Let's talk about killer tremolos

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ASATKat, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

Wow. Seriously. I wish it were stereo vibrato.

2. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Does the Tremulus Luna do harmonic trem?

3. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Is that some kind of phasing sound? It doesn't have that feature, but with its controls there are many options possible and it's relatively easy to make.This is mine - 6 years in use now.
    602786_148112805349422_193042454_n.jpg 602698_148112745349428_42180463_n.jpg 486609_148112775349425_1811558304_n.jpg

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I must not be that picky about trem, because I was perfectly content using a Dano Tuna Melt for the longest time.

I got the Joyo (JF-09) trem a few years back, and that's fine, too. It doesn't have the hard/soft switch that the Tuna Melt does, but it's not really a deal breaker, IMO.

I also built an Improved EA Tremolo probably at least five years ago, and it has a nice preamp that makes it easy to get the level where you need it to be. I added a second footswitch to control two different rate settings, and that added a ton of flexibility, all in a compact enclosure, with just four knobs.

...I've primarily owned a bunch of different BF/SF Fenders with trem, and the above trem pedals have been on par with them, IMO. I also rebuilt a mid-60's Gibson Falcon GA-19RVT for my cousin maybe three years ago, and it had nice trem, but it wasn't considerably better than my trem pedals either, IMO.

Piotr likes this.
  5. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I am currently using a Flint. Others I have used that I like are: Mr Black Deluxe Plus , Catalinbread Paradolia & Voodoo Labs Tremolo. I did not like the Catalinbread Valcoder. My favorite was my 63 Vibroverb RI from the early 90's.

6. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Where does a guy get the schematics or link to a thread?

7. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

best blackface-style trem in my book is the Demeter Tremulator -- just sounds natural, two knobs, a slight gain boost which most trems seems to need. lately, though, it's the Flint for me. two birds with one stone, and the harmonic trem is hypnotizing.

honorable mention: VooDoo 4-knob and a Schaller that somebody brought back from Germany.

8. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

There's a vero kit you can buy here, the link to the circuit is in the kit page, but it's here if you want a look.

N.B. The pots lug labels are the wrong way round. Swap the connections to lugs 1 & 3. I also moved the 27K resister from the pot lugs to the board.

9. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Thanks - I have built all kinds of stuff but I never built a pedal. I love the swamp thing, the VTE and the Mr Black, but I have a ridiculous number of tremolos already so I hate to buy something else - but make it - maybe I will.

I plan to make a post this weekend - to that point :twisted:

10. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Hearing how many trems some folks have... you know how some like to cascade drive pedals for a little extra mojo? Well I think someone needs to cascade around 4 trem pedals, and we need to hear that... :D

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  11. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Here's the first standalone video for the Fender Tre-Verb. I'm not a big Fender pedal guy, though I do love, LOVE Fender guitars. I'll be getting this when it drops in a month (it's gonna be a long month).

dswo and Random1643 like this.
  12. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Have you seen this one? I like the envelope effect, where the tremolo speeds up or slows down based on how hard you hit.

I also enjoyed the harmonic tremolo + delay tone he gets at 6:35.

13. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Well I guess I can't talk about this one...
    According to the store I bought mine from it was the last retail model existing in Canada. Who knows how true that is.

14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Mine does everything I want and nothing I don't want:

Demeter Tremulator

It started as a one-off for Ry Cooder and worked so well that Demeter started selling them.

Just clean, uncolored trem. For other effects, I have other pedals.

I'd love to try a DeArmond 601, though - the first-ever guitar effects pedal. If it was good enough for Pops Staples . . . .

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Paul in Colorado likes this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Have you seen this?

zippofan, mgreene and rjtwangs like this.
  16. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

My swampy tube tremolo unfortunately comes with a rather large amp.

Mine is part of my Supro Tremolectric and the tremolo is thick as the Louisiana bayou!

Paul in Colorado and Random1643 like this.
  17. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

It sounds good, but I think Fender is smoking something setting a price point of $270. I mean, its less than the Flint and while obviously trying to get some of that market, I don't see it doing it at only a 10% lower price point. I just don't see the quality and engineering being there like with the Strymon stuff...I give this pedal 6 months before it starts getting cleared out...

Piotr and rjtwangs like this.
  18. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You must have been reading my mind!!! All I could think of was, is this doing ANYTHING better or equal to my Flint?, and I also thought it's only 30 bucks less than a Flint, and you KNOW that customer service will be almost nonexistent, especially when considering Strymon's wonderful customer service. I might buy one when they're 60% off, until then....

RJ

Larmo63 likes this.
  19. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

The Caroline Guitar Company Parabola is based on a Schaller trem circuit, and is pretty fantastic:

https://carolineguitar.com/product/tremelo/

It's all discrete components, with a transistor based LFO circuit, so it has a wonderful organic quality to the tremolo effect - it's not as precise or "clinical" as an IC driven trem like a TR-2 (and precise or clinical is not a bad thing, just drawing the comparison), so it has this bubbly, undulating quality.

The filtered modulation mode is awesome - I don't know quite how to describe it, except that the trem sits underneath your pick attack; instead of you playing into a wall of oscillating volume changes, it feels like it is sitting behind or beneath your playing. It can be used as a very cool always on effect in this mode to add some real subtle movement to your tone.

And then you get an overdrive thrown in for good measure, that lets you dirty up the trem as you see fit.

Random1643 likes this.
  20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Kewl!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.