Let's see your watch.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
Mine's also a calculator!

WatchCalculator-casio.jpg

(Kidding. I wish. But cheaper than a DeLorean. :)

0*KxMkBJzwvwat8FYR.jpeg

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Always liked watches, went through a phase when I bought dozens, mainly inexpensive novel novelty models. Still have most of them in a draw in various stateside disrepair. Now have about a dozen of the ‘special’ ones which I wear regularly.

The most treasured though is this. My Dad died when I was around 11 and this is the one thing I have of his. I can remember seeing it shining above me when I held his hand, must have been around four at the time. I also remember our cat chasing the circle of light reflected from it’s glass onto the wall. One very distinct memory is of standing at the top of The Monument with him after a day in London. I was five so it would have been 1964/65. Looking at the view from the highest point I’d ever been, I asked ‘where are we going next Daddy?’. Looking at the watch he said ‘probably home son, we’ve been here for five hours’. Wow!, five hours, a lifetime!
Sorry for the sentiment but the story is what makes this old watch worth so much to me. Still works and still gets worn regularly, especially when I took my kids, and now my grandkids, to London.
6346724B-B770-4C00-B5F9-72310B77178B.jpeg

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Bloke smuggling watches decided he’d put a couple on his penis to sneak ‘em through customs at Liverpool airport. He was doing great until a guy called to him ‘’av you got the time on yer ****?’

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Lets see what happens to these workers in 25 years.
Got one by default 25 years ago. Wrote for info and the manufacturer seemed to think I wanted to become a distributor and sent me a sample. Worked for five years before it stopped shining in the dark, another couple before it packed up. Still have it but never got it fixed.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
I’ve got a Rolex my dad bought in the 50’s. I keep it in a safe deposit box at the bank with a few other items. A buddy has been trying to buy a Rolex his whole life and gets mad at me for never wearing mine. But I absolutely hate wearing watches. There are no grandkids in the family to pass it down to, so I may just look to sell it in a few years.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
You forgot to mention the money. Watches (WAS) are totally as bad as GAS once started. I can't hear the tone or infer your actually meaning (sarcasm, trolling, messin around, or whatever) but, personally I hate to see time passing, but I love a little expertly made machine on my wrist (just look at that Explorer a few posts back, is it possible not not admire what is going on in there?)

BTW, I sometimes grab an automatic, that has been sitting and wound down, rush out the door and forget to ever set it and still enjoy it all day :)

I am a nut case though. I also have a PRS but am not a great player.

Me too. I have a Rolex but never learned to tell the time.

MTPoteet

Tele-Meister
That is odd. Been wearing mine nonstop for more than 5 years and it’s a rock, and I sure don’t baby it. It’s replaced my beloved Seiko Monster!

Saw the old thread so today is a “Surprise watch wearing”. My wife used to wear little quartz watches until she could no longer see ‘em. I bought her a couple of slightly bigger ones but she soon quit wearing those and I gave up. We moved into a new house last October and while trying to fit all stuff in new spaces I came upon a watch I didn’t recognize, a small Citizen quartz diver. My wife immediately thought I’d hidden a gift for my mistress—after 48 years together!!—and I racked my brain trying to remember where the mystery watch came from, then it hit me: we spend part of spring in coastal FL and she sometimes walks remote beach while I fish. She’s far from a timekeeper and might return hours later than planned so I bought her this watch. She wore it for exactly one beach walk, decided she didn’t like it so I rinsed it off and put it back in the box…4 or 5 years ago!

She wanted to try it again and now for some inexplicable reason loves it, and hasn’t taken it off since. Go figure.

I was speaking of an Eco-Drive. Yours is quartz.

View attachment 940529

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I actually stopped wearing a wrist watch 8 months ago. I had a nice citizen dive watch, but I kept getting it caught on things or banging it into objects so I went back to carrying a pocket watch instead.

A 1915 Waltham railroad watch now sits in my pocket out of danger. It seems to be every bit as accurrate and I no longer feel the need to glance at the time as often which reduces some time pressure as well.

watch1.jpg

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yes, MTPoteet, the watch my wife is wearing is a Citizen quartz. In the first part of the story I was referencing my daily wear Ecodrive Diver that I’ve worn daily for six years. It’s this one, seen here in April, 2016. View attachment 940896

I purchased one of those a year ago, a very nice watch. I still wear it for nights out, just not daily...although it could take the abuse.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’ve got a Rolex my dad bought in the 50’s. I keep it in a safe deposit box at the bank with a few other items. A buddy has been trying to buy a Rolex his whole life and gets mad at me for never wearing mine. But I absolutely hate wearing watches. There are no grandkids in the family to pass it down to, so I may just look to sell it in a few years.
I generally find wrist watches uncomfortable on my bony wrist but am also always late so I tried a Swiss titanium watch but was still always late.