Let's see yer cabronita style builds

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I built this one about 10 years ago. Surf green nitro on an alder body with two TV Jones Filtertrons, a volume control and a switch, and stainless steel D6100 frets on a quartersawn one-piece maple neck. The pickguard is translucent Tortoloid. This guitar is a peach.

Surf-Green-Tele-Ful-l-Shot.jpg

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I didn't build it, it's a Fender MIM, but it has been modded... pickup selector switch moved, tone control added, MIA bridge, and those are Rio Grande BBQ filtertrons, which are closer in tone to Gibson PAFs than to Gretsch filtertrons...

Cabronita BBQ.jpg

guitfiddles

Tele-Meister
N
I didn't build it, it's a Fender MIM, but it has been modded... pickup selector switch moved, tone control added, MIA bridge, and those are Rio Grande BBQ filtertrons, which are closer in tone to Gibson PAFs than to Gretsch filtertrons...

View attachment 902098

nice!! I used to have the same strap. Bought it must’ve been close to 20 years ago. A good fifteen anyhow. Someone stole my guitar and the strap (it was on the guitar).

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Very cool!
What is it?

Thank you, Bill. A good friend of mine lost his father last year and they had to go to NH to clean out the estate. The new owners were going to tear down one of the buildings, so he decided to save all the floor wood which was pine and 15" wide. Built in the 1790s. He asked me to help him make a couple guitars for him and his brother and gave me a couple glued up blanks for helping. Sorry for the long story. we made a 5/16" piece to go in the center to make the thickness we needed. I had a EVHMM body template, and love the shape, so I made this one and the sapele neck. Hipshot tuners,Wilkinson bridge, and Gretsch Blacktop Filtertron pickups.
Not the best of the filtertrons but they sound great to me!

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
EDIT:
Have asked for a quote to supply a ready finished Cabronita body in Fiesta red as a tribute to my late Father as bright red was his favourite colour.

I'll end up with two guitars made from a mix of my avatar guitar and my White blonde 50s classic lacquer Tele. I'll end up with a black guard/White blonde Tele with a fat U '51 neck and a red Cabronita with the 50s Classic medium C maple neck.

Obviously I'll start a thread once I get the parts. :)

Last edited:

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I love to see all these different interpretations on the La Cabrionita design. Everybody has their different spin. I love that barncaster concept as well. A lot of imagination going on. It's so cool, they are like the guitar models that should have come out but never did.

garthnose90

TDPRI Member
I have a couple: The two guitars have TV Jones Classics with one having a Seymour Duncan BG1400 in the bridge. The Fiesta Red in the middle of the pack has the Seymour Duncan Hot Rod set with Filtertron style pickup covers. View attachment 901192 View attachment 901193 View attachment 901194
Hi,

Bit late to this post! I wanted to ask about the bg1400 with the TV jones.

On forums alot of people complain about finding a good neck pickup to go with the bg1400 as it is so loud.

How do you find it with the TV jones volume wise? I'm looking at a possible TV jones t90 and bg1400 pairing

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
Hi,

Bit late to this post! I wanted to ask about the bg1400 with the TV jones.

On forums alot of people complain about finding a good neck pickup to go with the bg1400 as it is so loud.

How do you find it with the TV jones volume wise? I'm looking at a possible TV jones t90 and bg1400 pairing
OK! My personal choice is that I don't like hot pickups in the neck position at all, so I wanted some clarity in the neck. It is true that the BG1400 is loud, but I use it primarily to overdrive the amp when needed. The TV Jones classic gives me that clarity while still being a humbucker pickup. Also, the mate up perfectly with the 500K pots. I didn't find that the middle switch position was all that out of balance, so I was happy with the combo. A TV Jones T90 should work as well. Just a personal preference that's all.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
I used a TV Jones Classic in my build (which ended up another colour than Fiesta red as I mentioned further back in this old thread). Classic Plus in the bridge, because I already had this pair from a previous 'upgrade' to a Gretsch. I too used a 500K pot, but no tone only a pull switch on the volume that engages capacitors same as the CS Cabronita did.

I'd prefer the control a separate tone knob gives, but I like the cleaner lines of the single knob (and minus a pick guard too):

Finished 3 small.jpg

I really do like the sound of it on the neck pickup, especially into my Marshall(s).