Let's talk about Classic cartoon series and what you hate about them.

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
I hate all cartoons, comic books, and tv in general. The lowest point of my life I was so bored I found myself watching quantum leap re-runs on the rabbit ears. I will take my own life before that day comes again. TV=for people with nothing better to do. There is always something better to do. Certainly I've offended someone but your time is yours to waste on what you like and mine on mine. Get serious about your guitar, about gear, about going to the beach or a music event or making new friends. Exercise. Drink a few beers on the porch. Raise chickens. Spend time in prayer. Smoke a brisket. Spend time on TDPRI. I always have better things to do. I can't handle passive activities.
Thanks for stopping by!

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Sorry, but Looney Tunes is the gold standard.

VRIeTDM.png
THIS ^^^^
Hanna Barbera was the B stock.
But I will take Rocky and Bullwinkle!

kylejf90

Tele-Meister
Just a warning that my opinion is colored by being on the younger end of the demographic here...
I grew up in the 90s when these cartoons were relegated to Boomerang, or treated as a way to fill a mid-day time slot. Since I watched them alongside Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken, Batman The Animated Series, or the anime that came to prominence in the late 90s, they felt outdated from a storytelling perspective and especially an animation perspective. They seemed kind of mindless. I liked Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry quite a bit, but I just don't have the fondness for most of them. They were and always will be there, but were never my go-to as a kid, regardless of how iconic they are.

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
Just a warning that my opinion is colored by being on the younger end of the demographic here...
I grew up in the 90s when these cartoons were relegated to Boomerang, or treated as a way to fill a mid-day time slot. Since I watched them alongside Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken, Batman The Animated Series, or the anime that came to prominence in the late 90s, they felt outdated from a storytelling perspective and especially an animation perspective. They seemed kind of mindless. I liked Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry quite a bit, but I just don't have the fondness for most of them. They were and always will be there, but were never my go-to as a kid, regardless of how iconic they are.
I fall between you and folks who caught these in their first run and I feel similarly about these cartoons. I watched them because they were there.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's

i grew up on syndicated stuff too, and in the golden era of nickelodeon, batman, genndy tartakovsky, and 90s anime. looney tunes holds up against them. the hanna barbera stuff does not. and the WB stuff in that era aside from batman or pinky and the brain (pushing it) was pretty schlocky as well.

Last edited:

Masmus

Tele-Holic
I think it's almost like saying The original Star Wars is no good because the cgi sucks. Also no disrespect to you Blazer but the early HB cartoons were for a generation before you and Bugs Bunny was a generation before that. Styles change and cultural jokes change, laugh tracks were common back then especially on live action shows with no studio audience, it would of been weird to not have it when it was originally released. The main difference between HB and WB were WB was made for movie theaters and HB was made for tv.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
"Space Angel, 1962-1964, is not remembered for excellence in animation. In fact, it's amazing how little animation actually went into it. Its one outstanding technique was Synchro-Vox, in which actual human lips were superimposed on still drawings to simulate speech."

spaceangel-281x300.jpg
1642112972760.jpeg

Space%2BAngel%2B%252817%2529%2Bcopy.jpg

Mojojonesing

TDPRI Member
Rocky: "What can you do with a girl's softball team?"

Pause . . .

Bullwinkle: "This really is a kid's show"

<Edit> Don't hate it - misread OP

View attachment 939809
Finally, someone who appreciates the good stuff. I watched Rocky and Bullwinkle as a five-year-old and even though a lot of it went over my head I learned a lot from the cultural references which only fell into place for me years later. Clearly, the work of beatnik intellectuals and I dug on a straight-up kid level too! The humor engaged my little brain in the best of ways!

urbandefault

Tele-Holic
You appreciate the cartoons more when you learn about the people behind the voices.

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Where's Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy?
Yah! And where's Wally Gator? Touche Turtle? Lippy The Lion and Hardee Har Har?

Peter Potamus?

Ruff 'n' Reddy?

If you really want the bottom of the cartoon barrel, go looking for Terrytoons...

Or Total Television's "King Leonardo and his Short Subjects" (even so, some quotes would live on. In my family, we often used the phrase "Help me Mr. Wizard!", which is from the Tooter Turtle segments).

Last edited: