1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Let's start #15

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, May 17, 2015.

1. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Great work Roger!

RogerC likes this.
  2. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

I knew you'd get there , it looks great Roger ;)

RogerC likes this.
  3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, everyone.

While waiting for the drop fills to cure, I decided to go ahead and get the neck completed. Basically all that was left was the fret work.

Standard procedure:

1. Tape off the board

[​IMG]

2. Mark with sharpie and level with a beam

[​IMG]

3. Use a shorter beam to mill the fall-away from 13th to 21st frets

[​IMG]

4. Crown

[​IMG]

5. Then buff with 1000 grit to get rid of the last of the crowning marks and then with 0000 steel wool.

[​IMG]

I was originally hoping to get this thing assembled by the end of the weekend, but I had to do another round of drop filling today, so now I'm another couple days away from wet sanding again.

lbridenstine likes this.
  4. RogerC

Ok, I'm crying uncle. It seems like the more I work with this guitar, the worse it gets. I'm at my wits' end trying to get a satisfactory finish, and I've invested waaaaay too much time with it. This build has been going on for almost a year now.

I'm going to strip the finish, re-dye the body, seal with vinyl sealer, and take it to my auto guy to shoot the clear. It'll be worth the cost just to have it out of my life at this point.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Sure do love that cobalt blue. Have ever since I dug up some old bottles under the house when I was a kid...

Sorry it's kickin yer butt, Rog. Let us know what the car guy charges to shoot that clear!

Oh, and that CA wood finish is interesting! I've used CA for jobs like that before, but the water-thin stuff cures too dang fast, so I'm interested in the stuff you got. I wonder if it can be found in Japan.

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sometimes the bear just gets you! Sorry it got you on this one, Rog, I think everybody was pullin for that beautiful blue baby to come together for you. Well, anyway, you'll still end up with the beautiful blue baby.

7. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Rog,
    Sounds like a solid plan. Don't get down on yourself, you're doing the right thing. There are some guitars, cars and relationships that go squirrelly and you just have to let them go. Onward and upward.
    Rob

8. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Come on Rog, I'm two years into finishing my 2014 challenge build. Don't give up yet! If you do a decent job sealing it, I don't see why, if you put enough clear on and sand carefully, you can't do this yourself with no further issues.

I mean, even I sometimes complete a build and finish totally by myself!

9. RogerC

Thanks, Rod. It should be about $300 for the clear. At first I was going to have him shoot color coats, but it would've required more time/materials. He's a friend of mine and would've given me a good deal, but I didn't want him to have to put more work in than was necessary.

It's just a high quality medium viscosity CA. I'm sure you can find it over there.

Thanks, Rick. Yeah. It's all a by-product of this being my first lacquer finish, and I was just shooting too high for my first effort. Then it started steamrolling into a monster.

Amen, Rob. Amen.

You know what they say about the definition of insanity, right? :D

Nah, I really need this one done, and I've spent a year trying to do it myself. The issue is that I keep chasing problems, and that creates more problems.

10. Jupiter

That's why I can't see myself ever making guitars on commission: everything I've built so far has something about it that would prevent me from being able to hand it over... :-/

11. RogerC

And so we started here yesterday:

[​IMG]

In the lacquer thinner bath, scrape with a putty knife and scrub with steel wool, and we ended up here.

[​IMG]

Then sanding with 220 grit gets us to here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's where I left off last night. Then I had something to do first thing this morning:

[​IMG]

I ran my first official 5k today. My wife has been a runner for several years, and I used to hate it. Well, I started running in November because I needed to lose some weight. For the new year, my goals were to be able to finish a run and not feel like I'm dying, and to run a 5k. I got so into it that I hit those goals by February. I run about 13 miles a week now but today was my first official race. I was hoping to finish in under 30 minutes, but I made it in 30:35, which isn't bad considering I've only been running for just over 5 months now. This is what I looked like at the end, though:

[​IMG]

As we made the final turn toward the finish line, my wife took off. I didn't think I had enough left in the tank to catch her, but I saw a random stranger coming up over my left shoulder. I thought "Awww hell no!", and I took off at a full sprint toward the finish. I think I beat her (the random stranger), but I was paying for it :D.

Anyway, after all that was done, I got home and started applying heavy coats of Transtint blue with a little black mixed in. This is where things ended tonight.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    cornfed, Blue Bill, CraigB and 3 others like this.
  12. Jupiter

Way to go, man!

RogerC likes this.
  13. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I feel your pain.

Not about running. Sod that. I'm way too lazy for that.

It's just clear coats. I believe in you! My issues are almost always with trans colour coats, not clear coats. I just keep bunging them on until there is hopefully enough on there....

RogerC likes this.
  14. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

nice lil plot o grass ya found there :)

oh... I still love this guitar and want it... what's taking? ;)

ps... I was the random stranger in drag.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    R. Stratenstein and RogerC like this.
  15. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Congrats on the 5K.

I love the blue color of the guitar. I hate to hear that you are having so many problems with it. Eventually you will be done with it and be able to move on to another build. I'm sure that you have others that are waiting on you.

RogerC likes this.
  16. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

I'm sure most of us have been where you are Rog. There's always the next one!

When things keep interfering with my attempts to get to the finish line, I've got a therapy that is my favorite benefit from being a retired cop -- free range time to shoot holes in sheets of paper! It's a double-positive for me. I not only get the satisfaction of targeted aggression therapy, but also I get my monthly practice that keeps a skill set no longer necessarily needed, but developed over a lifetime.

I've thought about hiring an old friend to throw a larger metal flake onto a firebird style body. I'm not even sure my gun can shoot that larger flake.

RogerC likes this.
  17. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the guitar and the 5K
    If I had tried to run that there would have been paddles and electric current involved after and maybe after the first 100ft:eek:

RogerC likes this.
  18. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the run!

The guitar is looking great, again!

This is like the movie, Groundhog Day, where you are doomed to relive the finish work every day until you get it just right.
    Go ahead, drag it around town from the bumper of your car or truck today. Blast it with a shotgun.
    I bet you wake up tomorrow and it'll be a pretty blue guitar with one minor imperfection staring at you.

RogerC likes this.
  19. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hmmmm, let me see, exorcism or refinish for the 14th time... Hmmm

RogerC likes this.
  20. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

The pictures of your guitar body are amazing... your commitment to perfection is admirable! This is a great build!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.