1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Let's talk other epic guitar solos by Prince and not just "While my guitar gently weeps"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, May 2, 2021.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Okay, I know, Prince's outtro solo is deservedly named over and over as the moment that the average Joe found out that Prince could play a MEAN guitar.

But seeing it pop up over and over is starting to get old.

So let's put up the clips of our royal badness where he showed how skilled he was on the six strings which happened prior and after that RHOF performance.

Prince in 1994, rocking one of his Symbol guitars and boy does he EVER rock it.

Rocking the Hohner in 1987 during the "Lovesexy" tour.

Again rocking the Hohner but this time with the classic line up of the Revolution during the Purple Rain tour, this particular solo easily outdoes the "While my guitar" performance.

Now if there's a song which will forever be associated with Prince... Gotto be THIS one.

Note how he plays the Hohner and the Cloud guitar back to back and how the sound changes when he uses the Cloud, it's THAT sound, there simply wasn't another guitar which sounded like that.

2. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

I never thought his solo on My Guitar Gently Weeps was particularly special. I'm not saying I could do better, but Prince certainly did and he did so very often too.

3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I rather like Prince's solo in this song here.

The solo begins at the 2:30 mark, or thereabouts.
    Great use of the wah pedal.

Considering that Prince played every instrument in the entire production, I'm suitably impressed.

:)

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

scook and EllroyJames like this.
  5. blowtorch

This is the bit that made tons of hard-rock leaning guitarists go "wow, dude can play!" back in the halicon days of everyone wanting to be EVH

6. blowtorch

This simple lick from 3:08 to 3:20-ish is pure unbridled joy

Lawdawg and beanluc like this.
  7. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Poster Extraordinaire

blowtorch likes this.
  8. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

It was more of a killer performance than a killer solo, musically.

People listen with their eyes. As proven every time a woman performer is mentioned on this site.

mindlobster likes this.
  9. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister

It’s not live, but I always loved how positive the solo on Gold was:

blowtorch likes this.
  10. blowtorch

this is true. listen to just the audio, and it's okay-pretty good

It's when you watch him PERFORM his part that it's clearly and simply magical

performance is more than just music

11. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Well, Princes guitars sounded how he wanted them to. I don't think the sound the Cloud is putting out in the back-to-back section is "that sound", it's got a heavy fuzz on it at that point.

I think "that sound" is the solo on the Cloud at 10:something. Crazy intense overdrive in the signal chain. Of course, he got that sound before any of the various Clouds were ever made - he got it from the Hohner on the actual album and Purple Rain tour.

He definitely got "that sound" from the various unpronounceable symbol guitars later. The black Tele too. Personally I think sixty percent of "that sound" is signal chain, forty percent attitude. I think he could get it from any guitar he wanted to.

Anyway, good thread. Prince shreds, and more soulfully than shredders.

12. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The Purple Rain solo is the top one for me .... and seeing him on the LoveSexy tour, the show ended with him standing on the trunk of a ~ '66 Thunderbird, facing backwards as the car slowly, fully rounded the stage-in-the-round, in the dark with headlights on, Prince wailing the solo outro of PR and on out thru the (zamboni) doors .... an incredible music moment that I will never ever forget!

blowtorch likes this.
  13. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

Really don’t get the hype over both that song OR his playing on it, which as others have said is solid but not remarkable. I get it’s in the performance where he truly does put his heart and soul into it, but even so.

I concur that I think his finest moment was in Purple Rain, but he’s also excellent in all the clips above too. He really was an underrated guitarist imho

richiek65 likes this.
  14. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

gotta include . . . (which i just realised, is a misplaced u2 song)

15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

The first time I heard/saw While My Guitar I thought it was ok. I never thought it would explode forever on social media as the pinnacle of Prince's brilliance as a guitarist. If it hadn't have been filmed I'd not have given it another thought. The Super Bowl was much better of a performance imo.

I'd have to sift through some Prince audio to pick out my favorite guitar playing tho.

blowtorch and Cyberi4n like this.
  16. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Good point. I never thought of it like that but you're right. Amongst all of those famous musicians on the stage, he steals the limelight.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

still a jam

boogie forever

blowtorch likes this.
  18. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

This is one of many great guitar solos by Prince, but it's also full of incredibly tasty fills and licks, all kinds of textures. It's a guitar masterclass from a true master of the instrument.

19. whole tone

whole tone TDPRI Member

Raised on Prince. I would say my favorite 2 albums back to back are 'Purple Rain' and 'Around the World in a Day'! I love 'Parade' too, and 'Sign 'O the Times'. Oh.. and I love this Fury!

For the record, he laid down the guitar to feedback here :)

Need one of them phaser 95's yall talk about

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    regularslinky likes this.
  20. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I agree, Prince was phoning that one in, he can do WAAY better, and often does.

KATT likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.