Let's see your coffee setup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Friend of Leo's

Yeah, my comment came out a bit wrong. I meant to say, in America we just haven't been immersed in the coffee culture as long as other places have. When I was a kid, Taster's Choice was premium coffee!

We are catching up fast! There are some pretty amazing coffee places spring up all over the place these days.

skitched and 4pickupguy like this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm shocked and disappointed...not one person here using one of those twisty mad-scientist-looking apparatuses to make coffee?

And no civit/kopi lusaka coffee?! I thought you guys were connoisseurs...

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  3. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    El Tele Lobo and 4pickupguy like this.
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

This morning ground the beans, cleaned yesterday’s grounds while heating water, let beans bloom while pouring milk and honey into cup...4 minutes and change.. done.
    I use French press because I am lazy and impatient (worst combo possible) and it makes a good cup of coffee. My son uses a chemex and weighs everything, presoaks the filter, bloom pour then the pour straight down the middle using his special fru fru drip spout kettle, lets it all slowly drip into the flask...... then pops into the microwave because it’s no longer hot!!:lol: His coffee IS better than mine! I need to get a Chemex and the scale and fru fru kettle...o_O

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

El Tele Lobo and Stanford Guitar like this.
  6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Kettle, water, Dowe Egberts instant coffee, Silver Spoon sweetener, Milk....rinse and repeat.

VintageSG and 4pickupguy like this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We like coffee. Barratza grinder. Mokamaster coffee maker. Gaggia automatic cappuccino machine.

8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

After the morning brew of life, and cleaning the press, it's kettle, water, mug, supermarket own brand 'gold' instant or Lavazzo espresso instant, hazelnut milk....rinse and repeat, until a big mug of builder's tea mid afternoon.

The day is best started, for me and those around me, with a large ( 1pt ) mug of 'No.5' strength French blend, so black that Vantablack gets worried. It allows me to do stupid things with more energy.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"It's a-liiiiiiiiiiive!!! It's a-LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVE!!!" The goggles are a nice touch. Very mad coffee scientist. Thanks for sharing.

10. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

I didn’t bother to go through this entire thread, but it does seem to me that quite a few people chimed in to make some variation of “Instant Coffee”. Why? Honestly, that Sorta crap is exactly why I’ve left every other forum I’ve ever been in except TDPRI, too much nonsense, don’t make me unit this place, too.

11. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

Here’s my home setup:
    4A44F8BC-6932-4D53-A334-94E951C6D82C.jpeg
    Used Bunn G2 with SSP Burr-set

69DD8D80-3FFE-4AD6-B026-2D1B5EF851BC.jpeg
    Bonavita electric gooseneck kettle.

6BE88319-A7FF-47B7-977F-9D89AD0E4BD3.jpeg
    Acacia pearl scale, I went through several cheap scales that would stop working after a few months, so finally stepped up to this “pro level” scale.
    59B141A4-821D-4759-948B-B4AADD223759.jpeg
    Hario V3 Dripper
    22DB5C50-FAD2-4B7F-BC9A-E594E564823E.jpeg
    Hario glass decanter.

for now though I’m living out of a hotel for work, so I take my v3 dripper along with:
    7660E245-7909-4E8E-A48D-A16522213155.jpeg
    Orphan Espresso Lido ET
    426CBABE-7CBB-4869-9E78-2638386E0D88.jpeg
    MSR windburner stove
    6AA0A4BA-1639-4E16-A4B5-BBAFEFEA4A8B.jpeg
    Cheap 750 ml gooseneck kettle.

I also have a La Pavoni Lever Espresso maker, but I rarely use it because it overheats after the first shot...plus a few different types of drippers, a hario siphon which I’ve never figured out how to make decent coffee with, an overpriced coffee grounds sifter, and an Aeropress which I’ve also never found to make very good coffee.

I used to roast my own coffee with a modified bread maker and heat gun, which worked well but it was a huge time suck and wasn’t a reliable source for good coffee. Nowadays I have a 2 bag subscription to Black Oak Coffee out of Ukiah Ca., and I pick up a couple bags from other sources each month. Right now I have 2 bags from Hub Coffee from Reno, and a bag from Sterling coffee from Portland OR.

12. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

the best coffee is which ever one you like most. I certainly don’t recommend that people nerd out about coffee as much as I have...but I figure the type of person who nerds out about “stuff” will do so no matter what I say.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Reading quickly, my tiny brain initially read popularity as profanity. 'The profanity of instant coffee' seems apt, to me.

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Here are the usual pics. My Breville 860XL produced (3000+) double-shots before the pump got tired. It's the backup, now, for this 870XL. These are semi-automatic espresso machines. The grind amount setting isn't as stable as I'd like, but they're pretty good for the price point. Every 5 weeks, or so, we buy Espresso Organico Dark beans from http://www.specialtyjava.com/ We get a 5 pound bag that's the size of a small throw pillow. That qualifies as a bulk purchase and we get USPS Priority shipping for $0.99.

Edit: The 860XL was loaned to a neighbor for a couple of months. Just long enough to get them addicted.

15. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Behold! the telecaster of coffee makers...$18 bucks for the Mr. Coffee, $8 bucks for the big tub-o'-medium-dark McCafe, and another buck or so for a buttload of paper filters...Yum!
    IMG_20200707_142553970.jpg

4pickupguy and DrPepper like this.
  16. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Holic

Here's what I use - couldn't be easier. 1 lb French press, pour in water to cover, and let sit for 12 hours. Drain into carafe and you have concentrated cold brew. I drink only iced coffee by itself and this gives me the flavor without the acidity. We go through a pound a week.

https://toddycafe.com/product/toddy-cold-brew-system

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When the weather's hot, I pour a double espresso over ice.

We had an Italian exchange student living with us and she shook her head at that -- Italians have ironbound rules for coffee. I still like it like that, sometimes with a bit a maple syrup ... because, Canada!

18. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

Fair, but the title is "let's see your coffee setup", do we really need a bunch of irrelevant posts about preferring instant? If I asked to see your pedalboard, how many posts of "I play acoustic, so I don't have one" would it really need? I'm sure at least one such thread exists, but I am waaay too lazy to go check if that occurred.

"Get off my Lawn" accurately describes my impression of my current mood.

skitched likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Look at any "what is the best chorus pedal" thread to see "I hate chorus" posts :lol:

20. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

coffeemaker.jpeg berkey.jpg coffee.jpg

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.