Life in the South

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sparky2, Jan 11, 2020.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Glad you got through alright!
    Winter in the southern US can be crazy.
    This is what we had Tuesday/Wednesday IMG_20200108_100330248.jpg Last couple days 60 degrees. Last night
    rain and high winds lot of debris and limbs on the road. I reset clocks when I got home; wife reset them this morning.
    Looking like beautiful and warm today.

backporchmusic and stormsedge like this.
  2. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Last week we lost power for a full 24 hours. By some miracle, I managed to get through it without an arsenal of weapons. What luck!

drlucky and Mike Eskimo like this.
  3. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I have never seen behavior approaching anything remotely similar to this during any storm or power outage in my five decades on this planet.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've managed to get by for years without ever needing any of the fire extinguishers that I keep readily available around my house, and have never been in a situation where having my seatbelt on saved my life. But I still have those extinguishers at the ready and I always buckle up.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I'll relay that to my friends on the Gulf Coast with hurricane damaged, yet repairable homes, that were ravaged by looters as described then abandoned by the insurance companies. Cheers!

Frodebro likes this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, it's all so easy to block from your thoughts until you're the one with the camera in your face crying "But things like that never happened around here before!"

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Its just bait, I recommend ignoring the uninformed opinions like these. Folks help each other clean up, get back on their feet, share food and essentials.

GearHund and stormsedge like this.
  8. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The wind in Atlanta and N. Ga were something else. It hit about 5 PM and there was heavy rainfall with the wind. I was working in my office and waited it out.

We lost a big Oak tree at my homeplace that was probably 100 years old plus that sat right in the front yard in front of the house. We played in and under that tree forever as kids. Fortunately, the wind direction blew it away from the house.

We also lost a smaller Hackberry that was over 35 years old which broke in half. I suppose there was something going on it with it that we had not detected. It was fortunate it fell away from all structures as well.

stormsedge likes this.
  9. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here in Fayetteville NC we got some fairly significant wind and then some torrential rain for a short while probably around 11pm or so. No harm done for us, although I haven't been out to check on all the trees at the back of the property yet.

stormsedge likes this.
  10. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    Winter time is snowman time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

My daughter lives south east of tupelo and has a shipping contaner buried under the house. (We call it the dungeon) I like not having to worry so much about her and her family as much.

Mike Eskimo, stormsedge and Torren61 like this.
  12. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Watch the Mythbusters buried shipping container episode.

13. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Over the years I have lived through a number of tornadoes and hurricanes.

Whenever a community is trashed and wrecked by such a natural disaster, the electricity is normally out for days and even weeks.
    (That's why I maintain a generator, and keep it gassed up. With lots of fresh, ethanol-free gasoline in gas cans. And a great chainsaw, for cutting fallen limbs out of the way.)

Some kind and wonderful people normally swing thru the area after the storms subside, to offer help, food, water, and chainsaw labor.

And sadly, to the points above, a lot of opportunists also like to invade after a disaster. And looters.
    Unsavory characters looking to steal anything of value that isn't nailed down.

That's why I keep a well-oiled pistol and a similarly-maintained shotgun in my survival stash.

Looters normally depart the area in a big hurry when they encounter an armed and determined property owner.
    As it should be.
    :)

Click on this photo Google link, to get an idea how widespread the post-disaster looting concern is.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=looters+will+be+shot&rlz=1C1LENN_enUS693US693&sxsrf=ACYBGNR2NhLaaiMq8ZIQmcm8wJ3vJoISZw:1578877784763&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=GWH_-FADN_KAaM%3A%2CqBN36pqLLBpoaM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTsoUIA6OG0y8_npUcGDunlNE_bHw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjNn4SMsv_mAhVLT6wKHdKABwgQ9QEwBHoECAkQDA#imgrc=GWH_-FADN_KAaM:

GearHund, stormsedge and KWal like this.
  14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Exactly.

Thank you, sir.

stormsedge likes this.
  15. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

We had a demonic storm snarl through. Winds, lightning, incredible rain. Citizen Alerts from the county throughout the evening. Winds were making the rain sideways on the mountains.

Today--60 degrees, sunny, calm.

A cooking planet sure serves up weird stuff.

16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Time to make a run for hostess snowballs.

17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thanks for your explanation.
    Living in urban areas all my life (the smallest city I have ever lived is 5+ million) these facts were completely unknown to me.

Of course I now wonder what will happen if the looters have their own guns and they outgun you but I guess that's life....

Personally I would choose insurance....

backporchmusic and stormsedge like this.
  18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Insurance covers the loss of possessions. (Possessions for which you can provide proof of ownership.)
    I have insurance.

But Insurance doesn't protect you from death or injury, should the looters (as you indicated earlier) be intent on causing you harm.

The reality is that most looters are cowards who are hoping that all the residents are gone or incapacitated.
    They just want to grab valuables and scamper back to whatever rock they crawled out from under.

I have been carrying concealed since 1995 or so.
    And I have never once had to draw a weapon in self defense.

But I have had to demonstrate that I was carrying, and that was always enough.
    Thank God.

Concealed-Carry-Clothing-Suit-Jacket-400.jpg

19. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

In Europe you go to jail if you even posses a gun (inside your home and don't even take it out) so I guess we come from very different cultures.

Come to think about it with the Athenian road rage we would have had more than 100.000 dead / year from shootings if guns were allowed so thank God for the prohibition.

20. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I give this thread about a 40/60% chance of staying unlocked, given the trajectory of the discussion...

FWIW down here in Southern Georgia we got some light rain. Also, what is that white stuff everyone is posting pictures of? o_O;):)

dougstrum and SuprHtr like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.