Liars!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Nov 13, 2013.

1. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Funny, I had a similar liar claim he wrote a very famous song- his name was the same as the true songwriter's- but of course, he didn't write it. I found out when I saw the real songwriter on television later.

2. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

Liars are simply verbal thieves. I have no use for either.

3. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Lot of folks in the southeast claim Cherokee heritage. I did a pretty extensive search into both my and my wifes family historys. We do both have clearly well documented cherokee women in our family trees. It must have been pretty common for white men to pick up cherokee wives.

Top 10 rock songs ever....I wrote them all. I have so much money....

4. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

In junior high, there was this guy that played tennis. His hero was Bjorn Borg, so much so, that he went around telling everyone his heart rate was similar to Bjorn Borg's...about 38 beats per minute. But, he would never let anyone check it.

5. mohair_chair

mohair_chair Tele-Meister

I worked with a guy that was a compulsive liar. At first, we all believed him. He flew planes. He jumped out of planes. He may have done both in the same flight. He raced cars and motorcycles. He did it all. Every weekend. The stories were tremendous, and full of rich detail. He was good.

We started to suspect it was BS, but didn't care to call him on it. But one day he screwed up. He said he was racing his bike at Ontario motor speedway, which I knew had closed and been torn down several years before. I even said that. He just said "huh?" And kept going. I never believed him again.

One day he "borrowed" a piece of art from the owner of the company. The owner was a big supporter of the arts and had plenty around the office. I came in and this piece was in the office I shared with the liar. I freaked because if was fragile and expensive. But this guy convinced me it was okay. Sure enough, I came in one day and it was broken. The guy denied everything. There was a small possibility he was telling the truth, but he had no credibility at that point. All I knew is that I wasn't paying for it, and the liar couldn't afford it, so I snuck the pieces out of the office and tossed them in a dumpster far away. I was officially done with that guy for good. He became a running joke after a while. I'm not sure he ever figured out that no one believed him anymore.

He had a wife and kids. How sad.

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Had a teacher in high school that lied about his service in WW II.
    He told us he was just a medic and never fired a shot.

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Does anyone remember the kid who posted here about his grandfather's '52 Tele that had been under the bed for all these years? I think he even had photos, until someone found the exact same photos on another website.

There was another guy who claimed that his wife bought him three guitars and they were all on the bed when he got home. I don't remember the details, but I do remember that the thread disappeared after a day or so.

Lying about guitars on a guitar forum just seems goofy.

8. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Their pants are on fire.

9. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

In my high school there was a young man named Craig that was an habitual liar. Everything thing that came out of his mouth was a lie.

It got to the point that a common expression in my high school was

Sure, Craig.

When someone said something you didn't believe. His name literally became synonymous with liar.

10. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

I had an assistant engineer tell a client he had his name on thousands of albums.

When I asked credit as assistant engineer on one album that had 2,500 copies pressed? we all had a good chuckle.

11. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

You know, that story might make a pretty good novel...

12. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Sounds like my mother in law.

13. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Out here, everybody claims to be part Sioux.

I wonder how many generations your family would have to had been in America for this to be true? Sooner or later in a country like the US the gene pool is going to be so broad everybody is going to be related to everyone.

14. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

In one of my other hobbies, I often run into guys who lie most fantastically about their abilities. Fortunately, that other hobby is various martial arts, and so the response is always,"Great. Let's spar so I can learn something." It never goes well for them. It gets more hilarious if they refuse, because the reason is always,"I can't spar with you, I'm too deadly". The response to that is also constant -- "Sounds like you lack control."

Then there was the guy who swore he was being salked by a motorcycle ganger who kept a sawed off shotgun concealed inside his prosthetic leg.

15. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like most of us, as a younger man I occasionally found myself walking down a road of hyperbole... then exaggeration... then well... All in an attempt to get someone to have a higher opinion about you than you think they might otherwise have.

And man, it sucks as a human when you know that the person you lied to about your abilities or experiences knows that you just made up a bunch of crap.

So I learned from that, and what I've learned is that I like the feeling of understating my experiences and abilities much better, in the sense of being humble. It's much better when your friend finds out from a difference source that you played guitar with so-and-so, than it is if they hear it ad nauseam from you.

16. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I don't encounter liars much these days. The people I encounter who say they've worked with so-and-so or know so-and-so really have.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A bunch of us went hunting one time in two 4WD pickups up in the Sierra Mountains, actually bear hunting with hounds. I really didn't cotton to having anyone with me because I like to come and go as I want, not doing that someone else wants. Selfish? OK I can live with that. Anyway the guy starts telling me how tough he is after we're about 50 miles from home up in the mountains. OK, I can handle that it's a guy thing. Well, first he tells me how he beat up three guys at one time. He looked over at me to see how that was going over, I didn't respond so he started another yarn involving more guys he beat up. When he got to the story where he beat up 27 guys at the county fair at the same time, well that's when his butt hit the road. I dumped him out of the truck, threw his kit on the ground got in the truck and left. I THINK someone picked him up.

18. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

My middle brother came home from he Army having been called back up for the Berlin Crisis. My mother noticed a bad scar on his shoulder. She asked what happened. He shrugged and said some guys jumped him and he was stabbed. My mother stewed on it and then wrote a really nasty letter to our congressman complaining that she wasn't even notified that her son had been hurt much less attacked. The congressman sent a letter to the commander of the base questioning the incident. My mother received a rather terse letter stating my brother had a large cyst removed from his back. Needless to say my brother was really embarrassed and the story is his legacy at all the holiday gatherings. When I bring up the story at holidays, I do embellish it so I guess I lie about the big lie.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Your brother said you guys are making that story up, he says he told you his HORMONES attacked him.:D

20. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I used to work with a guy we called "Topper" because any story you ever told, he would top it.

You went mountain biking in NC? He just got back from Colorado.

You took a surf trip to California? He just got back from Hawaii.

You're dating twins? He's dating triplets.

I have a brother who may "stretch" his life stories slightly. He talks a lot about his college days and is a huge homer for one of our state universities. He didn't go to college.

He posts pictures of himself on social media with his guitar. He doesn't play.

He has surf racks on his car and photos of him on social media posing with a surfboard. He does not surf.

It just seems that he's always trying to be something he's not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.