1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Letting the feeling go

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NewKid, Aug 27, 2019.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

Did you start this thread or did I? -- because I am having the identical feeling about getting a Strat. I sold a Highway One last year that satisfied that itch. Regret about that one, because it wasn't expensive. Now, a channel-bound EJ Strat, as has been suggested, might sway me but they are hard to find used, and 2-3K is a lot of dough to spend on a guitar that one doesn' absolutely love. Verdict: pass on the creamsicle, and pimp out your existing guitars by getting some new knobs or something.

NewKid likes this.
  2. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Find a guitar that you do like! Buy it, then post pics. :cool:

Muinarc and beagle like this.
  3. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Though it took me a long time to get here, I am in a "happy place" where I look at, read about, and try guitars all the time, but only buy rarely, when something is really compelling. I never tell myself that I needs this or that, and I never theorize about what guitar I should have. I just try them and unless/until I find one that is really compelling, I don't buy anything. I love guitars, and like anyone am attracted to more stuff, but after having so many come into and pass through my hands, I guess I just don't want to bother picking up anything that doesn't offer a huge kick. As I focus more on music, my dependence on gear as a focus has diminished a lot.

nojazzhere and NewKid like this.
  4. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’m not fighting GAS, but I like candy.
    Just sayin’.:cool:
    Actually, I lost a crown due to a piece of laffy taffy from a Sweetwater package last Christmas. Never mind.

5. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

My son-in-law is Dutch, and the Dutch LOVE Orange.

6. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Lord Gritty commands thee to purchase thy guitar:

"Thou shalt not leave any orange object behind"

NewKid and Bluego1 like this.
  7. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Smoothly. We just celebrated our 31st Anniversary. Guitars are another thing.

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

You bring back (in as much vivid detail as possible) the emotion of 'buyer's remorse'....I'm sure there's more than one time to draw on.....and remember how long that emotion lasts compared to the fleetingly brief thrill of the new guitar that you're not even convinced you want ......and then, for a brief but radiant time, you get to feel like an adult in charge of his emotions....I like that feeling once in a while myself!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    NewKid likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And less controversial than a Rebel Flag guitar :eek:

10. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Creamsicle made me laugh! Yes, you are right. I’m NOT going to buy this strat and get a set of Fender Pure Vintage ‘65 Jazzmaster pickups for my Classic Player Jazzmaster instead.

WilburBufferson and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I think Joe is a secret member here, and this is what happened to him after joining.

[​IMG]

12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

The crazed desire to buy a new holy grail will fade with time grasshopper. Today's holy grail, tomorrow's Reverb sale.

NewKid likes this.
  13. stuffinplays

stuffinplays TDPRI Member

Buy a cheap MIM used local or build a cheap parts strat just to have a strat around. That way you won't be losing value on a new guitar if you end up selling it later on, and you will have less invested in one. Also, you can just keep it around for that rare occasion that you decide you like strats, and since you don't have mmuch invested in it, it doesn't hurt ya. I'm like you but with tele's. I LOVE the look and thought of a nice tele and I always buy em just to sell or trade them later... So I build partscaster teles for fun to try different pickups, hardware, etc. and I get to become better at DIY luthiery all while scratching the tele itch. They get sold or traded and I lose a few bucks here and there but it's a lot of fun.

NewKid likes this.
  14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

use the money that you wanted to spend on the Strat to help someone else, who can't afford a new Strat. And maybe can't afford a home, or a car, etc.

RiversQC and NewKid like this.
  15. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

This was no holy grail guitar. Just a good Strat to have around and 4th in line of my electrics - in other words, a terrible reason to buy a guitar.

16. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

I thought about a Squire Classic Vibe 60s Strat too for $349 new. I would have to play one first though.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

there is a function in our brain that is the 'seeking gene'

collectors (and hoarders) have it in the extreme... the thrill is in the hunt and the more rare and weird, the higher the high when we finally 'get it'

There is another tendency that likes to hold (I think because we know how rare and weird the item is and yet the rest of the world is pretty ho hum about it and the value may be too low)

and a third that is the avoidance gene... that one says, "I'll start working out if I get a peloton" or whatever...

figure out which one you've got and DON'T feed it!

WilburBufferson and Nubs like this.
  18. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That’s what I have and am happy with. But hey if the orange tickles your fancy...

NewKid likes this.
  19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Cannot relate to this or maybe misunderstand...

Are you attracted to ( yet another from what it sounds like, Stratocasters) buying a model of guitar you dont even like, but it is a good deal, therefore you should get it?

And you want to know if others go thru the same dilemma?
    If that is the question, then NO, for me.

It's one thing to buy/try a guitar, you think you are going to like, but don't, as you end up not liking style, sound,, features; or maybe just don't bond with that one...we have all done that.
    ( and maybe sell, trade, or just STOP with that one bad purchase)

But to say " Should I buy another Strat, I don't like Strats!" I just can't process.
    I'm not a collector, everything is loved, played on gigs...

NewKid likes this.
  20. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

I know it’s confusing.

I wasn’t getting a Strat because I found a good deal. I just keep thinking I want a Strat. But if I’m honest with myself I really don’t.

Bottom line, I’m going to enjoy the guitars I have and let this feeling that I want a Strat pass.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.