Let's hear it for the key of "A"!

jazztele

Poster Extraordinaire
klasaine said:
F is my favorite key for anything - seriously.

Great dark tone, still have lower octave roots and 5ths as well as plenty of open string notes for twang and dissonance.

*Twang and Dissonance ... hmmm, I'm registering that - twang and dissonance©

Another great key...

Bb is still my favorite....the open high E is a #11 for crying out loud! But that's money in F, too.

musicalmartin

Poster Extraordinaire
I never give a key a thought .I just play up and down and learn all my runs and bits and bobs in all keys .I do play in A a lot as I sing in A ...so there :twisted:.Most keys just suit the singer ,thats the mystery to all guitarists who cant sing.:lol:

telepath

Friend of Leo's
60 cycle mains hum (US) is close to A♯
50 cycle mains hum (UK) is closer to G♯

Could always tune up a tad and just 'hide' that darned single coil hum in your favourite key .. ;)

old goat

Tele-Holic
Hope I'm not making a light-hearted thread too serious but I don't think you should have a favorite key. It's important to understand how different keys give different voicings that are appropriate for different kinds of songs. For example--barred E chords work well for blues but G voicings work a lot better for a lot of country songs. Try taking a song from a soprano female singer and transpose it for a lower voice and you'll often find that the guitar parts don't sound right if you try to play first position chords or capo up too many frets. (I did see an excellent bluegrass guitar player--forget his name--who capo'd everything so he could finger in G (the people's key) but he never had to go up more than 4 frets.)

MASONish

Tele-Holic
The key of "A" seems to be the favorite for most of us chicken pickers. Once you get really familiar with any key, start transposing licks into different keys so you don't get handicapped into any particular key. A must for the art of chicken pickin'!!

JFD84

TDPRI Member
I like A, it's my go to key when I want to impress a pretty girl with some pentatonic licks, but G is my true love.

I love you, G.

horsespatoot

Tele-Holic
Who remembers ..... Fingertips encore ...... "what key? what key?"
I used to get goose bumps when I listened to that encore .... I still get goose bumps when I hear certain songs.

BigD

Friend of Leo's
I guess I prefer G and E and A and B for "love making music". I get to playing along with some Bobby King backing tracks in B and even the dogs get frisky. I like G and E for all the open string drones. I play alone so I have to be my own bass player and drummer.

Mr_Mer

Tele-Holic
Lydian F, starting on A as root. Or Myxolidian G.

Those seem to sound good over A chord progressions. At least to me.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I lived in the beautiful "Frozen North" for a decade or so.
You know, C-A-n-A-d-A.;)
I avoid A now.
Too cold.:lol:
I knew a G man once, too serious.
F it.:rolleyes:

redstringuitar

Poster Extraordinaire
A is my favourite single finger key.

I also love open D with the open A thrown in for more balls.

F.....isn't that reserved for Green Onions?