows cars and he says it's bad" responses.
    Well your uncle is truly an idiot.
    Don't let him near your car! :)

drlucky likes this.
  10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

So actually faster than the police "response" in Athens :D (our police force was delapidated after a 5 year reign of an anarchocommunist gang that took advantage of the populistic movement and won the elections after the country's bankruptcy and is still far from what it used to be :( but at least now ,after the fall of this "government", you see them on the streets ,they were totally prohibited to do their jobs from 2015-2019 )

stormsedge and Frodebro like this.
  11. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

We had zero damage. Strong storm activity tore up the elementary school where my grandkids used to go, not far from where my stepson and daughter-in-law live, but they also skated through unharmed. Deaths were reported in other states but I believe Alabama had no fatalities.

12. Frodebro

I had some problems early on with the ethanol gas, it was flushing all kinds of crud out of the fuel tank of my car and clogging the fuel filter regularly for a while. Mostly rust, from the reddish color of the sludge I was seeing in the filter. After the "cleansing" was completed it was fine.

drlucky and BobbyZ like this.
  13. Frodebro

I hope things get better out there for you guys.

stormsedge and Nick Fanis like this.
  14. BobbyZ

Our local cops are nice guys but they can't stay out of trouble. Every so often a deputy or corrections officer in the country resigns. But what people don't know is they should have been fired and in many cases charges with things like sex crimes. By being allowed to resign through the buddy system they're free to get another law enforcement job in another jurisdiction.
    Those are the people that eventually show up you dial 911. Better hope you didn't get involved with one of their exwives or their with your's. ;)

Frodebro likes this.
  15. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

I used to live in southwestern Canada. I love that part of the world. That is a beautiful mountain view you have there!

16. boris bubbanov

Sadly, no. There were 3 reported fatalities near Carrollton, AL which is over to the west of Tuscaloosa, near the MS line.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Regarding guns as prep, do what y’all like, but no looter or band of looters is going to approach my house with me standing in the doorway – not holding a gun.

They’re going to just keep on moving.

i’ve lived here for 50+ years, so - trust my street smarts. I always have.

But, with the reputation that my local precinct has :eek:, no one is coming here thinking they’re going to get some easy copper ! :lol:

Oh - this weekend we got 3” of rain in 24 hours and it was only freezing rain the last hour.

We got off super easy and I hope y’all get back to normal right quick.

18. KevinB

Growing corn to fuel engines is just a bad idea.

And don't leave E10 in a motorcycle engine over the winter, even with a fuel stabilizer in it. It took me a lot of time and effort to clean out the gas tank and carbs of my old Bonneville a couple of years ago.

Fortunately where I live now in South Carolina I can buy ethanol-free gas at many stations.

boris bubbanov and Doc3 like this.
  19. BobbyZ

Agreed bad idea corn for fuel.

Leaving E10 over over winter?
    Sorry but I can't count the times I've neglected to put fuel stabalizer in things like mowers and snowblowers and I'll add a couple of seldom used Dodge pickups in here too.
    Never had an issue starting that stuff up later on.
    Years later yeah.
    But seasonally no.
    There's a pretty good chance winter here is some what longer than in South Carolina. We get six months. You get what??? Six weeks?
    Actually had more issues before E10 was mandated. . . . . . .

If I was pulling a Bonneville up to the gas pumps I'm thinking I'd fill it up with premium gasoline every time. That's ethonol free here how about there in South Carolina?

20. KevinB

Well that was an NJ winter, not an SC winter.

Here, where I live now in SC, ethanol free gas is an option. You can get premium with ethanol too.

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.