LIFE EVENTS THAT I MISSED DESPITE BEING THERE.

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
I'm having a bit of a clear out this week, when fatigue allows.
The hoarders that I share my home with are ostensibly away; Mrs K in sunny CA with work; my son on double shifts.
This leaves me the opportunity to get rid of a whole lot of accumulated junk in lieu of building work in the new year.

Today I came across a box of old band stuff in a box behind layers of my son's "unfinished projects" in the boiler house, comprising flyers, tickets, VHS recordings, demos and press clippings.

One of the flyers was for a gig I played in March 2000 at a small but legendary venue in Glasgow.
I was rarely out the place back then and on the 'guest list' for just about any gig that was on in the venue upstairs due to being friends with some of the staff and bouncers.

All I remember about March 2000 was that on St Patrick's day, I was discharged from hospital having been a patient in the Ken Kesey suite since the 2nd of January.
After which I took residence at the bar of the venue, drinking 24/7, among other things, and on a cocktail of strong prescribed meds.

I phoned one of the old band members this evening just to check that I was actually there, and he confirms I was. He was there too.

Apparently in the second half of March 2000, I saw some gigs at King Tut's in Glasgow featuring up and coming bands such as Doves, Snow Patrol and Coldplay before playing the venue myself at the end of that month.
(PMB on the 30th...apparently a well-received gig).

I remember nothing about it. Nada. Zilch.

I'm now beginning to understand the phrase...
"If you remember the 60s, you weren't there"

1665082623981.jpeg

DM1975inKS

TDPRI Member
I hear you. I was out of it for medical reasons for years. Now I have an ex wife and one kid who wont talk to me and another two whom I’m trying desperately to hold onto.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Understand but from a different perspective.

I look at all the stuff and remember everything. My loss wasn't time, it was losing the most important person I spent it with. I am cleaning up all her stuff, selling things, giving most away, keeping the special things. Every item I thought was unimportant is now a memory I cherish.

I am sorry you missed so much, I hope you miss nothing in the time you have left.

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Cleaning up - I've had more than a few regrets about not starting earlier, but it takes what it takes and as much as anything else what it takes is a desire to change.
It took a while for me to get clear about that, so I got a late start.
ODAAT
Peace - Deeve

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
Understand but from a different perspective.

I look at all the stuff and remember everything. My loss wasn't time, it was losing the most important person I spent it with. I am cleaning up all her stuff, selling things, giving most away, keeping the special things. Every item I thought was unimportant is now a memory I cherish.

I am sorry you missed so much, I hope you miss nothing in the time you have left.
I lost the woman I loved 10 years ago; I woke up one morning to find her lying dead on my living room floor. Dealing with her death has been the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life and even now, after a decade, there’s moments I still feel empty and devastated. In one sense though I was fortunate: the afternoon of her funeral, after I got home I was sitting in the living room still completely stunned, when the phone rang. It was a local thrift store: their truck would be in my area in a couple of days, did I have anything to donate? I looked up at the piles and piles of her stuff that was filling the house (she had become somewhat of a hoarder.). Yep, send them over here. I filled up dozens of bags of clothes and other stuff, keeping three or four big boxes of stuff that had memories. Their phone call out of the blue gave me the motivation to sort through her stuff while I was still numb. Later on I still had stuff to deal with and a back room of things I couldn’t get to the first time, man that was hard because all the hurt came back to me. God I miss her.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I lost the woman I loved 10 years ago; I woke up one morning to find her lying dead on my living room floor. Dealing with her death has been the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life and even now, after a decade, there’s moments I still feel empty and devastated. In one sense though I was fortunate: the afternoon of her funeral, after I got home I was sitting in the living room still completely stunned, when the phone rang. It was a local thrift store: their truck would be in my area in a couple of days, did I have anything to donate? I looked up at the piles and piles of her stuff that was filling the house (she had become somewhat of a hoarder.). Yep, send them over here. I filled up dozens of bags of clothes and other stuff, keeping three or four big boxes of stuff that had memories. Their phone call out of the blue gave me the motivation to sort through her stuff while I was still numb. Later on I still had stuff to deal with and a back room of things I couldn’t get to the first time, man that was hard because all the hurt came back to me. God I miss her.
We wish neither to relive the past, nor shut the door on it, an enlightened man wrote.
All good. Keep walking on your journey.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
My band were recently featured in a book about the Tyneside punk scene of the 80's, centred around 2 specific venues.
The author has now got in touch about anything else we did in the 80's.
We had to rack our brains to remember various gigs. We all remembered gigs that other members had no recollection of at all.
I've even seen posters advertising gigs that we never played, or were even asked to play!!!
I wish I'd kept all my old diaries & calendars.

