Life after the customs smashed my custom shop

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by spooky, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

No negative comments yet that's great. Thank you all. Was a bit worried about posting pictures.
    Although it's not a Fender factory guitar it's still a Fender Tele to me

2. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

You did a great job, though I am surprised that someone hasn't had a go at you for the fake decal, maybe everyone is calming down about that kinda thing now, it's certainly never bothered me.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Beautiful work!

4. _dave_

_dave_ Tele-Meister

Terrible.

Terribly awesome, I mean to say ;-).
    (There's your negative comment for you.) :^D

Really looks nice. You must be proud to have put her together in your own way.

Glad to hear everything worked out. I guess it was meant to be. Great job!

5. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Crazy story. Maybe customs took offense to it being called a "custom shop" guitar! "What's this??? We can't be allowing that!". Picturing John Cleese and Graham Chapman in customs officer uniforms.

Glad you're ultimately happy. It sounds like your dealer and Fender both stood up in this case.

6. rideit

rideit Tele-Holic

I know lots of people wearing Boston Red Sox ball caps that AREN'T EVEN ON THE TEAM!

7. wishicouldplay

wishicouldplay Tele-Meister

Lol...

8. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's

That's amazing in the time you've had since Customs trashed the other one.
    11 days! Must be a record!

9. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

It took me a day to sand down smooth the neck and body. The chap at the garage sprayed the body in one of his lunch hours then lacquered it the next. The removal of the walnut truss bit on the neck work took 3 night as the carpenter was busy. I did this as i wanted a plain maple head. The dots inserts on the finger board are from a 4 hundred year old mahogany tree scraps he had hanging about. Then a day having the frets done. I had already bought the pups, pots and so on the day i got my money back. The chap at the garage taught me to solder as ive never done it before. Then i took a day putting it all together and a afternoon setting it up. Am still playing with the pick up heights to get them spot on. The only thing i scrimped was the tuners, still in two minds weather to change these. or not

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Let's see:

Fender brand decal and imaging on a Chinese neck. Equals counterfeit.

Makes me wonder whether the Customs people were on the right track in the first place.

With all due respect, of course.

11. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

It's not a Chinese neck unless one of the biggest authorised Fender dealer in the south of England is selling them now. I think the only bit of Chinese on the guitar is turners. It you read the posting in full, you will see i choose the logo i liked. The guitar is not meant to reflect any decade of Fender history but put together the parts i liked and i felt comfortable with. In all it's a partscaster made from Fender parts. It is not made to be a copy of any certain model. Also as my iphone camera is crap it makes the logo look strange.

12. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, but are all those people asking for MLB type salaries?

And it does look like a Chinese neck from the squared off transition at the back of the headstock. Fender dealers sell them. Mighty Mite?

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It is a Chinese neck.

And for all readers, it isn't a Modern Player (authorized Fender label Chinese source) neck either. I'd like to see what a Fender dealer in the UK would say to FMIC legal if they endorsed affixing Fender imaging to a non Fender neck. That's never going to happen. What you have (and especially if it changed hands looking like this) is a counterfeit.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in your encounters with the UK Customs folks. Everybody makes mistakes sometimes, I'm just not giving you the benefit of the doubt anymore. Sorry! :)

14. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

That gold finish is really pretty. Nice work.

15. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I agree with Boris...methinks me smells a troll...

16. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

I never meet the UK customs it was stopped at east midland airport then after they found nothing wrong, sent it to the shop. I don't know whitch tele model the neck comes from, it just fitted my hands nicely. I never said it was a Modern neck. The original logo was sanded off when i had the head work done. As i wasn't making a copy of a certain model i chose a logo it liked from the list of logo's throughout the years. Just because it doesn't come from the factory or looks like one you can buy from the shops doesn't make it a Chinese fake. I have receipts for all the parts i bought and am sure if the shop was selling cheap copies that Fender would have stop them selling Fender guitars years ago.

17. StuR

StuR Banned

A Chinese but "Fender" neck? I assumed it was a Fender neck & body - though I haven't read the whole thread in detail.

18. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

Yes it made from a genuine fender body and neck bought from a authorised Fender dealer. As far as i know the shop have been a fender dealer since the 60's and are very well known in the south.
    I had the logo made cause the head work sanded the original off.

19. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

This thread has suddenly become very intriguing.

20. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

For those that criticised. The main point i know the parts are genuine, so that's all that matters to me. The changes i made were not to fool anyone there were to please me. If ive used a modern body with another era neck or the other way around that's how i like it. Am not attempting to pass it off as a so and so model and i will never sell as a factory Fender if i ever do. It's Spookycaster and i like it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.