1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Let's Talk Dynamics.

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by KrenarCilku, Feb 24, 2021.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't think you can say it (or anything) is "most important" but its a very important part of a lot of music that I like, and good dynamics are a big part of what I'm trying to achieve personally. There are plenty of tunes without a lot of dynamics that I like too, though.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  2. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

One of the general criticisms of today’s pop music is the lack of dynamics.

drmordo, nojazzhere and KrenarCilku like this.
  3. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

When thinking about dynamics, I first think about being able to go from clean(ish) to overdriven sounds , and back, without touching any knobs or switches.

drmordo and KrenarCilku like this.
  4. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Dynamics are huge - not the single most important thing, but still huge. I've seen unamplified classical guitarists make their audience jump with dynamic contrasts.

5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

I agree. It is the most important thing. Anyone can just fret a note and pluck it. Without dynamics its incredibly boring

nojazzhere and KrenarCilku like this.
  6. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

not sure if it's the most important thing, but it's one of the critical aspects of good guitar playing . My band is very volume-minded, really into dynamics, and I work the volume knob on my guitars constantly.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  7. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Same here, take your 1000 watts rig and please turn it to 0.5 volume-wise.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I suspect that's mostly due to "radio friendly" mixes. I listen to our local classical music station, WRR, a lot, (in the car) and with classical music, many times a quiet passage is almost inaudible. You turn it up a little, and then BLAM!!!!!.....a loud part comes in and blasts your ears. With many pop listeners, if the volume dips down too low, many will think the stations gone out, and simply switch stations. ;)

9. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Dynamics and space in what you play is probably the most important thing when playing by yourself, and ABSOLUTELY the most important thing when playing with others!

KrenarCilku and rand z like this.
  10. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Serious question here. Since we're in a thread where, by and large, we're agreed on the importance of dynamics - what's the take here on compressor pedals?

drmordo and GreatDaneRock like this.
  11. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I work on it a lot, practicing and especially during performances.

I see/hear individuals and bands that seem to totally disregard any dynamics.

Imo, its use makes music come alive... and breathe.

And, I believe it greatly separates the pros from the average.

(Im thinking Bela Fleck & the Flecktones... they know how to use use dynamics!)

KrenarCilku and GreatDaneRock like this.
  12. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

Control of the dynamic range is probably the biggest weakness of most amateur and semi-pro bands, as well as some professional bands. This is certainly true of most of the bands I've been in. It's common for bands to have loud songs and quiet songs. But not songs that build and drop at the appropriate times. The builds and drops are where the expression comes from, where anticipation, tension and release come from.

Ultimately, I think a lot of musicians play drums or play guitar, and don't understand that the goal is not to play an instrument, but to play music. In order for it to be music, dynamics are not negotiable.

13. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Holic

A good song, passage or progression will have a call for some sort of change in dynamics at some point. Typically there's a build up going into a chorus, an up or down tempo section, or maybe some empty space somewhere. The drummer stops, the beat picks up, etc. Different fills. Not playing for a time is a dynamics change. Just like a good story needs a character that is going through some sort of complication, and somehow they come out changed in the end, a song needs some build ups and break downs. We are at the service of the song, forcing dynamics is just uneven playing if it's not in a musical context.

Intros and outros are great ways to showcase dynamics, especially with an acoustic song. Chorus & verse are usually enough change to allow for some dynamic playing ideas.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  14. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I would agree. If you’re out of tune, can’t keep time, it’s best to play softly. At least that was my strategy in high school band.

bromdenlong and KrenarCilku like this.
  15. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Meister

As a converted classical player I consider dynamics and touch to be vital- phrasing tends to be rather shockingly square for even some pretty good players; a lot of them, actually. Even those who fingerpick-usually with some sort of hybrid technique involving a lot of wrist- generally don't have any real control of inner voices and tend to depend on electronics to control volume and tone. You lose way too much of the instrument's possibilities that way.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  16. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I think that it is just easier to not use dynamics.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. juliomoreno

juliomoreno TDPRI Member

18. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

One expression of dynamics is not playing at all. Growing up in organized music there are frequent sections which some instruments are silent. My experience in rock/pop bands is this never happens.

19. stueycaster

stueycaster TDPRI Member

Every time I play my guitar.

20. stueycaster

stueycaster TDPRI Member

This is why I use 2 compressors. One set for screaming leads. The other very lightly as just to fill out the rhythm sound a little. I still get dynamics with this light setting.

tattypicker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.