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
My band were recently featured in a book about the Tyneside punk scene of the 80's, centred around 2 specific venues.
The author has now got in touch about anything else we did in the 80's.
We had to rack our brains to remember various gigs. We all remembered gigs that other members had no recollection of at all.
I've even seen posters advertising gigs that we never played, or were even asked to play!!!
I wish I'd kept all my old diaries & calendars.
Do you have a link to the book?
I love these kinds of books about music scenes in UK Cities.
There's been a wealth of Scottish stuff in recent years; books, documentaries on the Beeb and an exhibition in Edinburgh.

I've recently finished a John Birch book on the Sprouts.
Given a big chunk of my musical influences come from "the Toon", I'd be interested to read about the punk scene.

I thought that Jake Burns settle there for a while, I'm aware he's a Toon fan.

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
Saw MyVitriol that year myself, in Bangor. They were an incredible live band
A great band live. In fact, a great band full stop.
That Glasgow gig on the flyer, would have been just when their first single came out.

It's strange when you see an up and coming or unsigned band, realise they've got something and are subsequently proven to be right.

I got that feeling when I first saw Mogwai, and the other time was at a 'youth music festival' in Devon during the 90s. My mate and I had driven a young band down to play at it and I got to see a very youthful Muse play.
I was absolutely blown away with Matt Bellamy's ability to play the guitar like that and sing at the same time.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
A great band live. In fact, a great band full stop.
That Glasgow gig on the flyer, would have been just when their first single came out.

It's strange when you see an up and coming or unsigned band, realise they've got something and are subsequently proven to be right.

I got that feeling when I first saw Mogwai, and the other time was at a 'youth music festival' in Devon during the 90s. My mate and I had driven a young band down to play at it and I got to see a very youthful Muse play.
I was absolutely blown away with Matt Bellamy's ability to play the guitar like that and sing at the same time.
Always Your Way wasn’t it? Huge HUGE tune!!! They deserved so much more than the legacy they have.

Matt Bellamy is just an awesome musician full-stop. Seen muse myself a few times now and they ALWAYS put on an incredible show

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
Always Your Way wasn’t it? Huge HUGE tune!!! They deserved so much more than the legacy they have.

Matt Bellamy is just an awesome musician full-stop. Seen muse myself a few times now and they ALWAYS put on an incredible show
It was this one (I loved their pin you to the back wall guitar sound live)...

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
Do you have a link to the book?
I love these kinds of books about music scenes in UK Cities.
There's been a wealth of Scottish stuff in recent years; books, documentaries on the Beeb and an exhibition in Edinburgh.

I've recently finished a John Birch book on the Sprouts.
Given a big chunk of my musical influences come from "the Toon", I'd be interested to read about the punk scene.

I thought that Jake Burns settle there for a while, I'm aware he's a Toon fan.
Here you go -
https://amorphouspieces.bigcartel.com/product/from-the-garage-to-the-station-and-beyond

Yes, Jake Burns worked at Radio Newcastle. He was often seen out & about round the Toon. Loads of my mates who are SLF fans used to chat to him.
When Stuart Pearce was at Newcastle, he would attend all the SLF gigs & they, in turn, would always dedicate a song 'to Stuart'.
This appeared in the Baltic Centre with a Chris Killip photo exhibition. All the bands that played the Station. We're 'Left For Dead'.
And yes, the Clash played there!
36177352_10216862475697470_5209302040169152512_n#2.jpg