"Lick Of The Day"

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Telewanger, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Telewanger

Telewanger Tele-Meister

Webmaster Comment: Saw this today and thought what a cool idea. So, it's moved to it's now home in Tips, Tab and Technique and I've made it a Sticky thread so it will stay at the top o'the forum index. If people keep adding to it, I'll keep it here.

Does this site have a lick of the day?

If not, maybe we can start one. Here is my first lick.

[​IMG]

Lick video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXrVTq5NZU

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
  2. MondoGuitar

MondoGuitar Tele-Holic

I love the Lick of the Day idea, good one. Would be nice to hear it with a twang tone -- and also to mention which chord(s) you use it over. Cheers. :p

3. Telewanger

Telewanger Tele-Meister

I guess it would be a C#m7

4. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

sounds good. how do you sign up? i'd be happy to contribute...

5. jrich99

jrich99 Tele-Afflicted

Love the lick and the idea. I think it's a great idea.

6. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Holic

Don't know what I can contribute, but I sure like the idea.

7. cmcoram

cmcoram Former Member

Don't know if I can't contribute, but I'd be willing to learn!

And BTW Telewanger, I'd originally from NC!

8. jazztele

alright, telewanger, i'll do tomorrow's lick of the day. everybody else sign up for a day this week...maybe we can keep the thread going for a while.

9. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

you know, some guys can't get their fingers to move that quickly... i'm one of them. how do you get to that place ?

10. Telewanger

Telewanger Tele-Meister

Here is a free online metronome. This is one that I use a lot.

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Create or find a lick that is just a few notes, or play a scale, like a major scale. Pick up and down. Don't do hammer-ons and pull-offs. I did them for years and I'm trying my best to limit them now. Every day, try to speed the metronome up a little bit but if you start sounding sloppy, go back to where you were not sloppy and stay there for a while.

Learning band songs is so much fun but technique, string skipping, hybrid picking, and speed drills are not very fun at all, but necessary. I don't like to play fast stuff all of the time, but it's nice to have some speed when you need it. Playing slow and accurate is just as important.

11. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

FWIW, I'd follow this thread very closely with shorter licks than what you played. It's a great lick--more what I'd call a run--but it would take me forever to learn it and play it...then I wouldn't know WHEN to play it. But show me something that's a short lick, say 1 measure or so and I'm much more likely to try it and learn it. Where to play over the I, IV or V or whatever, I can figure that out. But fast licks like that need to be shorter for normal non-shredder people. Just my opinion FWIW. I like the idea a LOT. I started a jazz chord thread sometime ago that had a little traction. I learned some stuff in that one.

12. Telewanger

Telewanger Tele-Meister

Yeah! I see what you're saying.

Something like this would be used in a blues type song starting in C#m7 then A chord then B chord then back to the C#m7

I'll make a shorter one next time. Gotta leave town for Christmas now!
    Have a Merry Christmas! :)

13. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Holic

Ditto.

I'm always looking for those little embellishments and seven-note runs that make playing fun. I lack the attention span needed to learn those full-fretboard runs, sad to say. My problem, I guess. Anyway, short is good. I might even have one or two of those worth putting down in tab. Unusual chords are nice to share, too.

14. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I would love to see a thread like this. Add a lick/Take a lick. I feel that BS posts should be eliminated though. Your post must contain a new lick otherwise the thread will get bogged down and people will lose interest. I agree licks should be kept short but I wouldn't make it a requirement. Any questions about a lick should be addressed in a separate thread or by PM. That is my vision. I know, who cares?

Dan

15. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

I think "the lick of the day" should be a regular part of this site.

16. Spearsmusic

Spearsmusic Tele-Meister

+1:cool:

17. Aaron G

Aaron G Tele-Meister

Great idea. Let's not let it die!

18. ednew

ednew Tele-Holic

LICK OF THE DAY sample

Here's a Key of D rhythm fill useful for mid-tempo tunes and subtle vocal backup. Easy to replicate in 1st position G and A major shapes too.

-----------0-2------------3-2----------0-2-------------------------------------------
    -------3----------------------------3-------------3-------------------------------
    ---2-----------------2----------2-------------2------------------------------------
    0----------------0-------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

Hope you like it.

Ed

19. paulskirocks

paulskirocks Tele-Holic

It would take me all day to figure out what my riffs are enough to actually write them out! However, I'll try one...

20. jazztele

okay, who thinks we should really organize this? we'll move it to tips, tab, and technique subforum as well--more traffic and better suited.

I'd be willing to do this. Without stepping on the OP's toes, if you want to contribute, PM me by tomorrow night, and i'll set up a calendar and start a new post in TT&T monday with the order of contributors and the first lick (i gotta good one y'all will like, jazzy-chickin'-pickin') who's in? PM-me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.