Library

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boubou, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I love books, love reading them, have an old cloth “book bag” I carry with me traveling everywhere. We have a great local library and one of my favorite things is to go there and just spend all the time I want browsing around. I love it.

The internet is fine and I do read stuff on it but when it comes to anything more than a few minutes I want it “old style”. I read magazines and newspapers too!

maxvintage and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  2. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

We try to support our library whenever they have a bake sale or book drive. We are not a wealthy family, but since we use the library so much, we like to support them however we can. Since I am in there at least once a week, often twice a week, I have gotten to know several of the librarians pretty well. I'll ask them what kinds of supplies do they need. In the past they've asked for sharpie markers, paper, post-it notes, granola bars (for the kid's programs), and scissors. We'll pick up items off their wish list at Costco. It feels more immediate and direct when we drop off a case of items from their wish list, and they are always very appreciative.

One time we donated a case of seltzer water when we inadvertently bought the wrong flavor. A close friend is a teen librarian in a neighboring town and she gave it out to underprivileged kids who came in after school to work on their home work.

When we only have $20 to spare for a donation, these gifts seem to provide more of an immediate impact than a small check would provide.

So yeah, libraries are great!

Matt G and maxvintage like this.
  3. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Oh yes I give away most of the books I read at the library

4. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I used to live in one county that has a vibrant system county wide, with over a dozen branches. Then we moved out of the county to another that doesn’t support a county wide system. The numerous towns each fund their own systems, some still using card index’s. I still use the other county’s system but pay for the privilege.
    As far as E books are concerned, I prefer to hold it and turn the page.
    And mechanicaly speaking, I have several old diesel and automotive books that are greasy smudged and notes in the margins that are quite valuable to me. The internet has its place and I use it a lot. But give me a book I can hold.

kingofdogs1950 and JL_LI like this.
  5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Public libraries are among the greatest achievements of the human race. Our public library system is brilliant. It will loan books or ebooks, videos and music, tools or American Girl dolls. It's a greta place to to my work when the house is full. One of the reason we live where we do is walking to the public library. I use all the time.

Matt G likes this.
  6. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For the last year I’ve downloaded “books on tape” from my local library to my phone and play them through my Bluetooth car radio device on my hour long commute.
    The Bluetooth was $20 and transmits to my car radio on FM.
    I listen to books at 1.5 or 1.75 speed and have been through 60 books in 12 months.
    Also been through a bunch of great podcasts, but that’s another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Our local new local library was built in the early 2000s. It was modeled on the old West Main school, on whose property it stands.

It is open during relaxed business banker's hours 5 days a week but open all the way until 6pm on Thursdays!

They continually ask for contributions and try to create interest, but with hours like that I had to find ways to get along without them
    I won't even go into paying for the cornerstone which never got laid.
    images.jpg
    West-Main-Bldg-300x211.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.