1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Let's talk about the weirdest signature model guitars....

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Blazer, Jun 14, 2015.

1. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I like petrucci...but why does he have 30 plus models...bfr, majesty, alder, basswood, mahogany tone block...etc I got worn out looking at the music man sight. Just go back to the Ibanez Picasso

2. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a new one on me - but is it a John Petrucci signature model - or a Pablo Picasso signature model :0)

3. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

How about the Nigel Tufnel model Music Man?

nigeltufnel.jpg

fortj3 likes this.
  4. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"It goes up to eleven, that's one louder innit?"

SheldonP likes this.
  5. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I could see the appeal of this. It's not for me, because I was raised in a Fender household, but for other folks, sure. It is modern looking for sure and for folks looking to move on from the traditional look of a Strat... That's not bad. Does it have a regular musicman headstock?

6. nogin007

nogin007 Tele-Meister

I don't have a photo, but Ibanez built a signature model for Paul Gilbert, called the Fireman.

7. tintag27

The 6 string version has the 4+2 signature headstock - but unusually, it is angled back for this model...
    (by the way, it only weighs about 7 lbs)

8. tintag27

Here ya go! Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 19.07.12.png

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The Gilbert Fireman is an upside-down Iceman model. Ibanez also did an Iceman variation as Paul Stanley signature (speaking of guys who have had signature models from multiple companies).

10. tintag27

Here's another unique model - Tom Quayle is a young British guitarist with an absolutely flawless jazz fusion technique, and a very well known guitar tutor on the internet... This is his Fibenare Erotic Custom signature model
    Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 21.51.43.png

11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yikes! Was there a single thing about that video that was good - aside from the fact that it eventually ended?

I think they covered every chapter of the 'metal video cliche' book with that one.

- D

12. Blazer

Yeah, look up "Train wreck" in the dictionary and it should show that video.

The worst thing about it though is that there's NO irony about it, if they had went "Boy aren't we a bunch of nutters?" this video would have at least have some credence about it. But NO, they were serious, no joking and so the joke's on them.

Speaking of jokers...
    [​IMG]
    Vinnie Vincent of all former Kiss members takes the absolute cake. I mean, it takes a lot to make Gene Simmons look humble but this guy achieved just that.
    [​IMG]
    After being fired from Kiss because he refused to renew his contract, meaning that the band had to tour with an uninsured member and thus a liability, because suppose if a calamity involving him happened the insurance company could not pay for his treatment because of his expired contract he basically wasn't a member at all. He sued the band for unpaid royalties but the accountants of the band neatly presented all the paperwork to the judge that showed he was paid accordingly when his contract was still viable and that the band had no obligation to continue paying him after his contract had expired since he no longer was a salaried employee of the band.

He signed a multi million dollar contract with Chrystalis records for ten albums with the Vinnie Vincent Invasion but after only two of the said albums were delivered the record company, tired from the fact that Vinnie just kept delaying the release of the other albums and using more and more of the record company's resources without bringing in any revenue, fired him from his own band and gave the remaining members the rest of the money and the contract, they took a new guitarist and reformed as Slaughter.
    [​IMG]
    Ironically, Slaughter got their big break opening up for Kiss during their "Hot in the shade" tour.

[​IMG]
    In the early nineties Vinnie again emerged with Kiss, apparently Gene Simmons decided that everybody deserves a second chance. Vinnie signed another contract with the band and was hired to help out on what became their "Revenge" album. Vinnie wrote a couple of songs, was involved with the recording process and was paid accordingly. All was well...

Until he decided to go back to his old ways and sue the band for the unpaid royalties for the other albums he was involved with, again though the accountants of the band presented the meticulous paperworks to the court which showed that he was paid accordingly when he was employed with the band and since his contract had expired the band had no obligation to pay him anymore. Again Vinnie walked out none the richer.

Vinnie, Vinnie, Vinnie... you idiot.

13. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

I love her guitar and I have to say if you don't think St. Vincent is a player then you are missing something. She doesn't wank but she's got mad skills. Berklee ain't for the faint of heart.

14. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Forgive my ignorance but I think kindergarten, not hair metal when I look at these. They're cute

15. Blazer

But when you hear Jason Becker play he certainly doesn't evoke images of Kindergarten.

Can imagine playing this with ALS?

tintag27 likes this.
  16. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

Alex Gregory 7 string Stratocaster:

[​IMG]

17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

That was the in joke - before ALS robbed him of his ability to play (although he still composes on his computer) Becker was a virtuoso. He was getting ready to break out of the guitar nerd world and into the mainstream as David Lee Roth's sideman replacing Steve Vai. Vai of course had done two tours with Roth; on the first tour he had a bunch of custom guitars like that Performance Flame guitar, and on the second tour he had the Ibanez Jems. Becker wanted something unique and went with the kindergarten block look.

Of course he was diagnosed with ALS, and it progressed rapidly while he was recording the A Little Ain't Enough album with Roth. Becker was barely able to complete the album due to the illness and was unable to tour, so the original Peavey version was never produced.

18. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I'd rather think of kindergarten.

I can understand that he has talent, but it's just not my thing

19. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted

Hee hee.

I have one. It's an...interesting guitar. The neck is really wacky for my taste - wide but thin. But for the $100 I paid for it I can't complain. It's also dead mint.

I need to set it up - it has .009s on it which I just can't play. Going to change it to .011s. I want to change the pickup too - I'm thinking the Lollar P-90 for humbucker size rout.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Named after the horn design?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.