Let's stop that PRRI and DRRI nonsense. Who plays an Orange?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Les Paul lover, Jan 4, 2018.

1. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

When I did research on my older rocker 30, from what I understood was that the natural channel bypasses most of the preamp section, or that it used half of one of the preamp tubes. Something like that, I forget which one but aside from the difference in output the circuit should be the same as the old rocker 30. I know there are schematics for that amp.

Les Paul lover likes this.
  2. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Orange???

3. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Dual Terror here....

So good it is ridiculous and built like an absolute tank.

I did put a vintage Bugle Boy 12ax7 in v1 (tiny terror channel) and a vintage Phillips 12at7 in V3 (fat channel) Running Tung Sol RI in the other preamp slots and JJ for the 4 EL84's

Been playing for decades, played everything amp wise and this is a absolute beast!

4. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Tele-Meister

I have an AD 15! I may not be using it to its full potential or true strength however?

I set it for a clean to verge of break up clean, and play it in a two amp set up with a Goodsell super 17, or Vintage 15, set more clean, and use pedals for gain. 80% of the basic tone is fairly clean to edge of break up.

If I played with higher gain, I'd set up the AD15 to slight break up to light gain and then hit it with pedals for hi gain.

How do you guys dial in your AD15's?

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have an Orange Custom Shop AD50 hand wired head. Traded a guy my Victoria for it. Through an open-backed 2x12 it sounds really amazing. Was also able to let go of my Marshall once I got this one.

upload_2018-1-4_15-53-27.png upload_2018-1-4_15-53-27.png

Les Paul lover and telemnemonics like this.
  6. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Search either YouTube or the orange amp forum.

7. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Rocker 15 here.
    Love this beast.
    Put my Swart in the closet

8. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Was jamming my 35RT today during the snowstorm. I'd love to get my hands on a Orange Rocker 15 or 30.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I understand that there are schematics for Orange amps. It is also well known that Orange keeps those schematics close to their vest. The techs to whom Orange will disclose those schematics must be ‘under the thumb’ of Orange. Those techs do not disclose those schematics to the public in order to maintain their ability to get that type of information from Orange, I would suppose....and that is understandable. Here is a thread that is representative of what one usually finds when looking for the schematics for newer Oranges....
    https://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41833

There are some schematics at EL34 World for a number of Orange amps, but the Rocker 30 is not there. As I noted, I don’t have a lot of experience with Orange amps, but I did run into this problem when working on a more modern Orange. I really liked that amp when it was done....but the lack of availability of schematics is a problem, imho.

10. Boubou

IMG_3640.JPG

RoyBGood and Les Paul lover like this.
  11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I joined the Orange forum a while ago.

The Rocker 15/32 are still so new no one has even needed to change tubes in them apparently.

My understanding is the Rockers are much more related to the Tiny Terror circuits than the OR15 or the old Rocker 30.

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a DRRI and some other little Fender ditties, should I sell the DR and get an Orange?

I rather have both.

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Here is an interesting

It is interesting how many Fender amps are sitting in these cuts, isn't it?

14. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

I am sincerely pleased that a lot of people love their Orange, but I could not bond with my AD30 for 2 reasons:

- Too direct sounding. Real quality cleans, but sounded like plugging straight into a mixer. Fast attack, too 'in your face'. The opposite of that deep Hank Marvin, spaghetti-Western twang.

- Very uninspired when cranked. Outstanding Brit-pop crunch at bedroom volume, but it never gained any personality when dimed. The preamp section seemed designed more like a really nice boutique OD pedal, and going out to a loud yet sterile monitor.

That's just me. I'm just more a Pete Anderson and Keef wannabe, so it didn't suit me. AC15 for me, all day long. As far as I know, I'm the only person who's had anything bad to say about Orange so it's possible this amp just didn't share the same DNA as the rest of the line. I haven't played a lot of other models, but enough folks have praised this brand that I can't argue. My mileage just indeed varied.

15. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I had a Crush 35rt for a while. I liked the clean tones and crunch, but I really like light break-up tones and the SS Crush just couldn’t do it, very raspy. So I sold it. I’d love to try a Rocker, or, even better, Rockerverb.

16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Markal, I think if I had a Crush 35rt like that my strategy would be to have a clean tone, achieve my desired slightly dirty tone using a carefully selected dirt pedal, and then a crunch tone,
    either the amp's or enhanced by a pedal or two.

I think a lot of people don't really appreciate how often even famous, iconic tube amps like Marshalls were actually frequently goosed with overdrive, distortion, or fuzz pedals.

I had a fantastic early JCM800 that had amazing hard rock tones, but guess what? With the right pedals in front of it, it sounded even better! And that's with the master pretty wide open, too,
    not choked back at all.

In other words, if a player is looking for a tube amp to produce perfect clean, slightly dirty, crunchy, and glorious lead tones all on its own then usually they
    will be disappointed somewhere within that spectrum of gain. Or perhaps if they get a multiple channel Boogie or a Dumble or something like that they
    can achieve this nirvana of every tone they ever wanted in one box (at great expense and after endless searching).

But the way most players do it is get an amp that has one or two tones they really, really
    like, and then enhance and broaden the foundational tone palette with a few complementary pedals. David Gilmour is a great example of that.....

blackjaw likes this.
  17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

What is this Orange you speak of? California or Florida?

18. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Owned quite a few Orange amps ranging from an AD5 to a Rockerverb MK2 50 watt.

My favorite was a Rocker 30 Combo that I never should have sold.

No Oranges currently but always looking for a good deal on an OR15.

Les Paul lover and telemnemonics like this.
  19. Boubou

If by sterile you mean lifeless, that's quite wrong. The natural channel sounds amazing by itself, yes it only has one knob, volume. But it does NOT NEED anything else.
    Half the time I play the natural channel,with no pedals, nothing and love it.
    But if you want to add something like a Green Russian it sounds amazing, actually pretty close to the dirty channel at high gain.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I bought an AD30 in 2002 and an OR15 in 2016.
    They are very different sounding amps to my ear, and I find the OR15 more to my liking as well as more versatile.
    But a LP into the AD30 is just a great sound, maybe more classic where the OR is more modern. At that time it was a pretty killer amp and quite a few players I knew were trading in their Marshalls for this little 30w Orange.
    (I paid $1100 for the AD back then and only $400 for the OR)
    I believe the AD30 design is more strongly influenced by the Vox AC15 & 30, where the later Oranges are more their own designs.
    And the vintage Orange amps are a whole 'nother set of circuits, AFAIK when the AD30 came out, players of classic Orange amps did not hear a familiar Orange sound there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.