Let's try to learn something...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Mar 29, 2020.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A lot of us are stuck home.
    We're doing with less.
    We're driving much less.
    We're flying much less.
    My wife, who is very sensitive to these things, says the rain smells and tastes better.
    I think the sky is clearer.
    We are buying less stuff.
    We are using less resources.
    Let's not only learn something...but let's not forget it within a week if its ending.
    Maybe the line between luxury and necessity will become clearer.
    There are gifts, if we choose to accept them.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Flaneur, Matt G, Biffasmum and 14 others like this.
  2. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Yep, time to calibrate the compass.

Matt G, Biffasmum and charlie chitlin like this.
  3. charlie chitlin

Woah...shockingly little action on this one.
    Maybe we're just waiting to get back to the mall.

4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Nah. Gun shy about getting a thread locked. These conversations aren’t easy to have here without tiptoeing.

5. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

It'll be a wake up call to many and to others, not so much.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Today, I watched a Shell's Wonderful World of Golf match between Ben Hogan, and Sam Snead. The golf course was beautiful, the players were clean shaven and well dressed, even their golf shoes gleamed from a fresh polishing. The gallery was polite, well dressed and CLEAN! The match occurred in 1965. I then went out and did my mowing and yard work PRETENDING it was 1965. I managed to correct my schedule and do the yard on Monday too. Life is good, it's still 1965 here in the TD home twenty.

Wally likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

TDPRI book club? We could choose a free online one from Project Gutenberg.

8. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I’m relearning first grade math, reading, spelling and social studies today. Getting to spend more time at home helping my son with his studies is a blessing in a time of uncertainty.

Matt G, Piggy Stu and Stringbanger like this.
  9. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

In college, my wife and I went through a very serious minimalism phase. We sold most everything we owned, took up the 100 thing challenge, rode bikes instead of cars, learned to mend and fix, talked poetically about the trappings of consumerism. It was a lovely time in our lives.

We even started building our own tiny house. We did it all ourselves, together. We learned all about framing, insulating, wiring, plumbing, the use of power tools, etc. It was great.

We daydreamed of buying a large heavily treed property, planting this on it; solar panels, water collection tanks, massive garden, food cellar, and the easy life. She's an artist. She'd paint for a living. I'd do odd jobs around town. We wouldn't need much money. We could relax and enjoy life on our own homestead.

But then we both got good job offers. We started making money. We started spending money. We bought a regular house. She bought a new car. Then we needed a new AC unit on the house. Then a new refrigerator. Along the way we packed the house full of stuff that we don't need. Being frankly honest, we're in our early 30s, with little savings, and a lot of debt.

But then covid-19 came. We're spending more time at home now. More time slowing down. Enjoying each other's company. Reading a lot. She's painting again. I'm writing and playing guitar. A lot of relaxing. But at the same time worrying. Our saving won't last long if it needs to. Our debt is more of an elephant in the room now. And we're really starting to daydream about that homestead of ours again.

Here's the tiny house as it stands today. It needs interior walls, the bathroom to be finished, and some basic cabinetry. We've decided that once this virus passes, we're spending our weekends finishing this old project.
    53275867_813901105613556_4659738946606576307_n.jpg

10. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

We took a long walk around the neighborhood yesterday and I was telling my daughter the same thing. The air seems cleaner. It's nice to go for a long bike ride on the country roads around here and not have to worry so much about some idiot on their cell phone not paying attention to the road...

11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I've been amazed at how the news has been reporting less smog, less atmosphere contamination, since everyone is isolated. I suppose it makes sense. In my neighbourhood you can actually stay away from people by walking in the center of the street. There's no traffic. We live near a busy thoroughfare and became used to the constant sound of traffic. Now we're startled by the silence. Yes, I hope we can all look at our lives once this is over and decide that the changes we had to make are good changes and beneficial ones.

12. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Heck, I'm just trying to learn Logic Pro.

tubegeek likes this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Why, doesn’t it draw circles any more?

14. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Totally agree.
    All that matters at times like these are friends and family (that includes furry babies).
    Everything else is just 'stuff'.
    We don't need it. We want it, but we don't need it.
    God...I've turned into a hippy - ha.

Matt G likes this.
  15. charlie chitlin

We live a pretty scaled-down life in many ways.
    We live on an organic farm.
    There are 10 of us in the house.
    4 can drive, and we share 1 car.
    We grow/raise maybe 1/2 our food.
    About another 1/4 comes from donations from Trader Joe's and a small natural food store nearby (we're a non-profit).
    Mama Chitlins owns a pair of muck Boots, a pair of winter boots, a pair of open shoes, a pair of closed shoes and 1 handbag. It's an indication of how we live.
    The cancellation of our Florida trip to see her dad got us thinking that we may never fly again because of the environmental impact.
    We usually eat out once a week...this isn't our preference, but, being constantly surrounded by people (10 at the table, 3x/day), it's nice to have a meal with just the 3 of us (CC Jr. just turned 8). Now we're reconsidering ways to have some alone time without eating out, which we probably did 5x/year before moving to "the village".
    Yesterday, we made some sandwiches and sat by a bonfire reading the Sunday paper. Glorious.
    I'm willing to discuss this to a point.
    If anybody brings up my gear collection, I'll post something that will get the thread shut down.
    Bwaaaaaaahahahaha!!!

ClashCityTele and Matt G like this.
  16. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Whew! We just returned from Florida on March 19th. My Dad proposed to me to drive him and his girlfriend back. They are both 88 years old. I couldn’t say no, even though my wife and I intended on flying back. We had to drive to Fort Myers from Marco Island to return our Nissan Altima, and pickup a Chevy Tahoe, because we needed a bigger vehicle. It worked out, because we had been trying to cancel our American Airlines flight, but we couldn’t get through via phone nor email. So we went to the American Airlines desk, and we cancelled in person.

I wasn’t really keen on driving from FL to PA, but I didn’t have much of a choice. We made it to Santee, SC the first day and spent the night in a Holiday Inn.

The weirdest part was the beltways around Washington D.C. and Baltimore. We hit D.C. around 3:30, which, I think is normally the beginning of their rush hour.
    Now, traffic was busy, but there were no delays whatsoever! (We drove passed The Pentagon, and we saw The Washington Monument).

The day after we returned (Saturday), I brought an acoustic down to the kitchen.
    I had not played in over 2 weeks, so I was Jonesing to play. I got it out of the case, and I tuned it up. I began paging through a 3-ringed binder of songs, but nothing was appealing. I put the guitar back in the case. My mind was still on the road.

ClashCityTele and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Certainly a wake up call, reset time for all of us, the whole world’s population.

18. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

I have been locked in at work (not allowed to leave), because I work in a critical control room, for over a week now. We will be sequestered here for at least another month.
    One good thing that has come out of it is that I have been able to practice my guitar 1-2 hours everyday. With real life, I rare get that amount of time. So that has been really nice.

Stringbanger likes this.
  19. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Hey, that's a bit rough. Most people are stuck at home not work.
    Hang in there. I'm sure your guitar will help.
    Take care.

nobis17 and Stringbanger like this.
  20. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Ran into the guitar tech at our music store while at the almost empty grocery store. He's out of a job right now. I'm all for scaling back, but lets not forget that some of our frivolous spending lines the pockets of good people.

Luxury and opulence are things we can usually do without, but dollar bills ricocheting through a community usually do a lot of good things that we don't think enough about either. Its a balance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.