Letting the feeling go

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NewKid, Aug 27, 2019.

1. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

5E261E25-5E12-4B1C-AC53-02166E5F162F.jpeg I’m ready to pull the trigger on a Fender Player Series Strat in Capri Orange. Got a nice quote on a new one from Sweetwater yesterday.

Then this morning I remembered that I don’t like Strats and I already have three other electrics I like a lot more.

So do I let the feeling of buying another guitar or the feeling of not liking Strats go?

I know this is the wrong place to ask. But how do some of you get over this emotion? I can certainly rationalize both sides.

Chiogtr4x, Nubs and nojazzhere like this.
  2. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I would let the feeling of buying another guitar go. I've done the same thing several times. A Strat becomes appealing to me and I buy it. I then realize that I don't like strats and end up going back to my teles. Before long enough time passes that I see a strat that is really killer to look at....I forget that I don't like strats and buy it. Then i end up getting rid of it again because I simply can't get along with strats over a tele. I've probably went through 4 or 5 strats, with each time remembering that they just aren't for me.

Matt G, NewKid, howardlo and 2 others like this.
  3. Wytee

Wytee TDPRI Member

Wait a few weeks and see if the feeling subsides. I have this happen all the time. Sometimes the feeling will fade away or sway in the direction of another option.

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I am also eyeing strats online and then I have to keep reminding myself that when I sold my in the spring strat after trying to turn it into basically a tele, I swore I would never get another one because I don't like them!

Except that I do. And that orange one is pretty cool...

NewKid, WingedWords and verb boten like this.
  5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I am sure you can get a better colour, at least there is that

NewKid and verb boten like this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

take it from a guy who wants to own every left handed guitar ever made, some times you have to let it go , strats are beautiful guitars, I have 2 but ( here it comes) I never liked stock fender pickups , they work but i never liked the sound , so I ended up replacing pick guards till I found a system that worked for me........so if you've cooled down on the purchase there was a reason for it, save your coins and if something else pops up , check it out

Nubs likes this.
  7. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Similar story to yours, NewKid. A couple of weeks ago I had huge GAS for an ES175 type jazz box. I spent a very happy few days looking at affordable alternatives on the web and was all set to go and try my #1 choice in a store about an hour away. Life got in the way for a few days and in the meantime I reassessed the 1956 ES125 I’ve had for some time and realised it does everything a jazz box would do for me, if it had a bit of work done on the nut, frets and bridge. Which I’m going to have done after a short holiday due next week. And it’s got more mojo than a newly built oriental box will ever have.

In a word - sleep on it for a few days. Maybe a week??

And having said that, earlier today I was browsing the bookmarks I made for reviews etc on the Eastman AR372 and thinking how pretty it looks.... Maybe I need to sleep on it a bit longer.

NewKid and nojazzhere like this.
  8. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

Buy NOW and SAVE!!!

(sorry; no help here...)

9. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Sweetwater now carries Danelectro...that's all i got.

Every new guitar is a favorite for a while, you love some and cherish them, others become Case Queens until you unload them. The important thing here (IMO) is to learn over time what to avoid. I have 2 strats that are different, one's a hardtail, one maple board and one rosewood, different pickups, IOW everything i need in a strat and have no need for another so they are off the shopping list. Kinda sad really. :(

NewKid likes this.
  10. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Let it go, bro. If you're already saying you don't like strats, then the $$$ is just burning a hole in your pocket, and you know already that you won't be happy with it in the long run.

verb boten, NewKid and howardlo like this.
  11. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

ive tried but me and strats just don't jive.
    Teles. SGs, LPs, Vs and almost anything else but a strat. I love the way they look and sound - when played by somebody else - so I just cant get gas for a strat at all

NewKid and LunarSlingShot like this.
  12. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Always been a Tele guy. Bought several strats over the past 10 years, ranging from Custom Shop to Squiers. Sold them all. Then I had MJT put one together for me with some Cavalier pups and it finally clicked. Turns out I'm a Tele AND Strat guy. Give it a shot. Could be the one.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    NewKid likes this.
  13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wait one week and see how you feel.

NewKid, Deathray and nojazzhere like this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Wait, you're about to pull the trigger on a Strat and you just remember you don't like Strats?

How did your wedding day go?

teletimetx, VWAmTele, SuprHtr and 5 others like this.
  15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

One good Strat should “vaccinate” you from your negative feelings about Strats.
    I have an great Fender EJ Strat.
    It has noiseless Kinman 1969 pickups, and it plays beautifully.
    It’s a perfect Strat, IMO.
    I find it works really well with some bands that I work for.
    Anyways, that Capri Orange looks cool.
    Check it out, you can always horse-trade it away.
    I very heartily recommend the EJ Strats, all of em’.

NewKid and nojazzhere like this.
  16. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@NewKid - nice strat - cool color.
    But if the guitar is not a pre-war Martin, the deal will present itself again later if it turns out you must have this guitar.
    Sweetwater's a nice store, but whatever they have, there'll be some more available.
    If it'll help, I can mail you some candy.
    Peace - Deeve

verb boten, NewKid and Deathray like this.
  17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

For me that "emotion to buy" goes away within a day of getting the item 9 times out of 10. I think you are on the right track, you don't NEED another guitar you wont play!
    It's a bit like quitting smoking. Having quit 3 times for a year or so and restarting, I realized that I just have to get past the urge to stop and buy a pack until the convenience store is distant in the rear view mirror. You just need a minute to put it behind you and think about something else...

But then....
    "oh wait!,... I'm getting old and I deserve it! You only live once!"

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Since you asked for opinions......maybe I'm old, but I've come to realize I don't have to have a lot of guitars just 'cause they're there. Every time I pull out one of my other guitars, it makes me realize the only guitar I NEED is my three pickup Mongrelcaster Tele. I could afford a few others, but I can't rationalize or justify any more. I take my PRS SE One (with added neck p/up) on gigs as a back-up, but since I've been contemplating putting together a "replica" of my #1 for that purpose, I'm considering selling the PRS. Everything I hold onto (not to be morbid, but...) is just something else for my grandson to be burdened with when I'm gone.
    I have a really nice MIJ Fender Squier Strat that NEVER gets played.....I need to sell it as well.
    Good luck.

NewKid likes this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah - like darker orange.

I love me some orange. All different shades but especially deep orange. How about a deep orange Strat with a wide Rosewood fingerboard ? Yes please !

verb boten and NewKid like this.
  20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I'm going through this right now. I want to build a blonde Bassman Head. I had a bassman head a year ago. I sold it and got a Bandmaster Reverb head. Why? I dont know, it was a good deal needing work, has a tube rectifier instead. But I have a custom speaker cab that now is narrower than the BMR head and looks funky on stage. And I dont use reverb! Arghhh...
    SO now I want to build a Blonde Bassman head.
    Somebody stop me! :eek:

nojazzhere and NewKid like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.