Lets Hear One of Your "Back in my Day" Stories

Lef T

Tele-Afflicted
Whether you are older or younger,I'd like to hear one of your back in my day stories.
I'll start with one that I had just told my girlfriend.
We were talking about our youth and how our families didn't always have the most modern conveniences.
I was probably around 8 years old and went to visit my grandfather on his farm.
I had to go to the bathroom and they pointed me to the outhouse.
"Outhouse"?????
Man,that was kind of scary.
I could picture something hiding in that black hole,just waiting to pull me in.
To top it off there was no toilet paper.
It was a big Sears Catalogue.

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
I have reverted back to my childhood and adolescence in recent years. I have "re-taken-up" baseball card collecting, vinyl records, and most recently, the desire to be a hobo. I have been watching "Hobo Shoestring" on a loop on You Tube. I'm not ever going to ride the rails, but it really gets my juices flowing..... Not sure if this counts....

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
Back in the day when we were kids, summer time meant you woke up early, ate breakfast, then had to go outside... and stay outside.

Water from the hose. Lunch whistle let you know to make your way home. Sandwiches were handed to you while you were outside. You played until dinner time. Came in, washed up, ate, and got booted out again until the street lights came on. Then your ass better be back home.

Yeah... it was a way different world.
FG

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Back in my day..... When I was in third grade I got a bright red Columbia three speed bike for Christmas. Now that I was out of the "lower" elementary school, grades three through five were at an elementary school downtown in my little beachfront community. Beginning that spring, I was allowed to ride my bike to school. I still remember the first morning riding my bike in, zipping by the kids waiting at the school bus stop. In my mind I imagined that it was the same feeling that our parents had, on their way to work in their cars, when they drove past the kids at the bus stop. I really felt like I was well on my way to adulthood. It was a good time to be nine years old.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
My great grandfather, who I knew and was close to, was a child laborer/indentured servant from Ireland.

He lived and worked on a potato farm in Nova Scotia from about 12 to 18 years old.

After that he was free to go be with his extended family in Albany, NY. He got a job on the railroad and worked there his entire adult life.

He was a true old school gentleman with a hump in his back from the work. And he couldn’t stand the sight of potato’s.

And best of all, he would take me to the dog track to place dollar bets on the races.

radtz

Tele-Afflicted
Back in the day when we were kids, summer time meant you woke up early, ate breakfast, then had to go outside... and stay outside.

Water from the hose. Lunch whistle let you know to make your way home. Sandwiches were handed to you while you were outside. You played until dinner time. Came in, washed up, ate, and got booted out again until the street lights came on. Then your ass better be back home.

Yeah... it was a way different world.
FG
this all sounds familiar. Then one day, we found a whole box of dirty magazines in the woods. Best. Day. Ever.

Slip Kid

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Does this count? I went on a “back in my day” rant last Friday after learning my son had school canceled because of rain. Granted, the temperature was going to be dropping later in the day…much later as it turned out. I’m all for the kids getting to and from school safely but our local system tends to over do it lately, many canceled days for what turns out to be nothing. That being said, back in my day, being the mid to late ‘70’s when I was in elementary school, I vividly remember looking out the classroom window and watching heavy snow fall while we waited in anticipation for early dismissals that never came.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Back in 1970 the local rock festival was $6 to get in. What a rip off! :lol:
It was like 15 mins from our house.
We snuck in though....the line up:
  • Bo Diddley
  • Flying Burrito Brothers
  • Ten Years After
  • Guess Who
  • Albert Collins
  • Santana
  • Youngbloods
  • It's a Beautiful Day
  • Byrds
  • Ike & Tina Turner Revue
  • Lonnie Mack
  • Chicago Transit Authority
  • Chuck Berry
  • Blacksnake
  • Spirit
  • Vanilla Fudge
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Lee Michaels
  • The Doors

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
1965 visiting grandparents in Iowa, we lived in Hawaii. My grandparents lived in a two block railroad junction town, grain elevator, tractor dealer, volunteer fire department.

1) The telephone was the crank phone where you rang the operator and told her where you were calling to be connected.
2) Visited grandmas sister on the farm, spent the night: hand pump well water, wood stove cooking, oil lamp lighting, and...... the outhouse.

I'm glad I experienced this otherwise I wouldn't understand.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
after school, we were not to be in the house till dinner

we had a huge wood at the bottom of the street that stretched for miles through vines and deciduous forest that was home to herds of deer

at the bottom was a creek that cut through sedimentary rocks, and we would cut vines and swing over it to see who could swing the farthest

we climbed trees into treehouses built by bigger kids who left magazines of people getting wild up there in the wind and stillness

at dusk we would go home, and dinner waiting

in the summer, the late sun would make everything green leaf warm and every noise a kind of music

at night, the moisture and cicadas