Let's see your rings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Aug 7, 2019.

1. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I used to work with a classical pianist whose wedding band was a tattoo around his finger. That's commitment, right there.

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i made this ring from a jfk clad half dollar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was a trial...then i made a couple out of 90% silver jfk half dollars and ben franklin half dollars

i also made a couple out of silver quarters...but they turned out to be too small for my fingers...i was going to start selling these as a hobby/money maker but mine would be too expensive compared to time and cost to me vs ones they sell at stores that are mass produced

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interesting! Can you run through the rough steps of making a ring out of coin? Never knew that was a thing! Cool!

4. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

We were stationed at San Vito air station from Dec 64 to Dec 66...

It was a listening post in southern Italy..
    Note the big elephant cage..

It was a secure base and entirely closed in and as kids we had a blast..

ELEPHANT.jpg

Attached Files:

5. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

I don't wear rings, if you've ever seen a guys finger ripped out of the socket because of a wedding band you'll understand why.I have several rings, but I don't wear them. The only jewelry type item I wear is a wristwatch.

RL52 and Piggy Stu like this.
  6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Somewhere around I have the rings I made in high school art metal class. Now only a wedding ring in 440C that I made myself.

7. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

sure...basically you just hold the coin on its edge...place the coin on some kinda metal base and hit the edge with a hammer...while hitting it turn the coin...being on a metal block or plate the hammering is flattening on to sides...keep doing that till you get the desired size

after that is finished...i drill holes around the coin as near the flattened edge and then used a jewelers saw to cut oiut the middle...the filing the inside to remove what the saw couldnt get...then sanding the roughness out...then the polishing begins...i go from about a 400 grit emery paper up to 7000 grit...i do use a dremel and drill...with the drill i use a dowel in different configurations to get the in and outside polished

there are youtube tutorials you can see how different people and their styles to make rings

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks! I now get where the whole thickness and size come from. Sounds like something fun to try...

9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Exactly how Dad made their rings. He told me that there was a heavy steel fitting on the hull of his PBY that he used as an anvil.

10. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

No rings for me, but I do wear one piece of jewelry

My wife is not a jewelry person either (partly due to the work she used to do), so when we got married we decided we would get matching earrings (I've had my ear pierced forever)

So we had a jeweler make a pair of Tiger Eye quartz earrings, and that's what we exchanged during our wedding vows. I wear mine in my left ear, she wears hers in her right (along with a diamond in her left)

Kind of threw the minister for a loop right before the ceremony. He came to bless the rings with a very nice "these represent the circle of life" spiel. He is a buddy of mine, so we had a good laugh.

Cheers,
    Doug

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't wear jewelry. A wedding band is all I have.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

fendertx and brookdalebill like this.
  13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

When starting in 2ndry school us boys jumped up to touch doorframes as we walked through, show how macho we were

Aged 12 we went on a school trip to Paris and all bought rings

You can probably guess the rest. The ring was pulled into a thin strip before his finger came off

I regarded this as impossible bad luck until I began working at my father's garage. One of employees had half a ring finger due to slipping with a drill. Everyone sat round said rings were bad around cars anyway, for paint, and no one wore one there

PS: show me your ring also means something else in England. Can I thank all Englishmen on here from refraining posting pictures of their balloon knot

RoyalBaby likes this.
  14. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Same here.

I have never had any attraction to jewelry of any kind.

Many people can't understand that, but that's how I've been since I was a kid.

Mike

RL52 likes this.
  15. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Not mine, but my design...
    I made it for a history buff that wanted a ring using General George Washington's monogram and the words "'tis well" modeled after Washington's own handwriting.

The ring was modeled using CAD and then printed on a 3D printer with details added by hand to the silver casting. 18th century meets 21st century.

monogram.JPG tis.JPG well.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    fendertx likes this.
  16. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Here's another historically inspired ring that I made for my history buff client. This one has a tiny bas relief of King Richard III's personal device (or badge) - The White Boar. The boar on the ring was modeled after a badge that was unearthed in 2009 at the likely location of one of Britain’s most famous battles, the Battle of Bosworth Field, fought in 1485. Badges were important symbols of political affiliation and Richard distributed very large numbers at his coronation and the installation of his son Edward as Prince of Wales. Silver gilt boars were made for his knights and nobles. Historians believe the gilt silver badge found in 2009 may have been dropped in the mire more than 500 years ago by a knight who fought alongside King Richard III.

The motto, engraved on the ring, says "Loyaulté me lie" – loyalty binds me. The inscription was adapted from a manuscript written in the king's own hand. The last image is a picture of the actual badge that I recreated in miniature. Cute little feller, right?

Bad choice of background - the pebbled finished is reflected on the silver ring, which makes the ring look textured. Live and learn...

boar - final edit 2.jpg loyaulte - final edit 2.jpg me lie - final edit 2.jpg bosworth boar - resampled.jpg

fendertx likes this.
  17. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

The only rings I have (but can't wear yet because I need to have them re-sized) are replicas of the ones that Elvis Presley wore during his "Aloha From Hawaii" television special. A guy from CA made them and he also made other types of replica Elvis jewelry & eyeglasses (real & plastic ones). His name was Artie Dadyan and I just found out that he passed away suddenly last year. The website is still up and running, however, and being run by his family if anybody would like to check out the products:

Design By Artie

18. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Political figure!

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't walk into an aussie pub and ask a bloke , can I have a look at your ring....:rolleyes:

he may be confused by the question.....:lol:

your ring is a slang term for your butthole in many places....;)

20. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I never did like rings, or jewelry of any kind, really. So like several others here, just my wedding ring. Mine used to have a Florentine texture to it, but after 46 years, it's worn smooth.
    08-08-2019 - My wedding ring.jpg

There is an inscription on the inside of the band. It reads "LarryBeth 4-21-73." Our conjoined name developed in response to a friend getting engaged around the same time as us. He was engaged to a girl named Mary Beth, so as a couple they were referred to as "David & Mary Beth." By extension, we became "LarryBeth." It stuck, so we had it inscribed on the inside of our wedding bands. After more than four and a half decades, it's pretty faint, but you can still make it out.
    08-08-2019 - LarryBeth 4-21-73.jpg

El Tele Lobo and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.