Let's see your workbenches!

Piggy Stu

Poster Extraordinaire
At the risk of boring everyone - here goes...

View attachment 912628

I moved into a bigger place half a year ago which - for the first time - allowed me to dedicate an entire (small) room to amp-building. Not having to share the dining table with my significant other has been a game-changer. As has been being able to organize things...

View attachment 912629

Have components in easy and organized access, not needing to scuffle through boxes looking for that 56k 2Watter...

View attachment 912630

...and most importantly, finally having a decent breadboarding system for those endless all-nighters tuning electrons...

View attachment 912631
ENVY

My imagination cannot even create something this neat. People flew to the moon in less precision

NSB_Chris

Tele-Holic
Small home requires desperate measures. "clean bench" is inside in AC with most everything at arms length and tools packed into every nook and cranny. Outside in the carport is the "dirty bench". Metal work, woodwork, gluing, painting etc. happen outside where it is easier to clean up metal chips etc. and its safer to use paint and adhesives with ventilation. Not optimum, but it does the job. Bad thing about a carport is that you cannot leave tools and projects out and have to clean up every day. Good thing about a carport is that you cannot leave tools and projects out and have to clean up every day!

IMG_4274.jpg
IMG_4275.jpg

Jewellworks

Tele-Holic
This forum won't allow panoramic pictures, so let's pretend this is 1 single Panorama, since it is.

Left
20211024_201131_1635121128635.jpg

Middle
20211024_201131_1635121307807.jpg

Right
20211024_201131_1635121153452.jpg

My music room. And various junk collection room. The middle pic is my workbench desk with recently reclaimed work area.

13 guitars, 3 ukuleles, and 7 amps, not including 10 mini amps...

The rear view:

20211024_203405.jpg

Last edited:

Nickfl

Friend of Leo's
My amp bench:

IMG_20211024_231443.jpg

Haven't built anything in a while.

Woodworking:

IMG_20211024_231459.jpg

Also hasn't been used in a while.

Because I've been refinishing a vintage dining set my wife found:

IMG_20211024_231508.jpg

I'm actually done with my part, now I'm just tapping my foot waiting for her to do the upholstery so I can get the chairs out...

Attachments

• IMG_20211024_231508.jpg
    IMG_20211024_231508.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 16

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Is the darkroom timer used to control those 300W smoldering irons?

The darkroom timer on the left is wired to the shock collar on the operator that tells him when to stop applying two gun heat to the joint.
The darkroom timer on the right reminds the operator to shut off the exhaust fan when he uses the vintage solder, like the spool on the left that is the old good stuff. The spool on the right is the new OSHA solder that's just kinda OK.
The black hose in the background is the exhaust fan collector that would be sitting on the chassis if this was a real emergency.
Since this is only a test of the emergency self harming solder junkie warning system, the fan is not on and no brain cells were harmed.

Not that like the mad hatter, soldering lead over the years is why I need those extra extra long sleeves on my white lab coat, also not shown because this is only a test.

Edit: The older gun on the left has 90w/125w on the two step trigger and the less old gun on the right has 100w/ 140w on the two step trigger.
I've used these basic guns for maybe 45 years and always bought them second hand. They never seem to die but enough falls from the bench and the bakelite gets busted up.
Might have gone through four previous and a dozen pencil irons.
Always come back to these quick precise heat tools, only set them aside for tiny pcb work.
Totally unhip!

Last edited:

Todd Stock

TDPRI Member
We have a couple benches... the primary electronics bench is cantilevered out from the wall and gets used for guitar electronics 90% of the time, with a roll-around cart with SG, o-scope, power supply, etc. for amp work. The bins overhead hold most of the smaller assortments of parts for both amps and guitars. There is a portable wire spool rack for amp work that lives with the roll-around. The bench top is an Ikea strip-glued solid beach desktop with some contouring to save some bruises.

