Let's talk about the best movie ever

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
T
Probably a picture 'bout a guy running around in skirts sans underwear, terrorizing small children and porch animals.
Wrong movie TD, those aren't small children, they're Munchkins and that's Glinda the good witch. Which come to think of it was a pretty good movie too.;)

1653322543851.png

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I saw it, and I liked it. My wife hated it. The only way I was able to like it was to think of it as being more like a play than a conventional movie. The dialogue and plot were just too over the top to feel "real". Once I accepted it as very contrived, high drama, like you would see on stage for Shakespeare, a Greek tragedy, or an opera, then I was OK with it.

In general we expect movies and their characters to feel more "real", emotionally, even if they are Avengers movies. The Northman was in contrast super melodramatic and mythical, with the actors playing archetypes rather than realistic characters. More like a classic Ingmar Bergman movie such as The Seventh Seal.

The other thing is most Americans like Hollywood characters and Hollywood endings. The good guys are the good guys. The bad guys are the bad guys. The good guy wins in the end. This doesn't follow that at all. The good guy is just as bad as the bad guy, and there ain't no happy ending.

I do appreciate that they consulted with experts on Viking culture and tried to depict it as accurately as possible. It makes you happy to live in modern times....

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
I thought this would be about The Blues Brothers. But I'll have to go watch this and see if it makes the short lis.

The Blues Brothers
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Blade Runner
honorable mentions:
Where Eagles Dare
Kelly's Heroes
Ronin

1653322878334.png

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
This is jaded by memories of my father who died too young. I never forget going to the theater for the Pink Panther movies and his laughing like we never really knew him otherwise. I think it was Return Of The Pink Panther with the pool scene and for that one he about fell out of his chair.

I realize it's not likely an all time best movie in most people's minds but for me it's always a reminder of happiness we never got enough of when I grew up. It was a best something when a tension filled household could have a health escape from it.