Let's talk about the Weather

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I"ve been listening to audio books about WW2, you know the big one.
I've spent a lot of time in Russia in the winter, on the steps Stalingrad, Kursk and that general area and -20 below was not uncommon .
I live in the Ca. Bay Area and a freezing winter gets down to 30, when we call it really cold and it only stays that cold for a few days or a week. It's not like 2 or 3 or 4 month of -20 below, so what do I know about cold ?
I happen to notice that Wisconsin and Minnesota get some really low temps, in the winter
No matter how you measure it, among major cities in the United States it's at the Minneapolis—St Paul region of Minnesota where you'll find the coldest winter weather. The Twin Cities have the most cold days, chilliest nights and overall the lowest average temperatures among the largest urban areas in United States.
Living in sub zero weather outside with no shelter, frozen ground, frost bite until your eyelids freeze off, as in WW2, the big one, so I've just been thinking about the cold, really cold for extended periods of time. When I spent a winters month in N.Y.N.Y. the warmest afternoon got up to 32 degrees. Again I hear about the midwest getting blasted by the cold blowing down from the arctic, so what's it like to actually have a real winter season? Stupid question? Yeah, o.k. sure, unless you live in what is officially known as a Mediterranean climate , we have a banana tree growing in the backyard ,stupid unless you have ten year droughts, no snow and your glasses don't fog up when you walk outside, What's a snow day?
winter minnesota.jpg

winter siberia.jpg

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
@ping-ping-clicka First look at tip of Keweenaw Peninsula on a map. Then Lake Superior north shore. My posse of funsters and my daughter are eager for the Mount Bohemia annual pass sale, long "white knuckle" drives and skiing far away from the big resort madness including price that has developed.

Boho is hard to explain but you actually pass the last place on earth to get there and this video might help explain. Also, just go for a nice bike ride when skiing and skating are not ideal.

Full disclosure: We own vehicles known for bad weather prowess, shod with 3 peak tires, and equipped with shovel and jumper cables.

last-place-on-earth.jpg

XHbfL2m.jpg

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
There is a reason I live in the Caribbean
Our passports prove many visits there and elsewhere over decades but we love the diversity of changing seasons and living in the shadows or back yard of a major university "town".

Confession. It just rose above freezing, and either side of 50 degrees will be perfect for a combo bike/hike mid day.

vSgFafP.jpg

Ce8nuO4.jpg

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
Had to look to see if this was a Killing Joke thread.

Since it isn’t and I live in the cold western prairies of Canada, I can describe a few winters.

Typically we used to have significant snowfall before Halloween. I remember as a kid crying because I wanted more candy but couldn’t hold onto the bag of loot anymore because my hands were so cold (with gloves/mitts). Snow would typically arrive in October and remain until at least late April.

The last decade or so has been different. Less snow and overall averages have been a bit higher, but still well below freezing. We will have a few extremely cold periods of a week or more throughout the winter. It’s not uncommon to hit -40 or worse (that’s before the windchill factor is included too).

As for snow days, I was never so lucky as to have school canceled due to snow. Sometimes rural bus services were interrupted but that’s about it. Last year we had a cold snap so bad the snow removal equipment wouldn’t run. But somehow people still get to work, school, etc.

I had a work colleague who moved here from Guyana. His first winter was interesting. Realizing he could die at a bus stop from exposure, he bought the finest parka he could. I was a kid when I moved here, so I was more excited about building snow forts and tobogganing and my parents handled the “omg what have we done” reality.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I am from Minnesota and used to go camping when it was -20 below.
Everything is so quiet.
View attachment 1040269
It's only crap like work, death, injury, cancer treatments and family circus that stops us. This was just before cancer sidelined one of these guys for a while. He's back at it.

The being where you can't hear any cars and holding 100-140 BPM heart rate for hours is fantastic. Winter just helps you live a pedal to floorboard type life.

fBYT2HF.jpg

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
I have had the pleasure of living in several wonderful spots in the West.
Montana had the coldest winters.
I remember walking to my job clerking in a convenience store two blocks from my apartment wearing 3 layers of clothes.
Most of them courtesy of the local Army Navy store (WWII German blanket wool pants, etc.).
Layer of permafrost formed on the streets under the snow starting in November and leaving in March.
Several weeks well below 0.
Riding my ancient 10-speed to class at the university over a rickety bridge 50 feet up over the wide and deep river at 7 a.m. to start my day working out in the fieldhouse with the football players because they had an actual SHOWER there and my "historic" apartment had a clawfoot bathtub.
With ice on the bridge floor and narrow racing bike tires.
But oh my, the summers were GRAND.
Six minutes of spring in June and then it was on.
Overnight temps in the 50s. Daytime highs in the 70s.
They say if you can take the winters, you deserve the summers.

Also lived west of Colorado Springs up in the mountains.
Huge snowstorms rolled in delivering feet of snow.
County no hablar snowplow.
Had a Toyota FJ40, so we got by.
One of my favorite photos shows my oldest boy hunting Easter eggs in his red Oshkosh snowsuit.

Now I live in the high desert area of Idaho.
Every once in a while we get a "bad winter" with snow you actually have to shovel.
Personally, I open the garage door, put the truck in 4, and back out and go.
But I clear the front walk and a path to the mailbox for the wife.

Yes, I still miss Montana. And Colorado. They're beautiful in all seasons.
But at 64 with neuropathy issues and balance issues courtesy of That Which We Dare Not Name, I'm good here.

