Let's talk about killer tremolos

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ASATKat, Feb 12, 2019.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I went on a trem pedal journey a while back and what’s ended up closest to the sound in my head was a newer boss tr-2. The ones post 2007 have a small trim pot inside for volume and come factory set with a small boost to compensate for the perceived volume loss. It’s simple and no frills but man does it sound great.

I also have the source audio true spring but I just use that for reverb. The trems on that do sound super cool though.

ac15 and Random1643 like this.
  2. santiago53

santiago53 TDPRI Member

I love the Valcoder.

Random1643 likes this.
  3. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

I adored mine _except_ for the terrible depth control. It sounded sooooo good, but I really wanted finer control on the depth in the first "hour" or two of the knob. If I could have had the first 1/3rd or even 1/2 of the depth knob sweep cover the range of the knob, it would be have a keeper for me.

4. Flooding Rivers

Flooding Rivers TDPRI Member

I really like my Earthquaker Devices Night Wire. Really good basic tremolo sound, has a mode where you can control the speed of the tremolo with picking dynamics which is kinda cool, and it also has a filter incorporated into the pedal which can be used fixed, envelope-controlled or swept via an LFO. So basically you get a tremolo, envelope filter and phaser all in one little pedal!

Plus it's purple and sparkly.

5. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Tremolo pedals I've owned:
    -Boss TR-2, twice
    -Fulltone Supa Trem ST-1, twice
    -Mr Black Deluxe Plus
    -Mojo Hand Fx Bayou
    -Strymon Flint

The Boss cant be beat for the money. The Fulltone sounds MOST like the trem on my '66 Super Reverb. I loved the bias trem on the Mr Black but hated the Reverb, but that's when I fell in love with bias tremolo. The Bayou is darn good at that too. But the Flint beats them all. Both the bias and harmonic are incredible. The opto, he, but that's my least favorite of the 3. I usually leave it on bias. I DO want to get a favorite switch/TRS cable, and set the favorite for a wider, boosted harmonic trem.

ac15 and rjtwangs like this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Still searching for my stereo tremolo. I currently have a Shapeshifter on my board, but the lack of a volume boost is doubly bad in stereo... still looking...

E3A11FAC-D04F-44AE-92AE-A76A8CF5A2DE.jpeg

7. jomazq

jomazq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My new no.1

The harmonic tremolo on this is so sweet like candy.

And the normal tremolo circuit is great. It has a good usable sweep on the depth and speed. Not Earth shattering, I just like it.

The gain stage and clipping this thing has going for it almost makes me think I can be a 1 pedal guy.

It's just the bee's knees.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  8. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I use the tr2 as well and am pretty happy with it, though I have considered getting a Flint because it would replace my reverb and trem in one pedal. As I am happy with my pedal setup though, it’s a bit of a frivolous purchase.

9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I’ve always heard good things about that pedal. Does the speed go down real slow? I need to listen to the demo again.

10. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Keep in mind if you choose the Flint (I have no affiliation,) you get three reverb sound choices and three tremolo choices. The '80s settings can be a revelation. It's a fun pedal to mess around with.

Unknown.jpeg

rjtwangs likes this.
  11. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

12. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

That’s an impressive array of trem pedals. I had the Stonedeaf Tremotron. It was fantastic. It was a bit more trem than I needed though.

mgreene likes this.
  13. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Sometimes you feel like a nut - sometimes you act on it. :D

14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

i have a few tremolo pedals, always liked that sound on Creedence records. Started with a Dano Cool Cat, sounded ok for what I needed, but I'm a tinkerer so I built an EA Tremolo. Cool too, but you know how pedals are...
    Got a Biyang ToneFancier last year for cheap, and I figured I was good on tremolo until Zeppelin Design Labs came out with their Quaverato harmonic tremolo and I just had to build it. Glad I did!

Quaverato3.jpg

They sell a fully built one but after making the little Percolator tube amp from them I grabbed the DIY version. I'm still playing around with it a couple weeks after I boxed it. Way cool tremolo, I've never heard some of those sound before.

Of course, now that Ive seen Uncle Doug build a DeArmond I may just have to try:D

Paul in Colorado, mgreene and RLee77 like this.
  15. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I had no idea they sold kits - It would be cool to play around with component values.

zippofan likes this.
  16. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I had a strange experience this weekend. I had noticed before that the tremotron sounded different with different power supplies.

This WE as I was resetting my board, I plugged the tremotron into a 400ma supply by it self - woah - it became almost twice a loud. Where I had the volume all the way up to get unity before, I had to turn it down to 12:00 when powered by itself.

It got me to thinking about building a power supply - it doesnt sound like it would be hard but I have never seen a schematic for a isolated high-end pedal PS.

17. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Wait til you see how tweakable it is:

Quav_gut_shot.jpg
    Digital control of the analog circuit, the DIP switches control the high and low pass filter frequencies. The two pots by the switches control level of high and low being blended back together.

The build instructions are impeccable, and the parts quality is good, I wasn't tempted to sub anything out from my stash, well except maybe the green chicklets but that's just being parts snobby ;-)

It is a fun build!

mgreene likes this.
  18. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I came this close to building a CD player once - I managed to pull back from the brink when I saw how much programming might be necessary on the controller chip :rolleyes:

zippofan likes this.
  19. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Don’t forget about the Red Witch. That’s one bad ass trem. They can be had cheap on the used market. Should have held onto mine.

20. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I built most of my stereo system from Hafler kits. The tuner IF was an interesting exercise, but I have a frequency counter. Didn't build the CD player but I modded the heck out of the analog section (Marantz CD43). That was all BK - before kids :D even built the surround speakers with Focal and Peerless parts.

Now that they're grown up I'm building pedals and a couple amps!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.