Let's Talk About Envelope Filters

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Stanford Guitar, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Nobody ever wants to talk about envelope filters.....

Whaddaya got and whaddaya like?

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Never owned one.
    Never played one.
    Wow - like reverb & dirt, how to avoid over-use?
    Asking for a friend.
    Peace - Deeve

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  3. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Been meaning to get a QTron for months, but not sure if I’d just get bored after an afternoon.

Someone change my mind please.

4. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve got:

ehx q-tron

Boss aw-3

A funky box. (Tube driven envelope filter)

boss ft-2

first one was the ft2. I bought it new in approximately 1989 because I wanted a wah pedal and I think the ones they had were too expensive. It was years before I knew how to use it properly. I loved it though. I fluked it.

it is probably my go to effect. I listen to podcast and watch video after video about fuzz pedals and their characters and hear very little about the far more varied, far more insane and far more versatile envelope filter.

would people like pics of mine?

northernguitar likes this.
  5. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

You never get the same sound out of a qtr on twice. For that alone it’s worth the price of admission.

6. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

I have a blue box microtron iii

it’s great but doesn’t trigger well with low output pickups so i need a boost when i play it

7. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm a Jerry Garcia fan and have usually kept one or two around because of that. Though it has to be said that he overused his by a lot.

I never got into seriously boutique filters, but the closest I ever found to a real mu-tron was the Q-tron+ and, surprisingly, a 4-knob Valeton unit that cost $50 new. That thing was seriously great.

The last discrete one I had was a Keeley Neutrino, which I found really easy to live with. Less flexible than the others but it did the thing I wanted without any fussing.

Lately I've just used modeled FX for everything, which is frequently just comp and 'verb. No, the mu-tron models aren't as good. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Old Plank and Junco Partner like this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've been enjoying the Xvive Singing AutoWah in small doses.

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

This is the guy on my board. Josh Wah by Josh Broughton. Love it.

upload_2021-3-14_18-50-53.png

Also if you are ok with midi pedals the Source Spectrum is awesome OR the Source C4 has the full functionality of the Spectrum built in.

10. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

they can do some wacky stuff before fuzz pedals, sort of like how synth waveshapers have vcas on the inputs before the clipping.

they can also be good for subtle percussive stuff where it's not extremely apparent that it's a wah, but some timbral stuff is changing.

i always thought it was funny that in synth land, the filter topology of the synth is like the thing, but in guitar pedals you just always get some phoned in OTA datasheet 12db/oct filter.

it's a shame the moog stuff fell flat. if i were going to build one for myself for guitar, i'd probably build an ms-20 filter or a wasp filter and leave it relatively fixed with the resonance jacked for a "slightly moving cocked wah" sound.

11. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I've had a borrowed CryBaby for over twenty years (somehow I don't think the owner will ever ask for it back at this point, but if he does it's his). But while it's fun to have, I don't use it that much. And it's a big heavy thing to carry around just in case I get the whim to step on it.

So two years ago I got a $24 Donner Dynamic Wah. At it's mini size and maybe 4 ounce weight, it was easy to add to my effects board. With nothing to compare it to, I was impressed. There were a lot more sounds in that little box than just whackawhacka rhythms and faux Jerry Garcia. While the Donner was cool, especially at it's price, I stepped up to a Love Pedal Rubber Chicken when they were on sale for $50. And found even more uses for the Rubber Chicken. While you can surely go for extreme sounds, there are actually some very subtle uses for it. I brought it out to a local blues jam (pre-covid of course) and had several people checking my pedals for how I was getting the rhythm sounds (using for a lead was obvious).

Since then, I've had fun listening to demos of other envelope effects but haven't gotten around to any more purchases. But I find it very cool all the different flavors and applications that are available.

The one thing I'd like in addition to what the Rubber Chicken does is to be able to run the dry signal in parallel. Whenever my gigging starts up again, it will at least start out as mostly acoustic-based - either solo or with a trio. Both the Donner and the Rubber Chicken have such distinct sounds that switching them on when using an acoustic guitar is very drastic. It's fun to do; don't get me wrong. But I think if I could run things at about 75% dry/25% envelope filter I'd use it a lot more in those settings. I think there are some envelope filters that have this feature, or I would need some sort of variable looping pedal (like a BOSS LS-2) to make that happen.

12. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I've got a Boss AW3. It's great for the purpose for which I use it, which is instead of wah wah for funky rhythm stuff. I can't work the wah pedal while I'm singing. Too many things to do at once for me.

If I used it more often, or for leads, I'd probably get some version of the Q Tron or Micro Tron IV, which is theoretically identical to the old Mu-Tron III.

13. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

Never had one. Always thought as a good funk tool... So I'll watch

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I bought a cheap DOD Envelope Filter last Summer (DOD was running a special on a few pedals), but just for a few weeks.

We play some Dead and funky stuff in one of my groups, so I thought I might like it.

It worked fine,
    but I unloaded it ( on CL for just a little less $$) as I like to stick to a small pedalboard, and could not justify another pedal for just a few songs.
    It was definitely an impulse buy, curiosity thing.

15. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

EHX Q-Tron. Had it for years, never liked what I could get out of it. Sold it to lead player in our band, he uses it and we're both happy with the results.

16. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

I've got two. Boss AW-3, which is very flexible and modern, and an old MXR Envelope Filter, which is very organic and responsive. It's my favorite.

17. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

VFE Mini Mu, like it and its a beast to get it to repeat the same sound...but there is a wide variety of tones. Use low out put single coils and its hard to get it to trigger but using a VFE compressor and a volume pedal.

18. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been using the Digitech Synth Wah for years. It does regular Envelope stuff but a whole lot more like monophonic Moog synth sounds.

regularslinky likes this.
  19. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I've got a pedal with multiple modulation effects. I've had it for a long time but never really gave it a fair shot. I just sat down with it the other day to really try to learn how to set it properly. I figured out some nice setting for chorus flanger and reverb. When I got to the envelope filter I just gave up and moved on to the next effect. I will give that video a try.

20. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Have owned:

Boss AW3 (stolen by a bassist. Literally stolen.)
    Guyatone wah rocker

Own: Line 6 Otto Filter. Works with strats and sounds funky.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.