Last edited:

Spox

Tele-Holic
I try to switch my heating off for four months every year to build up credit to burn in the winter, so much for that but hey.
I switched it off on what I think was the ninth of June and I am holding out as long as I can before switching it on again but
I am currently sitting with a hot water bottle on my lap as I type and climbed into my minus five rated sleeping bag when
going to bed at 2.30am last night, first time I have used it since pre summer.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I have had the pleasure of living in several wonderful spots in the West.
Montana had the coldest winters.
I remember walking to my job clerking in a convenience store two blocks from my apartment wearing 3 layers of clothes.
Most of them courtesy of the local Army Navy store (WWII German blanket wool pants, etc.).
Layer of permafrost formed on the streets under the snow starting in November and leaving in March.
Several weeks well below 0.
Riding my ancient 10-speed to class at the university over a rickety bridge 50 feet up over the wide and deep river at 7 a.m. to start my day working out in the fieldhouse with the football players because they had an actual SHOWER there and my "historic" apartment had a clawfoot bathtub.
With ice on the bridge floor and narrow racing bike tires.
But oh my, the summers were GRAND.
Six minutes of spring in June and then it was on.
Overnight temps in the 50s. Daytime highs in the 70s.
They say if you can take the winters, you deserve the summers.

Also lived west of Colorado Springs up in the mountains.
Huge snowstorms rolled in delivering feet of snow.
County no hablar snowplow.
Had a Toyota FJ40, so we got by.
One of my favorite photos shows my oldest boy hunting Easter eggs in his red Oshkosh snowsuit.

Now I live in the high desert area of Idaho.
Every once in a while we get a "bad winter" with snow you actually have to shovel.
Personally, I open the garage door, put the truck in 4, and back out and go.
But I clear the front walk and a path to the mailbox for the wife.

Yes, I still miss Montana. And Colorado. They're beautiful in all seasons.
But at 64 with neuropathy issues and balance issues courtesy of That Which We Dare Not Name, I'm good here.
AH! thank you for you post.
This sentence thaws the frozen depths of my heart made of that filthy soft coal according to the late Mrs. ping ping.
And thank you for mentioning, neuropathy issues and balance issues welcome to the club, I got mines from treatment for the big C and I will name it, Cancer.
I was just wiggling my toes as in Kill Bill, because they, my toes are numb and feel cold thanks to neuropathy as I started to read your post. good luck, that which can not be named. IT kicked my ass for two years, so you have my deepest sympathies. Are you beginning to feel human again? I hope so. At 74 the doctor told me I was very lucky that it didn't kill me. I joked and told him that I had always been told that I was tenacious , he didn't find my wise crack funny at all. After being so sick for so long and feeling like homemade pooh , requires a sense of humor... Herr Doctor!
try wool sox by the way , it won't really help but I've learned that ones suppose try to appear sympathetic when addressing the mortally ill, your suppose to give completely useless advice ,rather than saying better you than me even if it's what you're thinking at the moment , be well.

Snappy cat.jpg

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I live in an outdoor terrarium. 60s are normal, 85 is blistering heat, and 30s are cold. No suntan, no frostbite. Windy sometimes, or foggy.
Well of coarse you live way up there in the Boonies. People in the Boonies like were you tune your guitars don't get sun tans or frostbitten.
How's your playing coming along? I likck the images of you and your better half that you had included way back when.
Hey! look at me another month without being suspended! Pretty good huh? I had to cool it folks stopped buying the Snow boarding in Ammon line. But it is a lot more polite than inviting someone over to examine the cracks in the plaster in the ceiling over my bed for 10 or maybe even 15 minutes, yeah? No? :rolleyes:.
I'm feeling semi-life like again , my shrink is encouraging me to stop isolating, well she doesn't say that , she encourages me to go outside and I tell her that I walker to the store since the last time I met with her. I don't think she's buying that one. Isay maybe I'll go to an anarchist A.A. meeting at Gilman Street if they've started up again.
I like anarchists' A.A. meetings nobody is trying to be the alpha at them or they had better not because anarchist A.A. is not the place to run that tired pooh.
I think that therapy is working, I can't really say why , maybe it's because suicidal ideation , I love that phrase say iT, Sui-cid-al I-de-a-tion see how it just rolls of the tongue, It happens fewer and farther apart than before, But then Therapy hasn't cured my gallows humor. So any way, as they say in the old country,
"may the road rise with you."
pig pen.jpg

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I live in Michigan

I now haaaaate the Winter

All this talk about 75-90% probability of La Niña - great . 🥶❄️🥶❄️🥶❄️

I’m a loser baby,
So why don’tcha kill me… 💀

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I live in Michigan

I now haaaaate the Winter

All this talk about 75-90% probability of La Niña - great . 🥶❄️🥶❄️🥶❄️

I’m a loser baby,
So why don’tcha kill me… 💀
You said you are/were a board rider. You live in home of Shaggy's. Go north, get your new skis, go more - all the way - north when Boho is open. Season pass weekend is coming up - $99 or $109 for no blackouts. Some other MI lift tickets are included. It is hard to be annoyed by humanity and crowds near Lake Superior in winter.

rghill

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I currently live in the Phoenix metro area. A cold morning here is anything under 50 degrees. It almost never snows. If it did snow any significant amount, it would literally shut everything down for a population of 6 million people in Phoenix and Tucson.

I lived 120 miles north, and there a 12 inch snow is considered routine. The earliest I saw snow was September 30, and the latest was Memorial Day weekend. The mountain would have snow until July 4. When I lived there, we had a storm dump 30 inches in 24 hours and 3 feet for the single storm.

It always cracked me up how you could have two completely different seasonal zones so close together.