Let's talk Power Supplies ... and dollars

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by WrayGun, May 14, 2016.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Greetings,

Okay, is there are reason that I shouldn't pay $40 bucks for this power supply for my board, other than not wanting to be a sucker?

I think it says they are isolated outputs. How can this be so cheap?

2. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

Never saw this before...

3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

And it has pretty blue lights .....

4. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

No way those are individually isolated. Notice the power supply feeding the "power supply" looks like a 1spot. It wouldn't need to be fed by a transformer if it had transformer(s) in it. This is probably just a big box of LEDs and daisy chained connectors.

waparker4 and telefunken like this.
  5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

It's not really isolated, it's basically a daisy-chained 1-spot with 12 and 18v taps. It might work OK with analog pedals that don't draw much, if you have digital pedals you're gonna be in noise city.

6. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

I've seen these on Amazon being sold under a variety of different brand names, probably all made by the same factory in China. If you read the reviews, several people report that this isn't a true isolated power supply.

7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I got something very simular a few weeks back.... so far, no problems.. I am only running the 9v stompboxes off of it and using transformers for the 3 big power items on my board... i'm still leary of its reliability.. eye peeled for a VooDoo Labs on Ebay...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  9. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just glorified daisy chain with couple of higher voltage taps.

In that price range look at Vitoos dc8, it at least gives you 3 isolation points, the 2 high power and chain of 6 is third. Works very nice and this box is small though you do still have a wall wart switching supply.

[​IMG]

10. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

I think it can be isolated. Whether it's resistive, capacitive, or diodes, if you think about it, it can't be a simple daisy chain. The high voltage 'taps' are tapped how? Those are 1000mA while the other 9VDC 'taps' are only 300mA how? If all the voltage dropping and filtering are done in the 1-spot, why is the case as large as it is?
    I don't know the product, and I am more skeptical than most about this. But I just don't see anything to fear. I would try it, and even if it is crap, it's only $40. And even if it isn't isolated, we all have boards powered by a 1-Spot or a Power-All daisy chain. We lived to tell about how our pedals sounded. Try it, and it's likely good.

Alamo likes this.
  11. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Great question. It's a good point about the voltage doubling, but clearly, they are not putting full AC through the little cord on that wall wart. Maybe it outputs 18v and they step it down from there. There are a lot of ways to try to filter without true isolation (i think mxr dc brick is an example). Personally, I'm still powering my large pedal board mostly off a single 1spot. I'd like to get a cs12, but I don't have room for giant boxes just for blue lights.

12. alphasports

alphasports TDPRI Member

I bought the same one off eBay a month or 2 back, absolutely NOT individually isolated. Loud, buzzy, and completely useless. Returned the next day. Have since figured out you need to spend real money on something as important as a multi-supply, otherwise invest in a really big multi-plug power bar and get individual wall warts for each pedal, this option will cost much less than a good isolated supply.

13. DaveKS

Deceptive marketing to make the uneducated masses think their getting something "just like" the more advanced true isolated supplies for 1/3 the price.

14. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. As is often the case, I am now more confused than I was before (esp. since I'm an idiot with electronics).

Sounds like there are two camps: one says, try it, it's only $40 bucks. The other says don't waste your money, save for something more expensive (with truly isolated taps).

I don't really want to waste $40 bucks, so I guess I will keep saving my money. Any thoughts on a power supply that is truly everything we want it to be, but doesn't break the bank? That is, what is a good starting point for a small pedal board (anywhere from five to eight or nine pedals)? I like to buy good equipment that will last and perform well, beyond my current (ha, electricity joke) needs.

15. patient81

patient81 TDPRI Member

Got two of these supplies (Caline branded ones) under my board powering about 17 pedals and have ZERO noise issues at all. Only using a couple of digital pedals and keep these on their own outputs. I highly recommend them and can be had on ebay for less than £20. Gigged them regularly for the last year and they lasted longer than the Voodoo labs supply that my friend got about the same time though I expect they will replace that unit for him.

16. 782369

782369 Tele-Meister

No need to be confused. If it's a no name brand that is cheap just don't buy it.
    You can trust Voodoo Labs, Cioks, BBE, Decibel 11, T-REX, Truetone 1 Spot, Yankee.
    Here is a very useful list:
    http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808

17. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

true isolated or not, I'm not sure what the electronics in there exactly do but there's a lot going on.
    if one cable or pedal shorts out, the corresponding light goes off or starts blinking. the others still keep working.
    this is inside the Caline Portable Power.

[​IMG]

waparker4 likes this.
  18. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

You could probably get by with a Voodoo Labs ISO5... they go for about $75 used. You can daisy chain some of your drives and tuner off one tap, use the rest for the pedals that need isolated power. If you need more outlets than that, save your money & take your time, and you can find a used VL Pedal Power 2 for around $100... both power supplies are well worth the money.

19. AlpineHillbilly

AlpineHillbilly TDPRI Member

20. DaveKS

I'd look at new one spot pro cs7, reasonably priced.

[​IMG]

Sune Andersson and CAAD8N8 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.