1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Let's make a neck!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Aug 2, 2017.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Great! That's the point of it. This isn't the easiest program to learn because it is so powerful. If you can't get unstuck, just ask and some of us will jump in.

2. mojoatomic

mojoatomic Tele-Holic

OK - when you said you deleted the surface circles inside of the peg holes after extrusion, how do you do that?

3. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Go on then... and in the spirit of the forum, why don't you share your progress on a thread. It will be a good replacement for your warped USACG neck...

adirondak5, awasson and guitarbuilder like this.
  4. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

This was the exact point when I gave up on my neck model - loving the thread Marty, incredibly useful resource!

guitarbuilder likes this.
  5. guitarbuilder

When you split the extruded surfaces ( the tube shape from the plane) , it leaves a pancake -like surface in the peghead. It doesn't delete it until you do that for the piece split. You just have to click on the edge of it and hit delete. Use the render command up at the top to check and see if it is gone. When you click in an area, it'll show all the things that are there and you can move the cursor a bit to get on them. See if that makes any difference.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  6. mojoatomic

mojoatomic Tele-Holic

Thanks, that got it. I had to do another split, then could delete the holes on both sides -

7. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

OK - after reading that I realise now how it must have sounded so ARROGANT!! Here's what I meant: Not to bust Guitarbuilders' chops but he's going the LONG way to making a neck. I have several necks in various stages that are mostly complete and only need inlay work and frets. I didn't mean to sound so short when I posted but I had to leave and I didn't have a lot of time to elaborate.

I've toyed with the idea of showing others how I make my necks but I haven't a lot of time to explain what I'm doing while I do it. It's not hard to do IF you have the right tools and a little imagination as to what woods, and how to do this without a lot of money. A good router, some sandpaper, a drill, a fret scale guage, a good solid table to work on, and a template of the neck shape is all you basically need! Rhino is a lot more than one guitar neck needs - I would only suggest this if you're going to make a large run of necks for production. What he's doing is above and beyond what I do to get the same result!

8. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

A picture is worth 1000 words

[​IMG]

9. guitarbuilder

deleted and reposted below

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  10. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

It seems like you are missing the point of Marty's (guitarbuilders) post here. It isn't about the right way to make a neck or how to make a neck. It is a tutorial on using Rhino to design a neck that will then be used to carve the neck via a CNC machine. Marty has built / made quite a few guitars and necks in his life utilizing a wide variety of methods and tools. He has shared his knowledge and experience quite freely on this site and others. And for all the help and advice he has given, he never has been arrogant or condescending about it. He just offers his take on an issue / challenge and leaves it up to the reader as to what course of action to take. And as he often signs his post with.... ymmv.

Ekko, Mat UK, R. Stratenstein and 3 others like this.
  11. guitarbuilder

You're new here aren't you....:)

12. Solaris moon

CUTE!! Well, since you're the guitar making expert - why don't you show us the way, oh wise all knowing one!

Nope! Look at my user ID panel. I didn't read all the posts here - I just skimmed over them. I figured that you were wanting to make a new neck and decided to use Rhino to do it wth a homemade CNC machine - which are the words that caught my eye. Don't piss on my parade - I made a mistake. SHOOT ME!!! :(

13. adirondak5

No , I'm no expert , but I consider Marty (guitarbuilder) to be one , and so do a lot of other folks here . And yes , maybe that picture was cute but it was a kind response to a dubious post .

Ekko, R. Stratenstein and awasson like this.
  14. Solaris moon

DUBIOUS POST? What's so - do you know what dubious means? Um here - how do you think guitars were made BEFORE CNC machines existed? Obviously you're NOT a guitar maker or you would know that there is nothing hard to believe about my post or anything that I said in it. But if you want to cover your face with your hand, then feel free to be the blind leading the blind Captain! I've said what I felt I needed to so I'm done here. No more posts will be read by me as I'm going to unsubscribe to this thread.

15. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

Please take the discussion elsewhere.

Now, back to the thread. Your progress log is amazing. Rhino is powerful, yet picky. And for those interested in learning how to use Rhino, you are using and explaining two of the most important tips when modeling in Rhino:
    1. Use construction lines. Add them. Move them. Delete them. But use them, not just your basic shape or profile
    2. Create and use points. Id say that is one of the most understated and underused power strategies when modeling.

So, back to you, thanks! I wish I had this thread two years ago when I went the same path with Rhino and the neck.

awasson, Modman68 and guitarbuilder like this.
  16. adirondak5

Sorry for the distraction Marty :(

17. guitarbuilder

Stuff happens...…and I'm no expert in anything....my burn pile will support that... I just do what I do....

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, Herb and Marty, he has a point. I think you two nimrods should look into how guitars were made before CNC. o_Oo_O**

But meanwhile, Marty, even some of us non CNC-eras are enjoying seeing how these things are worked out. Please do continue . . .

**This literally made me laugh!

Ekko, guitarbuilder and adirondak5 like this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, this is really neat to look through and follow the CNC program/ CAD process!
    (I assume this would be a CAD program?)

I'm pretty much physically not able to work in the trades any longer but not ready for retirement, and missed a possible job last spring as an architects assistant because I don't know CAD.
    Even looked into getting some training in it but my computer skills are lacking and my assumption has been that CAD must be counter intuitive.

All the pics in part 4 make it seem more realistic, thanks for posting so much step by step!

guitarbuilder and awasson like this.
  20. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Another highly detailed tutorial Marty! THANKS! Of course it goes way over my poor snowy-white head!!!:( All you CNC guys !!!!!!! I take's me hat off to you all!!! My problem these days I suspect is the early onset of senile dementia, well probably not too early, I'm 70 Y.O. I have trouble remembering where I left my keys or where I put that screwdriver sitting in front of me on the bench. My dear old Mum bless her soul, went the same way and it is a bit of a worry for me, but you up there technically guys who understand this magic amaze me.

I shall hopefully be doing a build thread in the near future which will be close to, if nor my last one, as I have more than 12 guitars but don't play anymore except in front of the TV when there's nothing on, and I was never much of a player anyway.

Keep up the good work Marty, we appreciate it, even if some of us here don't understand exactly what you're talking about! :lol:

DC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.