Let's say you just drilled through the headstock..

Michael A.

Tele-Afflicted
Do like the former owner did to what is now my MIJ Squier ST-331. Drill it out larger to make it useful.

Then it can be hung on a nail in the closet. Doesn't everyone do that?

IMG_20171204_152312440.jpg IMG_20171209_172308183.jpg IMG_20171204_152330625.jpg

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
I've got some scrap rosewood I could send your way if you're in the US. Get a piece of sandpaper, sand and rub the rosewood back and forth on the sandpaper (a lot) until you get some dust. Mix that with some wood glue and sand flush. Repeat until there's no dimple. Easy. I've done it before on a fretboard by mistake and you'd never know there was a hole there. I can't remember which guitar I did it to, so I doubt I'd be able to find it if I went and looked. DM me if you're interested in the rosewood.

Full-Tilt-Tele

Tele-Meister
Well, there's a few simple solutions;

A.) take any sawdust and mix in a stain to color you need

B.) go to a hardware store and buy a 'Furniture Scratch' stick

C.) put a small chrome screw in the hole

D.) ignore it...

hotdotdog

TDPRI Member
Either leave it. Or wood glue a tip of a toothpick in it. Wait to dry. Cut it level. And get a wood furniture stain touch up marker and try to stain the toothpick to match
First test the stain on a tooth pick to get the color matched. then use the same type of toothpick for the fix.

Whitebeard

Tele-Meister
I did not read all the posts so sorry if mine is redundant. First a couple questions: 1) Will a string tree screw be on the other side of that whole? 2) If yes, how deep will the back side of the hole (that you're concerned about) be once the screw is installed? I ask because if the shiny end of the screw is easily visible it would probably bother me. If it is not I'd leave that tiny hole alone. Stewmac makes ColorTone Touch-up Markers but it looks to me like the closest color to rosewood is Tobacco Brown. You could do the toothpick plug fix then stain the plug with it. ColorTone Touch-up Marker - StewMac

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Gorgeous guitar with a tiny almost imperceptible beauty mark in a secret spot.

PS I have done that twice on parts guitars and both times I eventually forgot all about it.

Wildcard_35

Tele-Meister
Question: Were you having trouble with the strings jumping off? My Deluxe Strat from the 90s doesn't have string retainers because it has a Wilkinson roller nut that makes string retainers unnecessary. Sometimes you just don't need them.

Archtops

Tele-Holic
Don’t wax it, cover it with a sticker or forget about it. It only takes 1/2 an hour to fix it properly.
Rosewood is on the way! Best of luck!

cjp60

Tele-Meister
Furniture scratch stick is your answer. I’ve done a lot of cabinet work and the wax sticks you get when purchasing new cabinets fill brad nail holes incredibly well. Cheap, easy and un-noticeable.

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
Here's what you get when you go the plug/dowel route. A luthier did this to me when he claimed he forgot to set his depth gauge ... I asked him how it happened on the 2nd tuner, not the first and he changed the subject. That was the last time I ever took my guitar to a luthier.

Plugs are more visible than filler because they are perfectly round and always show a glue line around them. I wound up installing a headstock veneer to match the pickguard over it

gIYaTl.jpg