IMG_2981 (1).jpg

The other bench on the east side of the shop is a standard guitar repair bench with a couple roll-around tool boxes for specialty tools small enough for drawers and the mag strips for common tools that are too much of a bother to have to dig out.

IMG_2982 (1).jpg

The west side of the shop has another repair bench, a detailed finish bench for touch-up work, and the big woodworking bench which sees a lot of use for fabrication, stock prep, and support for jigs and fixtures (most of which live on the walls).

IMG_2983 (1).jpg

Lighting makes a huge difference...it is impossible to over-do it in a craft shop. If you can do the work yourself, cost is likely around $50-$55 per fixture, and it makes the shop a much more pleasant place to be in the evenings or winter days. We've had an ongoing lighting upgrade running, with (so far) 20 x 4200 lumen LED fixtures on the bench side of the shop and 14 x 4200 on the machine side and in the storage area (total of 140,000 lumen over 1600 square feet, but with concentration on bench and machine areas. We have two fixtures over the electronics bench, with another 4200 lumen fixture to be installed to bring the lighting up to the minimum of 3 of the 4200 lumen units over each bench. There is some task lighting, but it's usually bright enough to avoid the use of those supplemental fixtures for all but the closest work.

Last edited:

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic

Mongo Park

Tele-Afflicted
Todd Stock, now that is one serious shop, the storage bins alone are mode boggling with the possibilities of everything ever needed in them. Hmmm how would I remember where so much stuff is once it is put away. Maybe the leave it all out on the bench isn’t all that bad after all.
Seriously wonderful shop.

Todd Stock

TDPRI Member
What's made it a challenge was the gradual transfer of all those drawers and boxes and cubbyholes of stuff into those bins...for the last 18 months, daily changes:

Me: "Hey - you know where I put those P-90 dog ear covers when I moved them from under the back bench storage to over the electronics bench?"

Shop Partner: "We have P-90 dog ears? Cool."

Me: "Yeah - but I think I got them in the wrong bin."

Adult Supervision (Female apprentice who IS smarter than everyone else): "So this new system you guys came up with is freaking AMAZING!"

(Although I am pretty sure that is not what she was thinking in her head)

Piggy Stu

Poster Extraordinaire
What's made it a challenge was the gradual transfer of all those drawers and boxes and cubbyholes of stuff into those bins...for the last 18 months, daily changes:

Me: "Hey - you know where I put those P-90 dog ear covers when I moved them from under the back bench storage to over the electronics bench?"

Shop Partner: "We have P-90 dog ears? Cool."

Me: "Yeah - but I think I got them in the wrong bin."

Adult Supervision (Female apprentice who IS smarter than everyone else): "So this new system you guys came up with is freaking AMAZING!"

(Although I am pretty sure that is not what she was thinking in her head)
I have different coloured tapes with names written on different bins holding anything. Still can't find it. Only thing I ever did that works was segregating spare parts in the order they affix to a guitar, ie tuners/nuts/frets/pups/pots/saddles etc

Archtops

Tele-Holic
Someone does stuff with wood. Is that a handmade press, to the bottom left? A scale tray to the bottom right?
Good call! The press is a side bender for acoustic guitars. The scale is for weighing silver and gold nuggets for casting using the the lost wax method and a centrifugal casting machine.

BigToe

TDPRI Member
5DBC84C1-8BCE-4091-99AD-0C96233B15F9.jpeg untitled-27.JPG untitled-28.JPG Mostly winding pickups but doing some guitar building and have most of what I need for my first amp build woohoo! I have 2 separate rooms in the basement. Unfortunately the ceilings are only 7’ high but otherwise I’m grateful my wife lets me have the space :) btw, the top shelf is not warped, just the wide angle lens distortion.

42307DFC-B2AE-4603-8AD2-29897934CCD1.jpeg DCA61B28-9F42-4328-8937-EDC6D2837019.jpeg 6E46E4B4-1D0E-446A-A03D-4D18C65770C1.jpeg

Last edited: