Let's stop that PRRI and DRRI nonsense. Who plays an Orange?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Les Paul lover, Jan 4, 2018.

1. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lots of those PPC cabs used on GC's website for $250'ish.

I ended up buying a used Egnater 1x12 for $125 and have been happy with it. It's a little beat up, but it's a gigging cab anyway.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  2. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I used to have a DSL40 combo. Fun amp, though the original speaker was really poor, but through a Celestion G12T75 or V30, it sounded both very different and and fantastic rock amp. Great tight, biting tones in there.

Obviously, with a DSL15 head, the speaker isn't an issue.

3. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

@Les Paul lover
    @-Hawk-
    I once tried two amp heads through a PPC 1x12, and I must say they are nice sounding cabs.

4. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

We need more threads like this one.

I recently got a Fender Bassbreaker 1X12 cab with a Celestion V speaker. This thread has inspired me to check out some Orange heads to go with it.

5. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

I really dig pretty much every Orange amp I have played through... including the Solid State CR60 and CR120. Those two solid state amps really kick butt. I would love to try gigging a CR-120, I love everything about that amp.

6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

PRRI is on the chopping block. I tried out a Rocker 15 yesterday. Now I'm debating between that or an OR15 with a PPC112C. Decisions decisions...

7. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

the whole crush pro series, the Jim Root terror, and the or15 are based on the rockerverb. So if you guys dig those amps, check out the rv for big watt versions and same ballpark tones. I wish I still had mine.

8. LinusNYC

LinusNYC TDPRI Member

‘72 OR120 “Pics Only” with a ‘73 (greenbacks) and ‘77 (blackbacks) cab.

Attached Files:

9. Kimbarafuzz

Kimbarafuzz TDPRI Member

IMG_0833.JPG

Bedroom corner, i play both but always orange ..

Les Paul lover likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I've been going and practicing in a rehearsal space over where I take lessons more and more, and I've started going over there with a couple co-workers (a drummer and another guitarist).

We're playing louder than when I go alone, they have Orange Crush 35RTs in the room and man... they start sounding a LOT better as the volume goes up. Lots of fun. They are seriously good once the volume gets up to the right level.

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a ton of Fender amps, and they are my go to. I bought a Tiny Terror recently. My buddy used to rave about his so....We'll see when it gets here.

12. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Retubed my rocker 30. Man, to think just a week ago I was trying to sell it. I would have been kicking myself today. The dirty channel has such an awesome range of tones and is very very dynamic and responsive. Now just trying to scrounge up some change for an extension cab for it to sit on for some 2x12 thump.

Les Paul lover and hrstrat57 like this.
  13. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Since I've got the Green Russian standing by - it's a bit like putting the cart before the horse. Now, to narrow the Orange amp choices!
    o_O

14. Les Paul lover

It's quite common for people to think they have fallen out of love with their amp when the valves (usually power valves) are simply worn out .

The wear is totally gradual and doesn't get noticed much unless they blow out or get microphonic.

Glad you revealed it - I love my R30.

TimothyC likes this.
  15. Les Paul lover

Did you get it yet?

I'll be honest , the TT is the Orange amp that has impressed me the least. But if you like a good rock/hard rock crunch, it might but right up your alley.

16. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I really dig my micro dark. I instantly bonded with it when I first plugged it in. I have a peavey mh20 that I think I’m trying to make sound like the micro dark. Maybe I should sell it and get a rocker 15 terror in short order.

Tele into micro dark is quite nice and it’s not as dark as the name suggest, nor is it at as metally as you might thing. Cleans with character to grinding crunch. I don’t mess with the jugga jugga tones much

17. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

Had a rocker 30, wish I still had it.

18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, I got it. Not impressed. It could be good but has no bottom end really. All mids. I'm gonna mess with it with an EQ pedal when I get a chance, but it's already on CL. $295 :>)

19. Les Paul lover

At 15w, the low end is limited indeed.
    You'd be surprised in a band setting though, you may find it cuts through and fits in very well. Anyway..... I did the same. Sold mine shortly after buying it, it didn't compare very well to my AD15. Same low end really, but the AD15 is much smoother and detailed, less gain, but great old school amp.

asnarski and TimothyC like this.
  20. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Thunderverb 50 has been my favorite gear purchase in a while. What a deliciously fuzzy vintage sounding amp. I don't know how the amp got a metal amp reputation, just about any modern amp will push out far more gain than this teddy bear. Perfect for my needs. This one is gonna be around for a long time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.