Lets see Who has got the Oldest DIY Champ?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Platefire, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Of course with pictures! This is one of the most favored first guitar amp project I think in DIY history. I know it was my first. The Chassis and all the parts were furnished pre-drilled and ready assemble in kit form by a guy pretty well known in the DIY world "Casey4s" which also provided installation instructions. Casey4s also instructed me on the cab constructions also by e-mails. If fact it talked me into building an amp in the first place. This one was started in 2000 and completed in 2001. So that makes mine 17 Years old.Thank You Casey4s for getting me jump started:>)

BTW--The brass corner plates are on there because this was my first tolex job so I messed up
    the corners. So the corner plates hide the blotched corners.
    DIY Champ 001.jpg
    DIY Champ 009.jpg DIY Champ 016.jpg

2. Platefire

Well so far I reckon I've got the oldest?
    No others are stepping forward!

3. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Seems you are the Champ Platefire!!!!
    Thats a nice build first or not. Any demo clips of those hot rodded mods.

4. Platefire

Yeah, but I was hoping to see some really old DIY Champ projects come out of the woodwork.
    It don't have to be beautiful. A champ Rat Rod is fine. I know they are out there, just getting
    them to show up. I really don't have any sound clips that I can think of on this amp.

I will throw and newer version into the hat, a Revere Reel to Reel converted to a champ circuit with a EL84 power tube and put in a head cab--called "little Bear done 2004---14 Years old.
    Platefire
    DSC00275.JPG
    DSC00280.JPG

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    radiocaster and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I can't beat 2001, but here's one from Circa 2003 to 2006. Not my build (this predates my getting into amp building by about 10 years) but one I bought broken on Craigslist and repaired. Supposedly built by a "Boutique" builder that was active in the early 2000s, but even so was such a small shop that the amp doesn't even have any name plates or Builder markings on it other than those I added after I brought it back to life, so I would call it a diy build.

IMG_20160929_215337.jpg

kleydejong likes this.
  6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I lose! The stain on the cab for mine is still wet.

7. Platefire

Nickfl---Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. That's a narrow Panel remake of a 1958 to 1959 Champ.
    What all did you have to do to it to bring it around? Well building one from a kit like I did is not exactly building one from scratch either. Taking a bare chassis and planning all the hole drilling take quite a bit of planning. I can do it now but back then it was all I could handle was just putting the kit together---with a lot of mistakes that had to be corrected. Thanks for sharing!

JD0x0, well so you lost on the age deal but it would be nice to see some pictures! It seems just yesterday when I build my first amp but now almost 20 years ago, hard to believe. Platefire

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mine doesn't qualify as DIY but I have an early Kendrick Champ probably built by Gerald himself, and for him it might have been DIY until he sold it.
    I got it just as a working chassis with the only ID being the Kendrick PT and typical gray hospital cord.
    I think it's pretty cool since back in probably the '90s there weren't a lot of Tweeds being built.
    I'd guess there really were no kits and almost no DIY then because vintage amps were just too cheap to be worth making low budget repros of, where chassis would have to be fabbed and spec parts might have been harder to source.

Interesting topic!

craigh9, screamin eagle and Wally like this.
  9. Platefire

Good Insite telemnemonics

You got me doing a little research on Kendrick's amps and I'm not to sure who you are referring to by "Gerald". First person I thought of was Gerald Weber:>)----but I did find out that Kendrick was one of the first vintage fender amp re-producers in the 80's. In what examples I've seen, top notch amps!
    Maybe you could fill us in a little better and show your amp. I came into amp building/converting in about 2000 but like you say, as the price of those vintage amps started to skyrocket about that time the DIY thing really started to build also.

I knew nothing about electronics when I got into it and was literally talked into building my
    first amp almost against my will, but I went along with it. The result was once I got started it became the greatest most enjoyable hobby ever. Platefire

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I built a 5e3 in 2008. That's neither a champ, or the oldest so far. Though now the 5e3 cabinet houses a 5c2 circuit. More champ like and a much better practice amp.

11. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't @JohnnyCrash build a few amps (maybe a champ) a long time ago? I remember reading a lot of his posts regarding building and tweaking circuits. I learned quite a bit from those.

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I changed the caps on a couple of amps in the early 90s, but I have yet to build an amp.

13. telemnemonics

Not great pics but here’s the old Kendrick 5f1.
    I haven’t built but was modding out of Weber’s first book in 1994 IIRC.
    This one has been worked on and either had the OT changed or was built with a multi impedance OT which was not typical early Kendrick all original style builds. The wire nut covers the other OT tap, and a second output jack has been removed.

Image1529079079.357828.jpg Image1529079099.468750.jpg Image1529079113.912726.jpg

robrob likes this.
  14. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

I built a Champ back in the mid 90's. Then modded it to a vibrochamp about a year later. It was my first attempt at building an amp, a bud box special put into a wood box which I made. I still have it and use it on occasion. Great sound! I keep looking at picking up a 1x8 extension cabinet and mounting the amp upside down on top of it - ala one of those audio tube amps.

15. telemnemonics

Wow, do they make bud boxes that big?
    I guess there was no aftermarket chassis repro industry then to buy chassis' from?

That's pretty early, you may have a winner!

16. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Of course pictorial evidence of the whole matter must be presented!

17. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

Just hit Bud's website. They make all kind of different sizes.

I had a ton of old tubes, sockets (ceramic), punches, etc which my dad had leftover from probably the 60's. I only had to buy transformers and a small items to build it. It's kind of a Franken-amp!

My next amp was a Super. The cool part was back in that era you could call up Fender and talk with their engineers. They helped me to apprehend transformers for example. As a side, I'm an EE.

18. Platefire

Aria51

Do you still have that Champ? Would love to see pictures. That would pre-date
    mine by about 6 years. 28 year old DIY Champ. Platefire

19. Platefire

telemnemonics

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your Kendricks 5F1 pictures. They really followed the original Fender Champ very close I see. I see the only exception is the filter cap values have been increased from the original design which is a good move to get rid of that original Champ hum. I built one almost identical to the one in the #1 post for my Son. Since then I have gone back and upgraded the filter caps in both of them to higher values to quite them down. So much better now. That's a cool looking Champ you have there! I bet it sounds great! Platefire

Here is some gut shots of my Champ:

Original back in 2001:
    Gut Shot bad caps.jpg
    Now June 2018:
    DIY Champ new Filter Caps1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    robrob and telemnemonics like this.
  20. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I have one of Muchxs' personal Champ clones... The one that all followed supposedly. Blonde cabinet with 6x9 and a white powder coated chassis.

akuster777, robrob and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.