Let's see guitars built in 1982!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StrangerNY, Apr 18, 2020.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

(After posting in the wrong forum...)

I've been wondering how many guitars would end up in a thread like this. Post your guitars built in 1982. I'll start - Gibson LP Standard.

[​IMG]

Whaddya got?

- D

VWAmTele, Blazer, tonyj and 3 others like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This is not my guitar, mine was identical in Satin Sunburst, an Electra Phoenix

I bought mine 'new' in a small shop in 1982 but I bet it's from earlier. $239.
    This was my 2nd electric, as my first one was stolen in College, 1980.

I did not know it at the time, but this is basically a Strat with 2 toggle switches to get the 5/positions. ( mini toggle works midde PU)
    I played the hell out it, for 10 years, it was a good guitar- turned the FB black from wear

Had NO Idea until I got a real Strat, how small the neck seemed ( C shape but smaller nut width?)
    Gave it to an employee in 1992.
    Miss it now looking at it- Strat with SG horns!
    20200418_140605.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

1983 Ibanez Roadstar II. I found this used at GC. I had a silver one just like it in College. This thing makes me feel like a kid.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Me & the silver one.....this was 1983....

[​IMG]

Blazer, Omiewise65, gitold and 5 others like this.
  4. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Once again
    Ibanez RoadstarII 1983-4

Played it for years until the knife edges on trim wore out and wouldn't stay in tune good.

IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0548.JPG

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I've got one that might qualify. I say "might" because I don't rightly know when it was built, but 1982 is well within the realm of possibility.

My Hohner G-940 I bought new in the spring of 1983, here in Corpus Christi, Texas. Hohner's high end acoustic guitar series of the time was specifically called the Arbor Series of Hohner acoustics. Guitars from this line were also commonly referred to as the 900 series, since the model numbers in the series ranged from 905-950. They were built for Hohner in Japanese factories from 1978-1985.

So taking into consideration my guitar's provenance (Japan) and distribution trek (through Virginia, I believe) to hanging up on the wall of a local guitar dealer, it is quite likely that it was made in 1982.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  6. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

I was puzzled as to why 1982? I have no preferences btw, but I suppose 1982 is/was as good as any other year in many ways, especially for this particular forum being a Fender forum.

It was of course the year that the then CBS owned Fender operation finally got it's collective act together by deciding to re-establish the falling "Fender" reputation by attempting a 'remake' the previously highly sought after 'Broadcaster' guitars from 1951/2. The was the first year of the now iconic '52AV series which was to run for close to thirty years, and very successfully too.

Here are a few photos of my very early '52AV, with a neck date of 5-12-82 (12th May 1982) which is one of the earliest of the reissues. The guitar is pictured alongside my 2013 '52AVRI. The two guitars are very similar in so many ways, and either of them is a joy to play. There are some slight differences I suppose, but there are more similarities than there are differences. The reintroduction of this AV series in 1982 was to be a major success.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blazer, Omiewise65, 2blue2 and 3 others like this.
  7. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

8EC9DFA9-53AF-4C0E-8DF2-325FF46C744E.jpeg 97258BD0-489D-4717-90BE-C22519CDEFE1.jpeg

The second picture is the Summer of 1982 when my SCGC was brand new.

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I assume 1982 because the O.P has one, sometimes us people that don’t own vintage feel left out so we make a thread about guitars that have a cutoff of the years we have

Just a guess

And ashamedly I have kind of done this

tonyj likes this.
  9. StrangerNY

Dunno, I just picked it out of the air. And I have a guitar from that year. :)

I might do a bunch of these with different years.

Nice AV, BTW!

- D

tonyj likes this.
  10. StrangerNY

I've got some vintage stuff, just decided to do '82 for no reason.

- D

Fretting out likes this.
  11. Fretting out

I didn’t mean anything by it
    I just know that I have a 79 lead II and I made a thread about showing pre 80’s guitars

12. StrangerNY

No offense taken. :)

I had a '79 Lead I for a while. Cool guitar.

- D

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Fretting out

That lead II was my first “good” guitar even if it’s not as nice as what is available these days for a similar price

Omiewise65, StrangerNY and 2blue2 like this.
  14. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Me2,
    with lots of authentic checking
    IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0574.JPG

tonyj and StrangerNY like this.
  15. Fretting out

I can’t tell by the photos, does the finish have any clouding/blueing, they had a problem during production which caused them to go hazy and probably accounts for the chipping
    I think mine was early enough that it doesn’t have any problems

I like mine a lot it’s got a fairly chunky U-shaped neck that I would say is just about perfect
    I compared it to my dads 72 tele and it’s almost the exact depth and profile

16. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Had a Lead III which I bought brand new , back in 1982 . The one with the humbuckers . I wanted a Strat that would have been $600 more , so I went with something similar, lol .

17. StrangerNY

You guys with the Fender Leads - do/did you find yours unusually heavy? Mine always struck me as being pretty heavy for a relatively small-bodied guitar.

- D

18. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I had a '79 Lead II for decades - got it new in November '79 and finally let it go in 2015 (I thought I was going to quit playing for good so I moved it on to a younger relative - unfortunately he found that the truss rod had frozen and wound up cracking the neck in attempting to unfreeze it; with my blessing it was parted out so he could get something else). It was a heavy guitar, as you say heavier than you would expect for a smaller bodied guitar. Fender was using some heavy ash back then. It seems like the 1982s were lighter - they looked like they had deeper contours, and I wonder if the solid colors (black and white) switched to alder for the final year (after they added the Lead III to the mix).

Obligatory photo of the old girl (from about 2004):

[​IMG]

StrangerNY likes this.
  19. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    My Peavey T-15 "Yoko" applies although I'm not sure exactly what year she is. She used to be sunburst though.

StrangerNY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.