Let's see your coffee setup

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
I travel quite bit. Best coffee on this planet is served in a little place called The Bluebonnet Cafe in Haltom city Texas. Best pecan waffles too! They must not know they are behind the curve.

View attachment 738608

I keep hearing how good coffee is in places I couldn’t find a decent cup. Beer on the other hand....

Yeah, my comment came out a bit wrong. I meant to say, in America we just haven't been immersed in the coffee culture as long as other places have. When I was a kid, Taster's Choice was premium coffee!

We are catching up fast! There are some pretty amazing coffee places spring up all over the place these days.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'm shocked and disappointed...not one person here using one of those twisty mad-scientist-looking apparatuses to make coffee?

And no civit/kopi lusaka coffee?! I thought you guys were connoisseurs...

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
This morning ground the beans, cleaned yesterday’s grounds while heating water, let beans bloom while pouring milk and honey into cup...4 minutes and change.. done.
I use French press because I am lazy and impatient (worst combo possible) and it makes a good cup of coffee. My son uses a chemex and weighs everything, presoaks the filter, bloom pour then the pour straight down the middle using his special fru fru drip spout kettle, lets it all slowly drip into the flask...... then pops into the microwave because it’s no longer hot!!:lol: His coffee IS better than mine! I need to get a Chemex and the scale and fru fru kettle...o_O

Last edited:

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
We like coffee. Barratza grinder. Mokamaster coffee maker. Gaggia automatic cappuccino machine.

VintageSG

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Kettle, water, Dowe Egberts instant coffee, Silver Spoon sweetener, Milk....rinse and repeat.

After the morning brew of life, and cleaning the press, it's kettle, water, mug, supermarket own brand 'gold' instant or Lavazzo espresso instant, hazelnut milk....rinse and repeat, until a big mug of builder's tea mid afternoon.

The day is best started, for me and those around me, with a large ( 1pt ) mug of 'No.5' strength French blend, so black that Vantablack gets worried. It allows me to do stupid things with more energy.

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I didn’t bother to go through this entire thread, but it does seem to me that quite a few people chimed in to make some variation of “Instant Coffee”. Why? Honestly, that Sorta crap is exactly why I’ve left every other forum I’ve ever been in except TDPRI, too much nonsense, don’t make me unit this place, too.

skitched

Tele-Meister
Here’s my home setup:
4A44F8BC-6932-4D53-A334-94E951C6D82C.jpeg

Used Bunn G2 with SSP Burr-set

69DD8D80-3FFE-4AD6-B026-2D1B5EF851BC.jpeg

Bonavita electric gooseneck kettle.

6BE88319-A7FF-47B7-977F-9D89AD0E4BD3.jpeg

Acacia pearl scale, I went through several cheap scales that would stop working after a few months, so finally stepped up to this “pro level” scale.
59B141A4-821D-4759-948B-B4AADD223759.jpeg

Hario V3 Dripper
22DB5C50-FAD2-4B7F-BC9A-E594E564823E.jpeg

Hario glass decanter.

for now though I’m living out of a hotel for work, so I take my v3 dripper along with:
7660E245-7909-4E8E-A48D-A16522213155.jpeg

Orphan Espresso Lido ET
426CBABE-7CBB-4869-9E78-2638386E0D88.jpeg

MSR windburner stove
6AA0A4BA-1639-4E16-A4B5-BBAFEFEA4A8B.jpeg

Cheap 750 ml gooseneck kettle.

I also have a La Pavoni Lever Espresso maker, but I rarely use it because it overheats after the first shot...plus a few different types of drippers, a hario siphon which I’ve never figured out how to make decent coffee with, an overpriced coffee grounds sifter, and an Aeropress which I’ve also never found to make very good coffee.

I used to roast my own coffee with a modified bread maker and heat gun, which worked well but it was a huge time suck and wasn’t a reliable source for good coffee. Nowadays I have a 2 bag subscription to Black Oak Coffee out of Ukiah Ca., and I pick up a couple bags from other sources each month. Right now I have 2 bags from Hub Coffee from Reno, and a bag from Sterling coffee from Portland OR.

Last edited:

skitched

Tele-Meister
I didn’t bother to go through this entire thread, but it does seem to me that quite a few people chimed in to make some variation of “Instant Coffee”. Why? Honestly, that Sorta crap is exactly why I’ve left every other forum I’ve ever been in except TDPRI, too much nonsense, don’t make me unit this place, too.

the best coffee is which ever one you like most. I certainly don’t recommend that people nerd out about coffee as much as I have...but I figure the type of person who nerds out about “stuff” will do so no matter what I say.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Nah, Americans are ahead of the curve on many things, just not coffee. The popularity of instant coffee prevented any chance of espresso or other brew methods taking off in the US in the 1940s.

Reading quickly, my tiny brain initially read popularity as profanity. 'The profanity of instant coffee' seems apt, to me.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Here are the usual pics. My Breville 860XL produced (3000+) double-shots before the pump got tired. It's the backup, now, for this 870XL. These are semi-automatic espresso machines. The grind amount setting isn't as stable as I'd like, but they're pretty good for the price point. Every 5 weeks, or so, we buy Espresso Organico Dark beans from http://www.specialtyjava.com/ We get a 5 pound bag that's the size of a small throw pillow. That qualifies as a bulk purchase and we get USPS Priority shipping for $0.99.

Edit: The 860XL was loaned to a neighbor for a couple of months. Just long enough to get them addicted.

Last edited:

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When the weather's hot, I pour a double espresso over ice.

We had an Italian exchange student living with us and she shook her head at that -- Italians have ironbound rules for coffee. I still like it like that, sometimes with a bit a maple syrup ... because, Canada!

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
the best coffee is which ever one you like most. I certainly don’t recommend that people nerd out about coffee as much as I have...but I figure the type of person who nerds out about “stuff” will do so no matter what I say.

Fair, but the title is "let's see your coffee setup", do we really need a bunch of irrelevant posts about preferring instant? If I asked to see your pedalboard, how many posts of "I play acoustic, so I don't have one" would it really need? I'm sure at least one such thread exists, but I am waaay too lazy to go check if that occurred.

"Get off my Lawn" accurately describes my impression of my current mood.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Fair, but the title is "let's see your coffee setup", do we really need a bunch of irrelevant posts about preferring instant? If I asked to see your pedalboard, how many posts of "I play acoustic, so I don't have one" would it really need? I'm sure at least one such thread exists, but I am waaay too lazy to go check if that occurred.

"Get off my Lawn" accurately describes my impression of my current mood.

Look at any "what is the best chorus pedal" thread to see "I hate chorus" posts :lol: