Life in the South

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sparky2, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Awaiting the arrival of the cold front and associated thunderstorms, low level wind shear, and the odd tornado.

The vehicles are all topped off with ethanol-free gasoline, the generator has been treated likewise, and run-up for a full function check.

The trash container and recycling container are in the garage, and the back yard chairs are stacked into the wrought iron garden fence enclosure.

The wife and I have our survival supplies (ID's, handgun, shotgun, water, smart tablet, storm radio, and MREs) in the closet on the northeast corner of the house, and we are prepared to hunker down in there with the dogs.

Most importantly, the guitars have been taken down from the wall, lovingly waxed and buffed, and then put into cases and gig bags.

I sure hope nothing happens to those guitars.
    :oops: guitars in cases2.JPG guitars in cases 1.JPG

JeffBlue, NewKid, verb boten and 10 others like this.
  2. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I'm right there with ya !! Mother Nature can be wicked.

ps, you're not alone........

3. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hope the bad stuff misses ya!

4. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Sparky2, I am in north Atlanta waiting on the same stuff. Got my beer, guitars, and woman. I am ready.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  5. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

uhhh, I was just planning a trip to north Georgia to look at houses. Hmmmmm :confused::lol::lol::lol:

6. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I'm a little west of the city "Nashvul" now so more in the country, but aside from having the canvas ripped off the gazebo and another epic rainfall we're all good.

Sybo likes this.
  7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Positive thoughts headed your way. I know a thing or two about going through bad weather.

teletimetx, Frodebro and JayFreddy like this.
  8. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

By the time it made it over here to western north carolina the sun had gone down for a while and it really toned the intensity down. We did have a tornado warning in my viewing area and a few severe t storm warning but nothing too bad at all. Just mainly some rain and howling winds. The rain is basically gone now but the howl is still there....

dan1952 likes this.
  9. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Here in Marion, we had a few flashes of lightning, lots of rain - and wind, but thank the Lord, no tornado! :)

Skydog1010 likes this.
  10. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Relatively speaking, I live in Southern Canada. I have about a half acre with a fair amount of asphalt. Big driveway. Its awesome 9 months of the year.

This week it has snowed every day. My wife and I have cleared the driveway 8 times in seven days. Doing a good job takes about 1.5 hours each time. I have a Polaris ATV with a snow blade. That helps. We also use shovels and a smaller sized snowblower. It’s snowing like a bugger again tonight as I type this.

Something’s gotta give. I have so many other things I’d like to do with my time! Lol. After this morning’s work bee, we talked about getting a bigger, more powerful snowblower. I knew I picked a great woman when she said, “We won’t sell the smaller snowblower. We’ll use them both. You run the big one. I’ll run the smaller one. The job will be completed faster as we’ll be very efficient.”

We get decent exercise. We bond, doing it together. It’s kinda fun when we work together. She’s a keeper.

9AC63B52-2724-44B2-AF71-43C0082B271E.jpeg

11. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My son and his family live outside of Tupelo, MS. Half his house was scrubbed from its slab about eight years ago. He had intended to get a storm shelter after they rebuilt but never got around to it. I bought him one this summer. $3800 complete. They used it last month. They were in it in less than a minute. It took a huge amount of stress off my shoulders to know they now have a safe place to hide from a tornado.

12. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My family rode out this storm real well and no folks hurt in Northern Bama. As I understand folks in other places were injured or killed. Prayers for all with storm damage or who suffered worse problems from this storm. It was an ugly storm in different places.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

We got the heavy winds blowing in yesterday, followed by all day and night rain, and then a steady pour of sleet for a while today. Actually, it's a bit past midnight now, so rewind that by a day. I'm just glad that it didn't turn into an ice storm though. If you have ever been through one, you know what I mean.

14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

We got lucky.
    No damage, and all the humans and dogs in this house are safe and warm.

The winds during the worst of that storm were unbelievable.

Just enough torrential rain to bring my creek up to River Status.
    o_O
    11 Jan 2020 storms.jpg

15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I am a bit puzzled that a handgun and a shotgun are survival supplies during a tornado hit.

Can you please elaborate so that my unused to guns European mind can understand why these items are included in your survival supplies?

16. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Sparky2, you started me thinking and I took my guitars down, cased them up and put them in a closet---first time I'd ever done that. I need to revamp the music alcove anyway, so that is a good start. We got some rain and heavy wind...not aware of any damage. Cheers!

Obsessed likes this.
  17. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Natural disasters often lead to zombie invasions. He might have to travel through miles of treacherous territory in search of Hostess Snowballs, and then he might have fight Woody Harrelson for them.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

lol, yea, I don't usually answer question-formatted opinion statements...

The weather agencies are now dysfunctional. Usually I'm not that weather conscious, but the wind woke me up early, and I remembered folks talking about bad weather at work. At 6am central, here was the situation:

Four states to the West under tornado watches.
    Winds of 60-90 mph predicted in some cases, not all.
    Tornado warning one county away, but not emphasized.
    Estimated time of arrival at my longitude between 10am and 2pm.
    No watches in my state. Yet.(?)
    Regular programming still going on all area stations and channels (?)
    General lack of concern from all sources (?)
    Snow in the North and Midwest snow-frequent regions dominated the national weather sources (?).

So, conflicting signals, conflicting messages, conflicting data.

I needed to trek East for a band practice, but I'd be on the road 30 minutes each way, so I needed to time my travel window, and preferably not trek at all, if this is a serious storm. I finally did my own extrapolation based on the storm front speed, and distance to be travelled (where are Gary Dobbs and HD Bagley?). I wait for the system to pass thru, which didn't seem severe at my location. But, as I drove, lots of debris on the roads, emergency vehicles in route, a few spin outs from hydroplaning in the ditches - but two exiting events are about to happen...

I pull up to a major intersection, with a power outage. Cop in the West bound, parked and lighted as an alert, I'm east bound. All of the sudden, he aims his search light right into my windshield, in my eyes. I can barely see anything, but notice vehicles are creeping forward, with the left lane open. I move into the left lane, LIGHT STILL IN MY EYES, and then I see it about 3 feet in front of me, a power line - WHAPPP. It smacked my Jeep windshield header pretty hard. No damage, just a scrape, but as I passed the cop, I suggested he park his vehicle IN FRONT of the hazard, and to not blind motorist, by trying to light up the hazard...from behind....(is this really hard?).

Second exiting event, I arrive at my destination, and a very large tree, 30 inch trunk, has tipped from their yard, crashing across the street and knocking down power lines. It was right where I always park. My Jeep would have been flattened! So, I guess I'm a little thankful for the dysfunctionality of my meteorologists after all. ;)

drf64 likes this.
  19. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Seriously, Zombies? Unfortunately, natural disasters lead to a thinning (some call it a breakdown) in law enforcement and emergency services. Property, damaged or undamaged, becomes a prime target for looters...who have been known to completely demolish even undamaged houses to strip out HVACs, appliances, copper wiring and plumbing, not to mention personal and household valuables. Sometimes the only way to ensure your property (and person in the process) is protected is to physically campout on the site until good order is restored...because the folks bent on criminal activity are often quite bold and belligerent, it is prudent to be armed---hence, the weapons often included in a survival kit. It is not a perfect world, and some people in it have proven ill intent...make a plan, stick to your plan until it needs to be modded.

20. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Just wind and rain here on the South Carolina coast - and temps in the high 60s and 70s.

We were lucky and just got the tail end of the huge storm.

Stay safe everyone!

stormsedge likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.