Let's see your workbenches!

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
IMG_2608.JPG

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 912494 It’s not a guitar workbench. It’s what I use for home maintenance and repair. I’ve been busy with a home renovation since I retired in January. The basement is the last stage. I’ve repaired the floors snd foundation and painted the walls and floors. This was necessitated by the mess created when an old coal furnace converted to heating oil was removed. The soot that remained after the furnace was finally removed was unbelievable. Two contractors walked off the job before a third finally finished cutting it up and hauled it away. And I have the bike shop snd oil tank rooms to go. Being retired is more work than working.
It looks clean and organized so you got that going. You’re not in Utah are you, I heard some exception they get, I think a tax break some thing that doesn’t come in effect until everything is finished. Most of the houses out there have basements actually full living quarters and as long as they’re not completed I heard there was some break. Does anyone know of this.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I rented a room long ago from a guy in Santa Ana California who wanted to run a gas line underneath the house. He kept getting these absurd quotes because there was such a small crawlspace and it was all filled with sand and dirt. He finally found a guy who was a very good craftsman and a good family man and was out of work for a second and that guy came in and knocked it out. Even his dingbat son left the job. He didn’t even complain about it he just took everything that came at him and he dealt with it and he did great stonework and actually did everything great. It was a really great house that I had worked on a lot and we would compare work. It was a 1920s house and the owner wanted lighted switches but the wiring was pretty much two connector. Where this switch was at the front door where there was actually foundation and I told him I just couldn’t wire it up because it needed three connectors, I think the guy used the chicken wire in the lath and plaster, or grounded the outer conduit or something but he made it work.

SparkleFart

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
It's a constant dance moving floor tools on mobile bases because there's no room. Crap stacked everywhere, floor to ceiling, & this is just a portion of it.

shop2.jpg

shop1.jpg

Mrs. Sparkle, she warns that if we have a decent earthquake, I'll likely be pinned under all the "stuff." And that's not the word she uses. :lol:

Jewellworks

Tele-Holic
@tubedude
Now THATS what a real workbench looks like! Parts bins everywhere, o-scopes within reach, spools of wire in all colors, tube charts w pinouts... That's what i need.
I cleaned mine up tonight and it's a relief. I also used some open space on a bookshelf behind me for leftovers and doodads but I've got more work to do. I've got a bench/shelf thing next to me that's just piled with who knows what... I need to clean that off, see what's there and make it useful. these pictures have given me ideas and inspiration. I'm digging this post.

Piggy Stu

Poster Extraordinaire
I think quite often how a cluttered workbench has a certain fractal arrangement to it that is never properly replicated by films who want a mad scientist bench to look well used and cluttered. There are sedimentary layers, disrupted by pushing some things back, small areas of focus, big clearances, spills etc

My shop is mostly put together by clearing the sheds of people who died and I took their stuff, so there is all sorts of mismatched gear, from cheap bits of wire to quaint antiques

Somewhere under all the layers of dust there is probably a triceratops. I would love to pay some keen teenager a lump of money towards their college savings to pull it all out and order it like the palaces seen in this thread. You could eat your dinner off some of these benches - you need a tetanus shot to visit mine

tschwarz

TDPRI Member
At the risk of boring everyone - here goes...

20211024_130923.jpg

I moved into a bigger place half a year ago which - for the first time - allowed me to dedicate an entire (small) room to amp-building. Not having to share the dining table with my significant other has been a game-changer. As has been being able to organize things...

20211024_131130.jpg

Have components in easy and organized access, not needing to scuffle through boxes looking for that 56k 2Watter...

20211024_131055.jpg

...and most importantly, finally having a decent breadboarding system for those endless all-nighters tuning electrons...

20211024_131018.jpg