1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Let's Hear it For the '72 Deluxe RI Thin, Flat Neck!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Skoolboy Jim, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Skoolboy Jim

Skoolboy Jim TDPRI Member

Man, I wish more Tele's had this neck besides the '72 Deluxe and the Nashville.

But I wanna stick a single-coil in the bridge. What is the best way to do that? Put the single-coil in a new pickguard and mount it that way or preferably use an ashtray bridge to put it in an route the pickguard around it?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Those are pretty much your only choices to mod your existing guitar.

I think it would almost be easier to buy a '72 Custom (or at least the loaded body) and swap necks with the Deluxe.

3. Skoolboy Jim

Skoolboy Jim TDPRI Member

That's what I was thinking, but it looks like the Deluxe neck and the Custom neck pockets don't have a good match!

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I couldn't find a photo of the neck pocket for the Deluxe, but I did find one for the Custom - Fender is using the "modern" style neck pocket so they should be interchangeable, and they are both 3-bolt necks.

Historically it was easy to fit a neck with a Strat heel onto a Tele (there might be tiny gaps because the Strat neck is slightly more curved at the bottom than the Tele neck) but going the other way around you had to do a little woodwork to make a Tele neck fit a Strat body. With the modernized pocket both necks should fit.

You could always get the Custom (or the body) from some place with a good return policy and ship it back if it didn't work.

Skoolboy Jim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.